Daily Current Affairs 13 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
British Princle Charles is on a 2 day visit to India
Prince Charles, heir-to-the-British throne, is on an official visit to India with a focus on sustainable markets, climate change and social finance. This is the Prince of Wales’s, heir apparent to the British throne, tenth official visit to India that will focus on boosting the ties between India and the United Kingdom.
India to host 19th council of heads of government of SCO 2020
India will host the 19th council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation 2020. The first such high-level meeting of the 8-member grouping to be organised by New Delhi after its admission into the grouping in 2017.
- The SCO is a China-led eight-member economic and security bloc in which India and Pakistan were admitted as full members in 2017.
- The latest Summit of heads of government was held in Tashkent in November 2019.
Ficci signs Fintech MoU with Singapore; BHIM-UPI QR to go global
Industry body Ficci signed an agreement with Singapore Fintech Association (SFA) to boost cooperation for development of financial technology industry in India and the southeast Asian country.
- A soft launch is scheduled of the acceptance of BHIM-UPI QR based payments in Singapore with a live transaction.
- This is the first time that BHIM app will go international. The project is being jointly developed by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Network for Electronic Transfers (NETS) of Singapore.
- This is a QR based payment system that will allow anyone with a BHIM app to make payments at NETS terminals in Singapore.
President’s rule imposed in Maharashtra
President Ram Nath Kovind approved imposition of President’s rule in Maharashtra after state governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari made a recommendation to that effect, citing his unsuccessful efforts at government formation in the state.
- The newly-elected Maharashtra assembly will be kept under suspended animation for now, and can be revived and President’s rule lifted as and when some party works out an alliance that is in a position to offer a stable government.
‘Swachh – Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan’ launched in Visakhapatnam
In an attempt to improve the sanitation on beaches and create awareness among citizens about the importance of coastal ecosystems, the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF) has launched the mass cleanliness drive at 50 beaches in 10 coastal States and union territories across the country.
- ‘Swachh – Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan’ , the weeklong programme is being conducted in the coastal cities and towns on the east, west and southern coast of India in collaboration with the National Green Corps.
Haryana sets up Economic Advisory Council to promote industries
Haryana government led by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has constituted an Economic Advisory Council (EAC) to promote industries in the state and address issues related to various issues and policies of economic development.
- CM Khattar will head the council.
Odisha: ‘Bali Yatra’ festival begins in Cuttack
The festival ‘Bali Yatra’ which is organised every year in memory of the rich maritime history of the state, has begun in Cuttack, Odisha.
- The festival is organised at the bank of Mahanadi River every year to mark the day when ancient mariners from the state would set sail to the distant land of Bali, Sumatra, Java (Jawa) in Indonesia, Borneo and Sri Lanka, for the expansion of trade and Culture.
India-US tri-services exercise ‘Tiger Triumph’ begins in Vizag
The maiden India-US joint tri-services Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) exercise named ‘Tiger Triumph’ has began at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The Exercise is aimed to develop interoperability for conducting HADR operations.
Suranga Bawadi included on World Monument Watch list
Suranga Bawadi, an integral part of the ancient Karez system of supplying water through subterranean tunnels built during Adil Shahi era in Vijayapura, Karnataka, is now set to get funding for restoration. A New York-based non-governmental organisation has included it in the World Monument Watch list for 2020 along with 24 other monuments from across the world.
- The monument has been selected under the ‘Ancient Water System of the Deccan Plateau’ by World Monuments Fund [the NGO], which monitors restoration of ancient monuments across the globe.
Piyush Goyal attends 9th BRICS trade ministers meet
Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal attended the 9th BRICS trade ministers meet in Brasilia, Brazil during which he deliberated on the global economic climate with his counterparts from other member nations.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s GDP likely to grow 5% this fiscal: SBI report
An SBI research report that is published recently has sharply cut the country’s GDP growth forecast to 5 percent for FY 2019-20 from the earlier projection of 6.1 percent. It is according to Ecowrap — the report from the Economic Research Department of State Bank of India (SBI).
Bolivia’s Opposition lawmaker Jeanine Anez declares herself interim president
Jeanine Anez, Bolivia’s opposition lawmaker and Senate second vice-president, has declared herself to be the country’s interim president, a day after ousted leader Evo Morales resigned from the presidency.
World Pneumonia Day
Since 2009, November 12 has been observed as World Pneumonia Day to raise awareness about the infection. The World Health Organisation (WHO) identifies pneumonia is the single largest cause of death in children worldwide.
- This year’s theme is “Healthy Lungs for all”.
World Kindness Day
World Kindness Day is celebrated annually on 13th November. It was formed in 1998, to promote kindness throughout the world. It is to highlight good deeds in the community focusing on the positive power and the common thread of kindness which binds us.
- The Theme of World Kindness Day 2019 is empathy, encouraging people across the globe to better understand “the pains of others” and touch their lives “positively”.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs