Daily Current Affairs 13 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
To deal with rise of social media, Election Commission sets up panel to suggest new poll rules
The Election Commission has set up a 14-member panel under Deputy Election Commissioner Umesh Sinha to study how social media and other digital platforms are used ahead of polls and make suggestions on how to adapt the Model Code of Conduct to these changes.
- The panel has three months to suggest changes to Section 126 of the Representation of the People Act, which currently prohibits all campaigning 48 hours before voting.
Delhi and Punjab richest states, Jain wealthiest community: National survey
According to National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4), recently released by the ministry of health and family welfare, Jains are the wealthiest religious community in India. Delhi and Punjab are the richest states. Bihar is the poorest.
- Conducted over 6 lakh Indian households in 2015-16, it also reveals poverty as a largely rural phenomenon.
Int’l Film Festival on Art and Artist begins in Odisha
The 12th International Film Festival on Art and Artist began in Odisha where Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik called upon filmmakers to come forward to work on documentaries and biopics on the literary souls.
Assam celebrates post harvest festival Bhogali Bihu
In Assam, Uruka was being celebrated on 13th January 2018 on the eve of Bhogali Bihu, the post-harvest festival.
India contributes $50K to UN Youth Envoy’s office
India has contributed $50,000 to UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres’s Office of Envoy on Youth to help with its mission of involving young people in the world body’s goals.
- The contribution is voluntary with no strings attached and is in addition to the regular payments India makes to the UN’s general and peacekeeping budgets.
BANKING & FINANCE
India gives $45.27 million aid to develop KKS harbour in Sri Lanka
India has extended a fresh financial assistance of USD 45.27 million for upgrading Kankesanthurai (KKS) Harbour in northern Sri Lanka into a commercial port and strengthening the country’s efforts to become a regional maritime hub.
- The upgradation project would make KKS Harbour a full- fledged commercial port, further strengthening Sri Lanka’s efforts to become a regional maritime hub.
Federal Bank ties up with Hedge Equities
Federal Bank has entered into a strategic partnership with Hedge Equities Ltd for providing Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS) services to NRIs.
Capital First to merge with IDFC Bank
NBFC firm Capital First will merge with IDFC Bank, subject to subject to regulatory and shareholder approvals. Vaidyanathan, who is currently the Chairman and MD of Capital First, will succeed Rajiv Lall as MD and CEO of the combined entity upon completion of the merger and necessary regulatory approvals.
Indu Malhotra becomes 1st woman lawyer directly appointed for SC judgeship
The Supreme Court collegium has recommended the name of senior advocate Indu Malhotra as the first woman lawyer to be directly appointed as a judge of the apex court.
- She will be the seventh woman judge since independence to make it to the Supreme Court. At present, Justice R Banumathi is the lone woman judge in the apex court.
- The first woman to be appointed as a judge of the apex court was Justice M Fathima Beevi in 1989.