Daily Current Affairs 14 January 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
BANKING & FINANCE
Reliance Jio Users Can Now Set Up Auto-Debit For Prepaid Recharges Using UPI
Jio users can now set standing instructions for auto-debit for their tariff plans through UPI after a tie-up between the telecom player and NPCI. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Jio in a joint announcement said UPI AUTOPAY has now been introduced for the telecom industry with Jio.
- This will enable Jio customers to set standing instructions on the MyJio App, using UPI AUTOPAY for their favourite tariff plans and hassle-free recharging experience.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
UN forecasts India’s GDP to grow 6.5% in FY22
Indian economy expected to grow 6.5% in the current financial year ending Maech 2022, (FY22), down from the earlier forecast of 8.4% amid rapid vaccination progress, the United Nations said.
- The flagship United Nations World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) 2022 report, launched, said that “India’s economic recovery is on a solid path, amid rapid vaccination progress, less stringent social restrictions and still supportive fiscal and monetary stances.”
- UN has projected the growth rate for fiscal 2023 (FY 2022-2023) at 5.9 per cent.
Pakistan to Grow at 3.4 Per Cent in Current Fiscal, Says World Bank
Pakistan’s economy is expected to grow by 3.4 per cent in the current fiscal year and it will grow at 4 per cent in 2022-23, benefiting from structural reforms and increasing export competitiveness, the World Bank has forecast.
- Cash-strapped Pakistan recorded growth last year, surprising experts. Improved domestic demand, record-high remittance inflows, a narrow targeting of COVID-19 lockdowns, and accommodative monetary policy were responsible for it, the World Bank said in its Global Economic Prospects report, 2022.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Flipkart Acquires Yaantra To Boost Smartphone After-sale Offerings
Flipkart Group y announced the acquisition of Yaantra, an electronics re-commerce company, for an undisclosed amount as part of efforts to strengthen its re-commerce business and enhance after-sale offerings for its customers in the smartphones segment.
- The acquisition has been effected through FK Group Entity, F1 Info Solutions and Services Pvt Ltd that is engaged in the business of offering comprehensive lifecycle management (repairs and refurbishment) for various categories including mobility, consumer electronics, IT and IT peripherals, AV and enterprise solutions, in the B2B (business-to-business) segment.
Tasnim Mir, 16-year-old Shuttler Becomes First Indian to Claim World No 1 Status in U-19 Girls Singles
Young shuttler Tasnim Mir became the first Indian to grab the world no 1 ranking in the under-19 girls singles in the latest BWF junior rankings.
- The 16-year-old from Gujarat was rewarded for last year’s stellar run when she had secured titles in three junior international tournaments to jump three places to grab the top position in the junior world rankings.
Khelo India Youth Games Haryana 2021 Postponed Due to Covid-19 Surge
The Khelo India Youth Games Haryana 2021, scheduled to be held between February 5 and 14 this year, stands postponed owing to the current Covid-19 pandemic situation in the country.
- Fresh dates of the Youth Games will be announced after reviewing the Covid situation.
Indian Grandmaster M R Lalith Babu Wins Vergani Cup
Indian Grandmaster M R Lalith Babu won the Vergani Cup chess tournament on the basis of better tie-break score after he was tied with three others, including top-seed Anton Korobov.
- The 29-year old Lalith Babu finished with seven points. He started with a win over Timo Pakkonen (Finland) in the opening round and remained unbeaten through the nine rounds. He posted five wins to go with four draws.
Rakesh Anand Appointed Chef de Mission for CWG, Bhupender Singh Bajwa for Asian Games
The IOA also announced the appointment of president of Wushu Association of India Bhupender Singh Bajwa as India’s Chef de Mission for the Asian Games, scheduled to be held in Hangzhou, China from September 10-25.
- IOA president Narinder Dhruv Batra also announced general team managers for the Commonwealth Games and deputy Chefs de Mission for the Asian Games.
- The team managers appointed are Rajesh Bhandari, secretary general of Himachal Pradesh Olympic Association and vice-president of Boxing Federation of India; Chiranjib Choudhary, secretary general of the Meghalaya Olympic Association and vice-president of the Table Tennis Federation of India and Prasant Kushwaha, secretary general of the Kayaking and Canoeing Association of India.
Haryana team wins 11 awards in India Skill – 2021 National Competition
In India Skill – 2021 National Competition, the Haryana team has won 11 awards. The state won three Gold, four Silver, one Bronze medals as well as 3 medals for excellence.
- Haryana will also represent the country in the upcoming World Skill Competition 2022 to be held in China. Chief Minister Manohar Lal Congratulated and said the performance of winners proves the efforts made by the state government towards skill development.
NIRAMAI, InnAccel receive World Bank and Consumer Technology Association’s Global Women’s Health Tech Awards
Two start-ups supported by Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council have received the World Bank Group and the Consumer Technology Association’s Global Women’s Health Tech Awards.
- The start ups are NIRAMAI Health AnalytixPvt. Ltd. and InnAccel Technologies Pvt. Ltd. These awards recognise innovative startups that leverage technology to improve women’s health and safety in emerging markets.
- NIRAMAI Health AnalytixPvt. Ltd was selected for its novel software-based medical device that detects early-stage breast cancer in a simple and private way on women of all age groups and breast densities.
- InnAccel Technologies Pvt Ltd. was adjudged a winner for Fetal Lite. It is a next-generation, AI-powered fetal heart rate monitor based on fetal ECG signal extraction technology for mothers in labour or post 37 weeks of gestation.
Kurukshetra University’s Prof Emeritus Tanwar Made ICHR Chairman
Dr Raghuvendra Tanwar, a professor emeritus and former registrar of the Kurukshetra University, has been appointed as chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR), New Delhi.
- Tanwar served the KU history department for 42 years and held very important positions including the chairperson, dean of the faculty, dean of students.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
South Africa Launches First Satellite Constellation Developed Entirely In Africa
South Africa has launched its first satellite constellation developed entirely in the continent of Africa, a move hailed by the country’s Science and Innovation Minister Blade Nzimande as a milestone.
- Three locally produced nanosatellites, which made up the country’s first Maritime Domain Awareness Satellite (MDASat) constellation, were launched from Cape Canaveral in the United States as part of American aerospace company SpaceX’s Transporter-3 mission.
- Transporter-3, SpaceX’s third dedicated rideshare mission, carried a total of 105 spacecraft for various organisations and governments, including CubeSats, microsats, PocketQubes and orbital transfer vehicles.
UK Launches New Scanner App For Healthier Food Choices
Britain’s health service launched a NHS Food Scanner App that offers healthier alternatives as part of the government’s multimedia anti-obesity Better Health Campaign.
- This feature available on the free to download app, allows families to scan product barcodes that suggest healthier alternatives to help them make an easy swap during their next shopping trip.
- The application uses a “Good Choice” badge to help signpost people to healthier food and drinks in line with the government’s dietary recommendations for added sugar, saturated fat and salt.