Daily Current Affairs 13 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Narendra Modi addresses UN World Geospatial International Congress
Addressing the Second United Nations World Geospatial International Congress via video message, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that steps taken by India over the past few years has been of empowering the “last person at the last mile’’, reflecting the theme of this year’s conference — ‘Geo-Enabling the Global Village: No one should be left behind’.
- The United Nations Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM) convened the conference on UNWGIC 2022 and was organised by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. It was hosted by the ministry of science and technology of the government of India.
- The goal of this year’s UNWGIC is to promote a broad dialogue on global geospatial information management with all relevant governments, non-governmental organisations, academia, and the private sector.
Centre Extends Ethanol subsidy scheme till March 2023
The Centre has extended the timeline for disbursement of loans up to March 31,2023 under the ethanol blending programme interest subsidy scheme, notified first in 2018, to facilitate entrepreneurs to complete their projects while availing of government support.
- In a The Centre has extended the timeline for disbursement of loans up to March 31 under the ethanol blending programme interest subsidy scheme, notified first in 2018, to facilitate entrepreneurs to complete their projects while availing of government support.
Tele-MANAS launched for mental health assistance and networking across states
The Tele Mental Health Assistance and Networking Across States (Tele-MANAS) initiative of the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare was launched on occasion of the World Mental Health Day on October 10,2022.
- Tele-MANAS aims to provide free tele-mental health services all over the country round the clock, particularly catering to people in remote or under-served areas.
- The programme includes a network of 23 tele-mental health centres of excellence, with NIMHANS being the nodal centre and International Institute of Information Technology-Bangalore (IIITB) providing technology support.
BANKING & FINANCE
Indians to be able to pay in Europe using UPI soon
Indians will soon be able to make payments through UPI (United Payments Interface) in Europe as NPCI International Payments Ltd (NIPL) has entered into a partnership with European payment services facilitator Worldline.
- The partnership between NIPL and Worldline is aimed at expanding acceptance of Indian payment means across Europe, according to a joint release issued.
- As part of the partnership, Worldline will bring more convenience for Indian customers in the European markets by allowing merchants’ point-of-sale (POS) systems to accept payments from UPI.
RBI cancels licence of Pune-based The Seva Vikas Co-op Bank
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cancelled the license of Pune based Seva Vikas Co-operative Bank as the urban cooperative bank lacked adequate capital and earning prospects.
- The bank ceases to carry on banking business, with effect from the close of business on October 10, 2022, RBI said in a statement.
- Earlier in August 2022 , it had cancelled the license of Pune-based Rupee Cooperative Bank. RBI action is facing legal challenge in Bombay High Court.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Nomura sees slowdown in FY24 India growth to 5.2%
Japanese brokerage Nomura has projected a sharp moderation in India’s growth rate for FY24 to 5.2 per cent as compared to FY23, saying Indian policymakers are misplaced about their optimism on the country’s growth prospects.
- After a week-long meetings with policymakers, corporates, commercial banks and political experts, its economists said its FY23 GDP growth estimate is at 7 per cent at par with the RBI’s revised down forecast but it expects a “sharp moderation” to 5.2 per cent in FY24
Dhoni inaugurates Chennai Super Kings Academy in Hosur
Former India captain and Chennai Super Kings skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni inaugurated the Super Kings Academy at the MS Dhoni Global School in Hosur .MS Dhoni Global School is the first franchise-owned Super Kings Academy in India.
- The Super Kings Academy in Hosur, which has eight pitches and includes turf for practice and a turf-wicket ground for matches, is the third of its kind in the country. The Academy already has centres in Chennai and Salem.
FIFA, AIFF launch ‘Football for Schools’ as Govt of India pledges active support
The FIFA, in partnership with the AIFF, and the support of the Union Government, launched the Football for Schools project in the country, which is aimed at broad-basing the beautiful game across India.
- The FIFA project, which also aims to reach out to over 700 million children worldwide, would lay special emphasis on reaching out to all the tribal communities of the world.
- The project was born four years ago, in a discussion between FIFA and UNESCO, and the idea was to have USD 100 mobilised by FIFA to reach out to over 700 million children across the world.
Union Minister Anurag Thakur inaugurated Water Sports Center in HP
ianuragthakurUnion Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Anurag Singh Thakur has inaugurated a Water Sports Center in Koldam Barmana, Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh.
- The centre will be dedicated to training athletes in water sports like Rowing, Canoeing and Kayaking.
- The Water Sports Centre, the very first of its kind in Himachal Pradesh, has been jointly initiated by the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC). The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was also exchanged between SAI and NTPC during the event.
Ananth Narayan Gopalakrishnan take charges as whole-time member at SEBI
Former banker Ananth Narayan Gopalakrishnan took charge as the fourth whole time member (WTM) in the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi), filling the position vacant since November 2021.
- Narayan, who has been a member of various advisory committees of Sebi and RBI, has been appointed for an initial period of three years.
- Before assuming charge, Narayan was an associate professor at SP Jain Institute of Management & Research. He has over two and half decades of experience in the banking and financial markets, during which he held the position of Regional Head of Financial Markets for ASEAN and South Asia at Standard Chartered Bank.