Daily Current Affairs 14 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Country’s ‘tallest’ flag unfurled in Belagavi
The 9,600 sq.ft flag on a 110 m flag pole has been unfurled in Belagavi, Karnataka. Schoolchildren, NGO members, leaders and others gathered at the Kote Kere lake front to witness a unique celebration: the unfurling of what is claimed to be the country’s tallest national flag.
Modi, Macron inaugurate UP’s biggest solar power plant
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and French President Shri Emmanuel Macron inaugurated Uttar Pradesh’s biggest solar power plant of 75 MW (101DC) capacity in Mirzapur. Built at a cost of around Rs.528 crores, the 75 MW solar plant at Vijaypur village in Mirzapur, will generate 13 crore units of electricity per annum.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurates Asia-Pacific Regional Conference of IACP
Home Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated the two-day Asia-Pacific Regional Conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) in New Delhi.
- The theme of the conference is “Challenges to Policing in 2020 – How is Cyber Space shaping our approach to Cybercrime and Terrorism, how do we perform within it and take advantage of it”.
“Innovation Cell” to be set up in HRD Ministry to boost Innovation
An Innovation Cell in the Ministry of Human Resource Development will be created to further strengthen the innovation efforts. It will be headed by a Scientist and comprise of a senior Ministry official and young professionals who bring to the table new ideas in promoting innovation.
Ministry of Power awarded for successful implementation of e-Office
Ministry of Power has been awarded with the Certificate of Appreciation for the commendable work done towards successful implementation of e-Office in the Ministry.
- As part of Government of India’s National e-Governance Programme, the Government of India launched the e-Office System for bringing in effective Governance and quality in public service delivery in Ministries/Departments. e-Office System aims at significantly improving the operational efficiency of the Government.
I- Metros’ -An Association Of All Indian Metro Rail Companies Launched By Cabinet Secretary
The Union Housing Ministry has launched ‘I-Metros’, an association of all-India metro rail companies, which will act as a forum of exchange of ideas and innovations.
Gurugram to get Centre for Design and Innovation
Noida-based IVS school of Design unveiled a plan for setting up of Centre for Design and Innovation (CDI). The campus will be set up in Gurugram and will offer courses for freshers, mid-as well as senior-level professionals in design thinking, innovation, strategy and management.
- First of its kind in India, the centre will aim to bring Indian design expertise, technology and industry requirements together to make products of the future.
- The objective is to make India a hub for design in the South-Asian market.
Haryana govt announces to set up committee to find solution to polluted water flowing in Yamuna river
The Haryana government announced setting up of a committee to find a solution to polluted water flowing in Yamuna river affecting the four districts of the state. The committee, led by State Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Om Parkash Dhankhar, will discuss the issue with the Delhi government and the Centre.
Himachal CM launches handbook on women safety
To empower womenfolk, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur released a handbook titled ‘Mahila Suraksha’ on women safety.
- The booklet talks about measures required for personal safety and safeguards regarding crimes, including sexual harassment at workplace. It also contains important telephone and helpline numbers.
AP stands at 51st position in Poverty Index
Andhra Pradesh stands at 51st rank globally in Multidimensional Poverty Index according to a household survey conducted in the state.
- Andhra Pradesh becomes the first Indian state to conduct a household survey at state and district level to estimate the multidimensional poverty of the state.
- The study was conducted by Govt. of Andhra Pradesh in collaboration with University of Oxford, UK.
Pune tops in improved quality governance: Survey
According to a survey conducted by Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy, Pune has emerged as the top city to show improvement in quality of governance. The other cities that came in the top five include Kolkata, Thiruvananthapuram, Bhubaneswar and Surat while Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Patna and Chennai constituted the bottom five cities.
- Janaagraha released its 5th edition of its Annual Survey of India’s City-Systems (ASICS), which evaluated the quality of governance in 23 major cities across 20 states based on 89 questions.
India Announces USD 100 Ml LoC For Mauritius
India has announced a new Line of Credit of USD 100 million for defense procurement by Mauritius as the two sides signed many agreements on the second day of President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit. President Kovind also inaugurated the World Hindi Secretariat building in Mauritius.
Indian economy to grow at 7.3% in FY19: World Bank
The World Bank today projected India’s GDP growth at 7.3% for the next financial year and accelerate further to seven point five per cent in 2019-20.
NCRB launches Mobile App useful for Citizens on its 33rd Inception Day
The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) celebrated its 33rd Inception Day on 11th March, 2018 and released “Citizen Services” Mobile App.
- The Mobile App template is a bouquet of 9 police related services, has been launched for the citizens. These services will provide smooth interface between Citizens and Police.
Mobile based Application “ASHTRACK” to help Fly Ash Users & Power Plants launched
For the better management of fly ash waste from thermal power plants across country, Government has reduced the GST rates on fly ash and its products to 5%. Further, to facilitate 100% ash utilization by all coal based thermal power plants, a web portal for monitoring of fly ash generation and utilization data of Thermal Power Plants and a mobile based application titled “ASHTRACK” has been launched that will help to establish a link between fly ash users and power plants executives for obtaining fly ash for its use in various areas.
Google launches digital addressing system Plus Codes
Technology giant Google made ‘searching for Indian addresses’ on Google Maps a tad bit simpler, by announcing Plus Codes, a simple location-based digital addressing system. Besides, the company also added Voice Navigation in six additional Indian languages, to its system.
- This system is based on dividing the geographical surface of the Earth into tiny ’tiled areas’, attributing a unique code to each of them. This code simply comprises a ‘six-character + City’ format that can be generated, shared and searched by anyone; all that is needed is Google Maps on a smartphone.
Indian film ‘Halkaa’ bags award at Montreal fest
Indian filmmaker Nila Madhab Panda’s “Halkaa”, which had its world premiere at the 21st edition of Film Pour Enfants de Montreal Film (FIFEM), has bagged the Grand Prix de Montreal.
- “Halkaa” was selected among seven international children’s films from different countries in the official competition of the festival.
Jackie Shroff’s ‘Shunyata’ wins international award
Actor Jackie Shroff’s short film “Shunyata” has won an award at Best of India Short Film Festival in Los Angeles, US.
- The 22-minute fiction film directed by Chintan Sarda was selected to be in top six from amongst thousands of entries and was played at a theatre in Los Angeles.
Eminent British physicist Stephen Hawking passes away
Prominent British theoretical physicist Professor Stephen Hawking has passed away. The theoretical physicist is known for his groundbreaking work with black holes and relativity.
- In 1963, Professor Hawking contracted a motor neuron disease that gradually paralysed him over the decades. He was still able to communicate using a single cheek muscle attached to a speech-generating device.
Noted film and television actor Narendra Jha passes away
Noted film and television actor Narendra Jha has passed away following a heart attack. He was 55. The actor best is known for his performances in films such as “Raees”, “Kaabil” and “Haider”.