Daily Current Affairs 14 February 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Anti-copying law comes into force in Uttarakhand
The country’s strictest Anti-Copying Law has come into force in Uttarakhand. Governor Lieutenant General Gurmeet Singh has approved the Uttarakhand Competitive Examination (Measures for Prevention and Prevention of Unfair Means in Recruitment) Ordinance 2023.
- Under this Anti-Copying Law, a provision to impose a fine of 10 crores rupees along with life imprisonment or 10 years in jail for the copycat mafia. Apart from this, there is also a provision to attach the property of the copying mafia.
Centre forms committee for making coastal shipping guidelines
Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways announced a high-level committee to draft revised guidelines for operationalization of Ro-Ro and Ro-Pax ferry service.
- The committee will also draft model concession agreement for Ro-Ro / Ro-Pax terminal operator and model license agreement for operation of Ro-Ro/ Ro-Pax/ Fast Passenger Ferry.
GA Infra to construct India’s first National Metro Rail Knowledge Centre in Delhi
GA Infra Pvt Ltd, a leading infrastructure company in India, has been awarded the contract for designing and constructing the country’s first National Metro Rail Knowledge Centre.
- The centre will be located at the Vishwavidyalaya Metro Station in Delhi and built on a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model.
- The National Metro Rail Knowledge Centre will serve as a hub for knowledge and innovation in the metro rail system, providing a platform for stakeholders to exchange ideas and collaborate.
Cyclone Gabrielle: New Zealand declares state of emergency
Cyclone Gabrielle swept away roads, inundated homes, and left 225,000 people without power in New Zealand, as a national state of emergency was declared.
- High winds and driving rain lashed the country’s populous North Island, in what Prime Minister Chris Hipkins called the “most significant weather event New Zealand has seen in this century”.
BANKING & FINANCE
Paytm launches G20-theme QR Code to celebrates India’s presidency
One97 Communications Limited that owns leading payments and financial services company Paytm, launched a special G20-theme, QR Code to celebrate India’s presidency of the inter-governmental forum and the country’s leadership in mobile payments.
- The QR code was launched by Ashwini Vaishnaw, Union Minister for Railways and IT, during the ‘Digital Payments Utsav’ at the India Habitat Centre.
- The special commemorative QR Code features logos of MeitY’s ‘DigiDhan Mission’, along with those of the G20 2023 and 75th year of India’s independence.
Khelo India Youth Games 2023: Maharashtra emerge as winners
The fifth edition of the premier competition under the Khelo India initiative of the Indian government ended on February 11, 2023. This year, Madhyapradesh is hosting Khelo India Youth Games 2023 Event. There will be a total of 27 multidisciplinary amateur sports at the Khelo India event.
- Maharashtra took home the most medals at the Khelo India Youth Games 2023, with 56 gold, 55 silver, and 50 bronze. The defending champions Haryana came in second with 41 gold medals, 32 silver medals, and 55 bronze medals.
- At the Khelo India Youth Games 2023, more than 5,000 athletes from the 36 states and Union Territories of India will compete for 1,936 medals—573 gold, 580 silver, and 783 bronze—in 27 sports at a total of 11 venues dispersed across eight cities in Madhya Pradesh and New Delhi.
Shubman Gill and Grace Scrivens named ICC Player of the month for January 2023
The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced the winners of the ICC Player of the Month awards for January 2023, with England’s Grace Scrivens claiming the ICC Women’s Player of the Month and India’s Shubman Gill being crowned the ICC Men’s Player of the Month.
- Scrivens bagged the award after her all-round brilliance in the inaugural ICC U-19 Women’s T20 World Cup. Equally, the England captain excelled in her leadership role, guiding her side to the final, only to lose to eventual title winners India.
- India’s Shubman Gill wins his first ICC Men’s Player of the Month award following another fine series of performances in ODI cricket. With 567 runs during January, which included three century-plus scores, the 23-year-old batter wowed fans with a lethal combination of graceful and attacking stroke play.
Angela Merkel receives UNESCO Peace Prize in Ivory Coast
Germany’s former chancellor Angela Merkel received a prestigious UN award for opening her country to refugees during her time in office.
- Merkel was hailed for welcoming more than 1.2 million refugees and asylum seekers to Germany in 2015 and 2016 as she was awarded the Felix Houphouet-Boigny UNESCO Peace Prize in Ivory Coast’s capital Yamoussoukro.
Renowned social worker Appasaheb Dharmadhikari awarded ‘Maharashtra Bhushan’ 2023
The state government of Maharashtra has announced that renowned social worker, preacher and reformer Dattatreya alias Appasaheb Dharmadikari will be honoured with Maharashtra Bhushan award for the year 2022.
- The Maharashtra Bhushan award comprises a medal, a citation and Rs 25 lakh, which will be conferred to Appasaheb at a function later in the year. Appasaheb was honoured with Padmashri in 2017.
- Nanasaheb, also known as the ambassador of cleanliness, trust has been undertaking various programmes, including environment-friendly initiatives like production of fertilisers through remains of Ganesh idols after visarjan.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Govt to set up Bima Sugam portal to address existing protection gap across general insurance business
The government has said that it proposes to set up a Bima Sugam portal to address the existing protection gap across life, health and general insurance businesses in the country.
- Replying to a question in the Lok Sabha, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has informed that the portal will be an insurance market infrastructure, where insurers, distribution networks and the policy holders would virtually meet across a seamless digital platform.
- She said the portal is expected to improve accessibility and ease of insurance purchase to policyholders. This will also serve as a readymade digital platform for insurers and distribution networks.