Daily Current Affairs 13th June 2017
RBI issues new Rs.500 bank notes with inset letter ‘A’
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced that it has issued Rs.500 bank notes with inset letter ‘A’.
- A new batch of bank notes with inset letter “A” in both the number panels, bearing the signature of Dr. Urjit R. Patel Governor, Reserve Bank of India; with the year of printing ‘2017’ on the reverse, are being issued.
Statistics ministry to change GDP base year to 2017-18 from 2011-12
The statistics ministry is set to change the base year of national accounts to 2017-18 from 2011-12 after completion of the household consumer expenditure survey and labour force data by the end of 2018.
- The household consumer expenditure survey is taking place in 2017-18 and it will be completed by end of June 2018 after which the GDP base year will change.
- Earlier in 2015, the Central Statistics Office (CSO) under the Statistics Ministry had changed the base year for tabulating the Gross Domestic Product or size of economy to 2011-12 from 2004-05.
- Last month, the CSO has changed the base of Index of Industrial Production (IIP), which measures factory output, to 2011-12 from 2004-05. Besides, the base year of Wholesale Price Index (WPI) has also been changed to 2011-12 from 2004- 05.
Centre nod for 100 AYUSH hospitals
The Centre has approved proposals for setting up of 100 Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) hospitals across the country. An AYUSH hospital will be equivalent to AIIMS.
Centre to open 800 passport service centres at head post offices
The Centre has decided to open passport service centres at all 800 district head post offices across the country by 2019.
- The decision has been taken to increase the people’s access to the facility, especially in remote areas.
- The step has been initiated through a joint effort by the ministry of external affairs and the department of posts to deliver passport-related services to the people.
Ministry of Food Processing signs MoU with Germany
Ministry of Food Processing Industries has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ANUGA, world’s largest promotional and investment trade fair organised in Germany.
- The aim of signing this MoU is to create a business platform for Indian Food Processors and exporters and also to put Indian food and cuisine at Global platform.
- It will double the income of farmers and connect India to world markets.
Railways to upgrade 40,000 coaches under Mission Retro-fitment
The Railways has announced it will upgrade 40,000 coaches under its Mission Retro-fitment in the next five years to enhance the passengers’ travel experience, with better amenities and safety.
- It is one of the largest Retro-fitment projects in the world, as 40,000 coaches of the Indian Railways will be refurbished and retrofitted in the next five years.
In a first, Odisha develops bank mapping portal for financial inclusion
In the first initiative of its kind in the country, Odisha Space Applications Centre (ORSAC), the apex body for space technology applications in the state, has developed an exclusive portal to map the banking system in the state.
- ORSAC has developed the portal for the Reserve Bank of India and it is aimed at taking forward financial inclusion goals.
- The new portal will provide information on unbanked gram panchayats and will be helpful in opening brick and mortar branches in these areas.
With 2.5 lakh Child labourers, Uttar Pradesh ranks first
According to CRY report, Over 8 lakh children in India between the age group 5 and 6 years are engaged in child labour. A large percentage, over 5 lakh of these children do not attend school.
- Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of 2,50,672 children engaged in labour, followed by Bihar with 1,28,087 children and Maharashtra where the number stands at 82,847.
- Child Rights and You (CRY) is an NGO working towards the upliftment of underprivileged children.
Nalanda model of water conservation chosen for national award
A model of water conservation ‘Project Jal Sanchay’ adopted successfully by the authorities in Nalanda district of south central Bihar, has been selected for the national award for excellence in the Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee programme (MGNREGP), by the ministry of rural development.
- The ‘Project Jal Sanchay’ was launched under MGRNREGP, to offer farmers a wide spectrum of solutions to their water crisis .
Kajal Singh appointed as Executive V-P of GSTN
Senior bureaucrat Kajal Singh has been appointed as Executive Vice-President (Services) in Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN).
- The GSTN is a special purpose vehicle set up to provide Information Technology infrastructure for implementation of the GST.
G7 Bologna Environment Ministers’ Meeting Concluded
The G7 Environment Ministers and high representatives, and European Commissioners responsible for environment and climate, met in Bologna, Italy on 11-12 June 2017. There were joined by heads and senior officials of International Organizations and by representatives of universities and firms.
International Albinism Awareness Day: 13 June
The International Albinism Awareness Day is observed annually on 13 June 2017 with an aim to end multiple forms of discrimination that is faced by people who suffers from albinism.
- Albinism is a rare, non-contagious, genetically inherited difference present at birth and it is still profoundly misunderstood, socially and medically.