Daily Current Affairs 14 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India misses Kala Azar elimination deadline
India has missed the 2017 deadline that Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had announced for elimination of Kala Azar (black fever) in his Budget speech last year. In fact, endemic blocks have increased from 61 to 68 in 17 districts of Bihar and Jharkhand.
- Elimination is defined as reducing the annual incidence of Kala Azar (KA) to less than 1 case per 10,000 people at the sub-district level.
- KA is a slow progressing indigenous disease caused by a single-celled parasite of the Leishmania family.
Ministry of Petroleum launches Saksham 2018 Campaign
The Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas has launched month long Saksham 2018 (Sanrakshan Kshamta Mahotsav).
- Saksham is annual flagship event of PCRA with active involvement of Oil & Gas PSUs along with other stakeholders like State Governments.
- During this years month long Saksham-2018, various interactive programs and activities are planned with the campaign on fuel conservation, getting a kick-start in a mega inaugural function to be held at Siri Fort Auditorium in Delhi on 16th January, 2018.
Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu arrives for ‘historic’ visit to India
Keen to strengthen bilateral relations “even more”, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu arrived on a six-day visit along with the largest business delegation that has ever accompanied an Israeli premier on an overseas tour.
- The visit marks 25 years since the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries and takes place about six months after Modi’s trip to Israel, the first by an Indian prime minister to the Jewish state.
Delhi’s Teen Murti Chowk renamed after Israeli city Haifa
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu attended a ceremony at the Teen Murti Memorial in Delhi to mark the renaming of Teen Murti Chowk as Teen Murti Haifa Chowk. The two leaders also laid a wreath and signed the visitor’s book at the memorial.
BSE’s India International Exchange lists IRFC’s first green bond
The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)’s India International Exchange listed the first bond on its Global Securities Market.
- The bonds issued by Indian Railways Finance Corporation (IRFC) are one of the highest credit rated bonds issued by an Indian corporate and has been IRFC’s first foray into the Green Bond market.
NCDEX starts first agri-options trading in guar seed
The National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange Ltd (NCDEX) unveiled India’s first agri-commodity options in guar seed designed as a hedge for farmers to safeguard against price risks.
- Launching this, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said that this is one of the biggest developments for our agriculture market and farmers will have the option to trade with this financial instrument.
WEF ranks India 30th on global manufacturing index
The World Economic Forum (WEF) has ranked India at 30th position on a global manufacturing index. In its first “Readiness for the future of production” report, Japan has been found to have the best structure of production and is followed by South Korea, Germany, Switzerland, China, Czech Republic, the US, Sweden, Austria and Ireland.
Kagiso Rabada becomes world’s highest ranked Test bowler
South African fast bowler Kagiso Rabada has become the number-one ranked bowler in the MRF Tyres ICC Test Player Rankings, after he helped his team to a 72 run victory over India in the first Test at Newlands.