Daily Current Affairs 14 July 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Humanoid robot Sophia visits India, falls in love with the ‘colourful and diverse’ country
Humanoid Robot Sophia, who was in India, says the country is colourful, diverse and beautiful. Developed by Hong Kong based company Hanson Robotics, Sophia is modeled after actress Audrey Hepburn, and is known for her human-like appearance and behavior compared to other robotic variants. Sophia uses artificial intelligence, visual data processing and facial recognition.
Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurates exhibition on 48 months of Transforming India
Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated a multimedia exhibition of the various schemes launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi organised by Regional Outreach Bureau of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting(MIB) at Saradhabali near Bholanath Vidyapith in Puri, Odisha.
Ministry of Mines Organized 4th National Conclave on Mines & Minerals
The Ministry of Mines organized the 4th National Conclave on Mines & Minerals at Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chauhan was the chief guest of the conclave.
- For the first time, the conclave had an exhibition in which States put up stalls to showcase their more than 100 mineral blocks which have been prepared to be put up on auctions during 2018-19.
Haryana launches ‘I am not afraid of English’ campaign in schools
The Haryana Education Department has launched ‘I am not afraid of English’ initiative to promote English language right from Class 1 in the state’s primary schools.
- The initiative is aimed at capacity building of teachers to enable them to help the students to learn, read, write and speak English.
Assam CM lays stone for state’s first cultural university at Majuli
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal laid foundation stone for the state’s first cultural university at Majuli to be built at an estimated cost of Rs 300 crore.
- “The Cultural University would be a great place for learning about the state’s vivid culture,” he said.
MP govt to appoint girls as district Brand Ambassador
In Madhya Pradesh, in a first of its kind initiative, the state govt will appoint girls as a district Brand Ambassador who have recorded significant achievements in any field under the Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao scheme.
Odisha constitutes ‘Heritage Cabinet’ to preserve culture
The Odisha government has constituted a ‘Heritage Cabinet’ to preserve the Odia language and the state’s culture. The cabinet comprises eight members and will be headed by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
- The cabinet will maintain coordination among the institutions and departments working to preserve and spread Odia language, culture and literature.
Bihar to get world’s cheapest clean drinking water
With the launch of cost-effective innovative water project, Bihar will soon provide the cheapest drinking water in the world. The first of such a water project was launched in Bihar’s Darbhanga district, by Sulabh International, an organisation that introduced the concept of ‘Sulabh Sauchalya’ in the country.
- With the help of this project, the people will easily be able to get pure and clean water only in 50paisa/litre.
- The ‘Sulabh Jal’ project converts contaminated pond and river water into safe drinking water.
India unveils world’s largest visa centre in Bangladesh
Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the world’s largest state-of-the-art visa centre in Dhaka, Bangladesh with modern facilities, promising shorter waiting times for applicants.
- Singh inaugurated the integrated centre at Jamuna Future Park (JFP) along with his Bangladeshi counterpart Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal.
Global sugar output may hit record 187.6 mt this year: FAO
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), world sugar production is likely to hit a record 187.6 million tonnes (mt) this year on account of increase in output in India, the EU, Thailand and China.
Google’s Phone app to filter spam calls without any notification
Google has rolled out “caller ID and spam protection” on its Phone app with which the app itself would be able to filter out calls that it detects to be spams, eliminating all notifications and alerts for those calls as well.
- To use “caller ID and spam protection”, the user’s phone may need to send information about their calls to Google.
Haryana Governor gets additional charge of Himachal
Haryana Governor Kaptan Singh Solanki has been given the additional charge of Himachal Pradesh by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Solanki would discharge “the functions of the Governor of Himachal Pradesh, in addition to his own duties” during the absence of Himachal Governor Acharya Devvrat, who is on leave.
India’s ICZM Project wins World Bank’s internal award
India’s Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) project has won the World Bank’s internal award for exceptional performance in achieving many development goals.
- The ICZM project is among the eight projects awarded, selected out of 42 final nominations received from the World Bank Task Teams in the South Asian Countries.
Doyen of Indian Psychiatry N N Wig dies at 88
Prof N N Wig, the doyen of Psychiatry in India who led many pioneering studies related to mental health at national and international levels and headed departments in various prestigious institutions like AIIMS, Delhi and PGIMER, has passed away at the age of 88 after a brief illness.