Daily Current Affairs 13 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Prime Minister inaugurates ‘The Delhi End TB Summit’
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a campaign to eradicate tuberculosis (TB) from India by 2025, five years ahead of a globally-set deadline. After inaugurating the Delhi End-TB Summit, the prime minister launched the TB-free India Campaign to take the activities under the National Strategic Plan for TB Elimination forward in a mission mode for ending the epidemic by 2025.
Centre to build 2,000-km of connectivity roads
The government has planned to construct 1,911- km international connectivity roads and 3,319-km border roads under its flagship Bharatmala programme.
- The project would be completed in a phased manner, with the first phase set to be completed betweem 2017-18 and 2021-22.
Centre forms Tribunal to solve Mahanadi Water dispute between Odisha & Chhattisgarh
The Centre has constituted a three-member Mahanadi Water Disputes Tribunal, with Supreme Court Judge AM Khanwilkar as the Chairman, to adjudicate the dispute between Odisha and Chhattisgarh over sharing the river’s water.
- The Tribunal, which will have its headquarters in Delhi, has been constituted following the Supreme Court orders in January in a suit filed by the Odisha Government.
SC extends deadline to link Aadhaar with various services till final judgement
The Supreme Court (five-judge Constitution bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra) extended the March 31 deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to avail various services and welfare schemes run by the government.
- This relaxation will be effective till the constitution bench delivers a final verdict on the validity of Aadhaar number and its enabling law.
- The extension of the deadline would also apply on the mandatory linking with the bank accounts and mobile phone numbers.
Govt to institute award for best investigators of crime
The government has decided to institute an award for carrying out best investigation of crime for promoting high professional standards among police forces.
- The award – Union Home Minister’s Medal for Excellence in Police Investigation – will be given to the best investigators of police forces of States, Union Territories and central investigating agencies.
- Officers from the rank of Sub-Inspector to Superintendent of Police are eligible for the award.
RBI discontinues Letters of Undertaking, Letters of Comfort for trade credit
The Reserve Bank of India discontinued Letters of Undertaking (LoUs) and Letters of Comfort (LoCs) for Trade Credits.
- The RBI said that the Letters of Credit will be continued to be issued subject to compliance with the provisions contained in Department of Banking Regulation Master Circular on ‘Guarantees and Co-acceptances’ dated July 1, 2015.
IBBI, RBI ink MoU for effectively implementing Bankruptcy Code
The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on cooperation for an effective implementation of the Bankruptcy Code.
- The MoU provides for “sharing of information between the two parties, subject to the limitations imposed by the applicable laws” and “sharing of resources available with each other to the extent feasible and legally permissible.
ICICI launches instant online overdraft facility for MSMEs
Private banking major ICICI Bank announced the launch of an instant overdraft facility for the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) customers in a completely online and paperless manner.
- Titled ‘InstaOD’, this first-of-its-kind offering in the Indian banking industry enables a few lakhs of pre-qualified current account customers of the bank to instantly avail the facility without visiting a branch and submitting physical documents.
- This facility significantly improves customers’ convenience, as they get an overdraft facility upto Rs. 15 lakh for a year anytime, anywhere, using the bank’s internet and mobile banking app.
NDB, ISA tie up to promote solar energy
New Development Bank and International Solar Alliance have joined hands to promote solar energy across the globe. The NDB and the ISA agreed to consider a roadmap for the mobilisation of financing to promote solar energy in countries of common interest and to explore mechanisms for supporting solar energy development.
IPL unveils anthem for 2018 edition
The Indian Premier League (IPL) launched the anthem for the 2018 edition, starting April 7, with defending champions Mumbai Indians taking on Chennai Super Kings.
- The BCCI and Star India have collaborated to create anthem for the campaign this year. And aptly, they have named the anthem “Best vs Best”.
- The anthem has been released in five languages — Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, Kannada and Telugu — across all platforms (TV, radio, and digital).
Sebastian Pinera sworn in as Chile’s president
Businessman-turned politician Sebastian Pinera was sworn in as Chile’s president, beginning what will be his second term in office after a four-year absence.
Bhandari Reelected As Nepal President
Nepal’s first woman president Bidya Devi Bhandari has been reelected for a second term in office. Incumbent President Bhandari defeated Nepali Congress leader Kumari Laxmi Rai with an overwhelming majority in the presidential election.
Delhi’s first Commissioner of Police passes away
First Commissioner of Delhi Police and former Director General of Uttar Pradesh Police Jayendra Nath Chaturvedi has passed away.
Lucknow’s legendary Begum Hamida Habibullah passes away
Former UP minister and one of the most popular faces in the state capital, Begum Hamida Habibullah has passed away.