Daily Current Affairs 13 March 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
First Meeting of BRICS CGETI held under India’s Chairship
The first Meeting of the BRICS Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues (CGETI) was held under India’s Chairship.
- The theme of BRICS this year is -“BRICS at 15: Intra BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation, and Consensus”.
- India presented the calendar of events for BRICS CGETI 2021, which included the priority areas for deliverables, schedule and scope of the MSME roundtable conference workshop on Services Statistics, and the BRICS Trade Fair.
INS Jalashwa reaches Madagascar’s Antsiranana Port with Indian Naval training team on-board
INS Jalashwa reached the port of Antsiranana, Madagascar with an Indian Naval training team on-board. The Indian Naval training team will be deployed in Madagascar for capacity building and training of the Malagasy Special Forces for two weeks.
- INS Jalashwa will leave for Comoros to deliver 1000 metric tonnes of rice and then will head to the Port of Ehoala in Madagascar to deliver a consignment of 1000 metric tonnes of rice and one lakh tablets of HCQ.
- The supplies of food assistance and support for capacity building to Madagascar is in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of SAGAR and India’s time-tested role as a net security provider in the Indian Ocean Region.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Bengaluru airport launches India’s first dedicated express cargo terminal
The Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru has India’s first dedicated Express Cargo Terminal exclusively for export and import of international couriers.
- The two lakh square feet built to suit facility will be operated by Express Industry Council of India.
- It has a dedicated space for customs offices with direct access to both Landside and Airside wing of the airport.
India moves to No. 2 in T20I rankings, Rahul third among batsmen
India climbed to the second spot in the latest ICC men’s T20 International team rankings ahead of a five-match series against top-placed England beginning on March 12.
- In the T20 batting chart, India batsman KL Rahul lost a place to be at the third spot, but skipper Virat Kohli retained his sixth position.
- Australia’s Ashton Agar and New Zealand’s Ish Sodhi made big gains, with the former moving to fourth and the latter to eighth after climbing four and three places, respectively.
- Left-arm Sri Lankan spinner Lakshan Sandakan, who took six wickets in the series against West Indies, broke into the top 10 at the 10th spot after gaining nine spots.
Mithali Raj becomes first Indian woman to score 10,000 international runs, second overall
Captain of the India women’s team, Mithali Raj became the first woman cricketer from the country and only the second overall to score 10000 international runs.
- Mithali, playing her 212th ODI for India, achieved the landmark during the third match of the bilateral series against South Africa, with a boundary off medium-pacer Anne Bosch before getting out the next ball.
- Mithali is second only to Charlotte Edwards in terms of the overall leading run-scorer in women’s international cricketer. Edwards, a former England cricketer, has scored 10207 runs from 309 matches with 67 half-centuries and 13 hundreds.
Govt appoints G P Samanta as new Chief Statistician of India
The Indian government appointed Dr G P Samanta as the new Chief Statistician of India (CSI).
- Samanta will replace 1986-batch IAS officer Dr Kshatrapati Shivaji who was holding additional charge of the post since September 2020.
- Dr Samanta was currently deputed as an advisor in the RBI’s Department of Statistics and Information Management.
Ambassador of India to Thailand receives King Bhumibol World Soil Day – 2020 Award for ICAR
Ambassador of India to Thailand Suchitra Durai received the prestigious King Bhumibol World Soil Day – 2020 Award of Food and Agriculture Organization on the behalf of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives of Thailand Dr. Chalermchai Srion conferred the award in a Ceremony held at Bangkok.
- The international recognition was announced by the Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome on the eve of World Soil Day – 2020 in view of the ICAR’s excellent contributions in Soil Health Awareness on the theme Stop soil erosion, save our future during the last year.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Mera Ration Mobile App for migratory ration card holders launched
Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution launched Mera Ration Mobile App for the benefit of those ration card holders who move to new places in search of livelihood.
- At present 32 States and Union Territories are covered under One Nation One Ration Card- ONORC and integration of remaining four States and UTs is expected to be completed in next few months.
- At present, the system covers nearly 69 Crore National Food Security Act- NFSA beneficiaries in the country.
World’s Most Powerful Supercomputer Fugaku is ready for use
The world’s most powerful supercomputer Fugaku is now fully developed in Japan, and the machine is available for research use.
- Japanese scientific research institute RIKEN and Fujitsu began development six years ago with an aim to make the device core of Japan’s computing infrastructure. Then, in April 2020, it was tested particularly in projects to combat COVID-19 pandemic.
- Fugaku has topped the Top500 list, a supercomputer benchmark index, for two consecutive years. The computer has 100 times the application performance of K supercomputer and is developed to implement high-resolution, long-duration and large-scale simulations.
Prime Minister of Ivory Coast Hamed Bakayoko passes away
Prime Minister of Ivory Coast, Hamed Bakayoko, passed away in a hospital in Germany.
- He was appointed Prime Minister in July, following the sudden death of his predecessor Amadou Gon Coulibaly.
- A former media executive who turned to politics, he played a prominent mediation role in Ivory Coast’s civil war during the first decade of the century.
National Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) Day
National Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) Day observed on March 10.
- The aim of the day is to raise awareness about the link between maternal health and diabetes nationwide, and inviting pregnant women to hospitals and clinics for free screening.
World Kidney Day
World Kidney Day (WKD) is celebrated every year on the second Thursday of March. This year World Kidney Day fall on March 11.
- It is the global awareness campaign to raise awareness of the importance of kidneys to our health and to reduce the impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.
- This year theme is ‘Living Well with Kidney Disease’. This year’s theme aims to focus on the measures that can be taken to live a fulfilling life with kidney disease.