Daily Current Affairs 14 May 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi addresses ‘Utkarsh Samaroh’ in Bharuch
PM Modi addressed the “Utkarsh Samaroh” in Gujarat’s Bharuch via video conferencing to mark the 100 per cent saturation of four key state government schemes in the district which will help provide timely financial assistance to those in need.
- He said that the politics of appeasement comes to an end with 100 per cent coverage of government schemes.
- “Utkarsh Initiative”, carried out by the district administration from January 1 to March 31 this year, was aimed to ensure the complete coverage of schemes providing assistance to widows, elderly and destitute citizens.
NITI Ayog launches National Data and Analytics Platform to make available easily govt data to public
NITI Aayog launched the National Data and Analytics Platform. The platform aims to democratize access to public government data by making data accessible, interoperable, interactive and available on a user-friendly platform.
- The platform was launched by Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Suman Bery in the presence of Chief Executive Officer of NITI Aayog Amitabh Kant and other senior officials from NITI Aayog.
Army to establish coaching centre in Manipur for underprivileged students
Indian Army signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish Centre for Excellence and wellness for coaching and making underprivileged students of Manipur eligible for admission to the best colleges and universities in India.
- The MoU signing ceremony was held at Leimakhong to raise the Centre named the “Red Shield Centre for Excellence and Wellness” and it will be located in Bishnupur district of Manipur.
- This project was conceptualised as a yearlong fully residential coaching and mentoring facility for students from economically weaker and underprivileged sections of Manipur for competitive examinations like NEET and JEE.
NTPC initiates Girl Empowerment Mission for uplifting lives of underprivileged girls
National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) has initiated the Girl Empowerment Mission for uplifting the lives of underprivileged girls living in different regions of the country.
- NTPC is organizing a four-week-long Girl Empowerment Mission to provide every girl child essential education, health and self-defence awareness under the Corporate Social Responsibility initiative.
Shri Bhagwant Khuba attended Intersolar Europe 2022
Union Minister of State for Ministry of New and Renewable Energy Shri Bhagwant Khuba visited Munich, Germany to attend Intersolar Europe 2022 which was held from 11th May to 13th May 2022. The Minister delivered key note address at the investment promotion event “India’s Solar Energy Market” on 12th May 2022 in Munich. The event was being organized by the Indo-German Energy Forum (IGEF).
- Intersolar is the world’s leading exhibition series for the solar industry and its partners. It unites people and companies from around the world with the aim of increasing the share of solar power in our energy supply. With more than 30 years of experience, Intersolar has the unique ability to bring together members of the solar industry from across the world’s most influential markets.
ISRO successfully tests human-rated HS-200 solid rocket booster
In an important milestone, ISRO, India’s Space Research Organisation successfully conducted the static test of a human-rated solid rocket booster HS-200, a key component for the Gaganyaan manned mission programme. The test was conducted at Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, the spaceport of India. HS-200 booster loaded with 203 tonnes of solid propellant was tested for a duration of 135 seconds.
- HS-200 rocket booster is the human-rated version of the well proven S-200 rocket booster of GSLV Mark-II satellite launch vehicle, popularly known as LVM3.
BANKING & FINANCE
Union Minister announces Repco Subiksham, a new Repco Bank initiative
In Chennai, Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Ajay Kumar Mishra announced the New Repatriate Welfare Scheme, a Repco Bank deposit scheme, a Repco Micro Finance Ltd. (RFML) micro finance lending scheme, and an application.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Saudi Aramco becomes the world’s most valuable company, overtook Apple Inc.
Oil giant Saudi Aramco has become the world’s most valuable company due to the recent surge in oil prices and surpassed Apple Inc. Aramco’s market capitalization is about $2.43 trillion and The iPhone’s market capitalization fell 5.2% to close at $146.50 per share, giving it a valuation of $2.37 trillion.
Harshada Sharad Garud wins India’s first-ever gold medal in Junior Weightlifting World Championships
Weightlifter Harshada Sharad Garud created history by becoming the first-ever Indian to win a gold medal in the Junior World Weightlifting Championships in Heraklion, Greece.
- Competing in the women’s 45kg category, the 16-year-old lifted a total of 153kg (Clean & Jerk 83 kg + Snatch 70kg) to win the title in the field of eight competitors on the opening day of the competition.
India won 14 medals in Archery Asia Cup 2022 Stage 2
Indian archers wrapped up a highly successful Asia Cup 2022 Stage-2 campaign in Sulaymaniyah, Iraq with a total of 14 medals – eight golds, four silvers and two bronze. The Indian team of women archers Parneet Kaur, Aditi Swami, and Sakshi Chaudhary has won India’s first gold medal of the continental meet after defeating Kazakhstan in Iraq.
- The men’s team of Prathamesh Fuge, Rishabh Yadav, and Jawkar Samadhan has won the second gold for India. The compound mixed duo of Prathmesh Fuge & Parneet Kaur won the third Gold Medal at Asia Archery Cup.
Theoretical Physicist Dr. Frank Wilczek Receives 2022 Templeton Prize
Theoretical physicist Dr. Frank Wilczek received the Templeton Prize in 2022, adding to the accolades for the author and thinker who won a Nobel Prize for his explorations into the laws of nature.
- The Templeton Prize is given to honor one person each year who advances deep questions about religion, humanity and the universe. The award typically goes to an academic or thinker who uses the power of the sciences to address these questions. Valued at more than $1.3 million, the prize was started by the late global investor and philanthropist Sir John Marks Templeton and is one of the largest given to an individual each year.
Deepika Padukone becomes first Indian house ambassador of Louis Vuitton
Deepika Padukone has added one more feather to her hat of achievements as the French luxury brand Louis Vuitton announced the Bollywood actress as its new House Ambassador. Following a strong collaborative relationship with the Maison, including an appearance in Nicolas Ghesquiere’s novel-inspired Pre-Fall 2020 campaign, the award-winning actress begins an exciting new chapter of her journey with Louis Vuitton as the first Indian to be signed with the brand as the House Ambassador.
- Emma Stone, an Oscar winner and longtime House Ambassador, and Zhou Dongyu, a fellow Ambassador and pillar of contemporary Chinese cinema, star alongside Deepika Padukone in the campaign.
Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed, president of UAE since 2004, passes away
Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, ruler of Abu Dhabi and president of the United Arab Emirates since 2004, has passed away aged 73. He had been ill for years though the cause of death was not immediately released.