Daily Current Affairs 14 February 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
IIT-M Research Park, Saint-Gobain India sign MoU on renewable energy
Saint-Gobain India and the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras, Research Park have signed a memorandum of understanding to develop a 100 per cent renewable energy, research park.
- As per the MoU, Saint-Gobain would support IIT-M Research Park with a funding of Rs 1 crore over the next three years.
First ISRO Launch In 2022: PSLV-C52 Successfully Launches Earth Observation And 2 Small Satellites
Marking the first launch mission of the year 2022, Indian Space Research Organisation’s earth observation satellite EOS-04 and two small satellites were successfully placed into the intended orbit by the PSLV-C52 rocket from the first launch pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, a feat described by the ISRO as a “marvellous accomplishment”.
- After first injecting EOS-04, the two small satellites INSPIREsat-1 and INS-2TD were also put into their orbits respectively.
Indian Army conducts first-of-its-kind ‘‘Hackathon’ on emerging technologies
Indian Army conducted a first-of-its-kind ‘Hackathon’, giving yet another shot in the arm for proficiency and expertise in the use of emerging technologies, and to delineate the technological side of the armed force.
- The hackathon was conducted in the Military College of Telecommunication Engineering (MCTE), Mhow under the overall guidance of the Shimla-based Army Training Command (ARTRAC), one of the seven commands of the Indian Army.
- The event was conducted from 01 October 2021 to 31 December 2021 under the name of “Sainya Ranakshetram”, in collaboration with the Rashtriya Raksha University.
Israel becomes first country allowing drones in civilian airspace
Israel’s Ministry of Transport and Road Safety has announced the country’s first certification for unmanned aircraft vehicles (UAVs) to operate in civilian airspace.
- The approval will allow Elbit’s drone to fly in civilian airspace like any other civilian airliner, rather than being restricted to unsegregated airspace.
BANKING & FINANCE
Bank of Baroda to acquire Union Bank’s stake in IndiaFirst Life Insurance
Bank of Baroda will acquire Union Bank of India’s 21% stake in IndiaFirst Life Insurance Company, a joint venture between Bank of Baroda, Union Bank of India and Carmel Point Investments.
- The government backed lender said that pursuant to a ‘Right of First Offer’ (ROFO) made by Union Bank of India (UBI) to the existing shareholders of IndiaFirst Life Insurance Company to divest 21% of its stake in the life insurance company and on completion of related processes.
- On conclusion of this stake sale process, the revised shareholding in IndiaFirst Life Insurance Company will be Bank of Baroda-65%, Carmel Point Investments India-26% and Union Bank of India- 9%.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India and Australia sign MoU on Tourism cooperation
India and Australia have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Tourism cooperation in the field of Tourism. The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the field of tourism will enhance cooperation and encourage Expansion of bilateral relations in tourism.
- Australia is one of the most important tourism generating markets for India (ranked 4th in terms of Foreign Tourist Arrivals to the country in 2019 and contributing 3.4% in total tourism share of foreign tourists in the country).
Debashis Mitra takes over as ICAI President; Aniket Sunil Talati becomes VP
Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) said Debashis Mitra has been elected as its President for the 2022-23 term.
- Aniket Sunil Talati has been elected as Vice President of the institute, which has more than 3.40 lakh members and over 7 lakh students.
Burkina Faso: Lt Col Damiba declared president by the Constitutional Council
Lieutenant-Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba, who took power in a coup in Burkina Faso on January 24, has been declared “president” by the Constitutional Council.
Chairman of Supreme Court-formed Char Dham panel resigns
Ravi Chopra, the chairman of a panel set up by the Supreme court to oversee widening of roads under the Char Dham Pariyojana has written to the top court saying he wanted to resign as the road ministry was ignoring the committee’s recommendations.
- Accoding to Chopra’s letter, MoRTH had accepted a double lane paved shoulder (DLPS) configuration for roads that come under the project’s ambit, despite the HPC’s recommendations against it.
RailTel gets ICAI award for excellence in financial reporting
RailTel has bagged the ICAI award for excellence in financial reporting for the year 2020-21 in Public Sector Entities Category. The company was adjudged as winner in the category “plaque”.
- The award was given by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), the premier accounting body which has been holding the annual competition for these awards since 1958.
FICCI CASCADE celebrated ‘Anti-Smuggling Day’ on 11 February
FICCI’s Committee Against Smuggling and Counterfeiting Activities Destroying the Economy (CASCADE) has taken a lead to mark the launch of Anti-Smuggling Day on 11th February beginning 2022. ‘Anti-Smuggling Day’ will represent a major step in the fight against the global menace of smuggling. With no country immune to the impact of smuggling and no single sector can be said to be an exception, this day will highlight the mounting hazard of smuggling. It will not only call for attention for creating awareness on this issue, but will also evaluate what more needs to be done at a national and international level in mitigating this challenge.