Daily Current Affairs 13 September 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Home Ministry grants FCRA registration to Golden Temple
The Union Home Ministry has granted Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) registration to the famous Gurdwara Harmandir Sahib, or the Golden Temple, in Amritsar, enabling it to receive foreign donations.
- The registration will be initially valid for five years, after which it can be renewed.
- The gurdwara is currently administered by the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), controlled by the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), one of the oldest allies of the BJP.
India is second-fastest-growing freelance market in the world, says report
India is the second-fastest-growing freelance market in the world with a massive increase in the number of freelancers this year, according to a report on ‘Freelancing in 2020: An Abundance of Opportunities’ by Payoneer.
- Furthermore, India witnessed a 46 per cent increase in new freelancers from Q1 to Q2, 2020 as per the report.
- Apart from India, other popular markets for gig workers include the US, Pakistan, and Ukraine.
Odisha Govt launches “GARIMA” welfare scheme for sanitation workers
The Odisha government launched a statewide welfare scheme “GARIMA” for sanitation workers to ensure their safety and dignity.
- The ‘Garima’ scheme will institutionalise and regulate core sanitation services to provide social security and financial benefits to the sanitation workers and their families.
- The scheme aims to promote livelihoods, security and social dignity of sanitation workers through targeted measures.
Odisha Govt signed MoU with NCDC for Promotion and Management of Farmer Producer Organisation
An MoU has been signed between the Government of Odisha and the National Co-operative Development Corporation (NCDC) at Krushi Bhawan for the promotion and management of Farmer Producer Organisation(FPO) .
- This MoU is based on Farmers Producer Organisation (FPO) Promotion and Management with central sector scheme.
- Under this Central scheme, NCCD will be formed Farmer Producer Organisation (FPOs) and will impart training, proper guidance to the small and marginal farmers of Odisha to face various challenges in production, technical knowhow, quality of production, optimum price realisation, credit, seed production, processing, utilisation and marketing.
AP CM Jagan Mohan Reddy launches ‘YSR Aasara’ scheme; 87 lakh women to benefit
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the ‘YSR Aasara’ programme aimed at “empowering women economically and socially”.
- Under the YSR Aasara scheme, Andhra Pradesh government will reimburse outstanding bank loans of self-help groups as on April 11, 2019, in four instalments.
- Rs 6,792.2 crore towards the first installment of the total dues of Rs 27,169 crores was released to the banks of 87,74,674 women belonging to 8.7 lakh SHGs.
Bangladesh launches campaign ‘Asol Chini’ against fake information and rumours
The government of Bangladesh has launched a campaign named ‘Asol Chini’ or ‘real-sugar’ to fight fake information and rumour spreading on social media.
- The three month campaign aims to create digital literacy to stop fake information and rumours.
- A digital platform Durbar21.org has been created for this purpose. Ambassadors will be appointed in districts and sub-divisions to create awareness about fighting rumours and fake information.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI Modernizes its Payment Switching System with ACI Worldwide Technology
ACI Worldwide, a global provider of real-time digital payment software and solutions, has modernized payments infrastructure for ATM and point-of-sale (POS) at State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest bank with more than 440 million account holders.
- Operating more than 58,000 ATMs, the bank is a long-time ACI customer, utilizing its market-leading Retail Payments solution to acquire, authenticate, route, switch and authorize financial transactions across its ATM, POS and eCommerce channels.
- The solution enables SBI’s ATM network to acquire Visa, Mastercard and RuPay cards, as well as manage ATM/POS authorizations. Transaction processing volumes frequently exceed 30 million transactions per day.
Citi names Jane Fraser as CEO, the first woman to lead a major US bank
Multinational investment bank, Citigroup named Jane Fraser as its next chief executive, tapping a woman to lead a giant Wall Street bank for the first time.
- She will take over the top job in February, replacing Michael Corbat who will retire.
- Fraser began her career at Goldman Sachs Group Inc’s mergers and acquisitions department in London, before starting to work for Asesores Bursátiles in Madrid. She has been working for Citigroup for 16 years and been serving in her current capacity since 2019.
Raghuvansh Prasad Singh, who recently quit RJD, passes away in New Delhi
Former Union minister Raghuvansh Prasad Singh passed away while undergoing treatment in New Delhi. Singh, who had recently resigned from RJD, had fallen critically ill after developing post-COVID complications.
World First Aid Day
World First Aid Day is observed on the second Saturday of September, every year to raise public awareness of how first aid can save lives in everyday and crisis situations.
- In 2020 World First Aid Day is on September 12th (Saturday).
- The day is an annual campaign to promote the importance of first aid training in preventing injuries and saving lives.