Daily Current Affairs 13 October 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi chairs meeting on ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a meeting on ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ programme in Delhi. Under the initiative, the government plans to hold people-to-people exchange between states to enhance knowledge about each others culture.
- ‘Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat’ highlights India’s diversity and furthers national unity. The goal of the initiative is to develop a holistic national perspective on important issues and encourage the celebration of India’s vibrant regional cultures.
Arvind Kejriwal launches ‘Farishte Dilli Ke’ initiative
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched a scheme ‘Farishte Dilli Ke’ to honour good samaritans who take accident victims to hospital, and said at least 3,000 lives were saved during the pilot project of the initiative which ran for 18 months.
- Under the scheme, the city government will incur the treatment expenditure of eligible road accident victims and give incentives to those who helped them.
Garbage Cafe inaugurated in Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh
Chhattisgarh Health Minister T S Singhdeo inaugurated a ‘Garbage Cafe’, which will provide free food in exchange for plastic waste.
- The cafe, situated in Ambikapur, which bagged the title of the second cleanest city in India, through the initiative, will provide impetus to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘plastic-free’ India resolve.
- The tagline of the cafe says, ‘More the waste better the taste’.
National Indigenous Seed Festival held in Manipur
National Indigenous Seeds Festival held at the Central Agricultural University (CAU) campus, Iroishemba, Manipur. The festival aims to create awareness on conserving the indigenous seed ecosystem, reviving of indigenous seeds, networking with farmers, protecting traditional wisdom, ensuring agro-biodiversity and agro-ecology conservation activities.
Kerala Nun Sister Mariam Thresia, 4 Others Declared Saints By Pope Francis
Indian nun Sister Mariam Thresia and four others were declared Saints by Pope Francis at a grand ceremony at the Vatican City, Rome.
- Sister Thresia, who founded the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Family in Thrissur in May 1914, was raised to the highest position within the centuries-old institution during the ceremony at the St Peter’s Square.
- Sister Thresia was born on April 26, 1876 in Kerala’s Thrissur district. She died on June 8, 1926 at the age of 50. On April 9, 2000, she was beatified by Pope John Paul II.
Inter Parliamentarian Union (IPU) Meeting held in Serbia
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla visited Serbia to attend the 141st Assembly of the Inter Parliamentarian Union (IPU) from October 13 to October 17.
- IPU is an international organisation of the parliaments of sovereign states with its headquarters at Geneva, Switzerland.
Indo-US joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ starts in Seattle
The 10th edition of the joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ between India and the US was held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Seattle, USA.
- ‘Vajra Prahar’ is a Special Forces joint training exercise conducted alternately in India and the US.
- Earlier in September, a joint military training exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas’ had taken place at the Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington DC.
Typhoon Hagibis strikes northern Japan
Typhoon Hagibis stroked Tokyo, capital of Japan after fierce rain and wind paralysed the capital. The cyclone Hagibis which caused floods, landslides and emergency disaster warnings, could be the strongest to hit Tokyo since 1958.
- “Hagibis” means “speed” in the Philippine language Tagalog.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB, India sign $190 million loan for improving road connectivity in Rajasthan
The Asian Development Bank and the Government of India signed a $190 million loan to upgrade 754 kilometres of state highways and major district roads (MDRs) to two-lane or intermediate-lane standards that will benefit about 26 million people in 14 districts of Rajasthan.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India jumps to 7th spot in Brand Finance Nation ranking
As per the latest report by independent brand valuation consultancy Brand Finance, India jumped two levels to 7th position in the Brand Finance Nation ranking of 2019 despite the reduction in the overall economic growth due to slowdown in the manufacturing and construction sectors.
- The list was topped by the United States of America (USA).
14-year-old R Praggnanandhaa crowned under-18 chess champion
Fourteen-year-old R Praggnanandhaa has won the gold in the under-18 open category in the World Youth Chess Championship.
- Praggnanandhaa scored an impressive and unbeaten 9/11 and he ended with a performance rating over 2700.
Eliud Kipchoge becomes 1st athlete to run sub 2-hour marathon
Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge has become the 1st athlete to run sub 2-hour marathon. He busted the mythical 2-hour barrier for the marathon on a specially prepared course in a huge Vienna park.
- He finished the marathon with an unofficial time of 1 hr 59 min 40.2 sec and became the first ever to run a marathon in under 2 hours.
M C Mary Kom wins bronze in World Women’s Boxing Championships
M C Mary Kom has won the bronze medal in the 51kg event of World Women’s Boxing Championships held in Ulan-Ude, Russia.
- She lost in an intense semifinal bout to Turkey’s Busenaz Cakiroglu. This bronze is her first world medal in the 51kg category.
Sara Danius, the first female head of Nobel’s literature award body, passes away
Sara Danius, the first female head of the prestigious Swedish body that awards the Nobel Prize in Literature, has passed away. She was 57. She passed away following a long illness.
- Danius, who was a literature critic, professor and writer, served as the first female permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy between 2015 and 2018.
Alexei Leonov, the first human to walk in space, passes away
Alexei Leonov, the legendary Soviet cosmonaut who became the first human to walk in space 54 years ago and who nearly didn’t make it back into his space capsule, has passed away in Moscow at 85.
International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction
The United Nations observes International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction on 13 October every year. The day celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters and raising awareness about the importance of reining in the risks that they face.
- This year’s theme is “Reduce disaster damage to critical infrastructure and disruption of basic services”.
World Arthritis Day
World Arthritis Day is celebrated every year on October 12. It is observed to raise awareness about the Arthritis around the world.
- The theme of the World Arthritis Day 2019 is Time2Work.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs