Daily Current Affairs 14 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Railways to start 9-month ‘upskilling’ exercise for employees in January
The Indian Railways will launch the country’s largest time-bound “upskilling” exercise for government employees to upgrade the skillsets of its 13 lakh-strong workforce with a single drive spanning nine months.
- Named Project Saksham, the exercise will start in January 2018 and go on till September, putting through training courses and specially designed skill-upgrade modules. Employees from the rank of a peon to the Railway Board Members and everyone in between will undergo the training.
Power minister launches national portal for power sector
Power Ministry launched a National Power Portal (NPP), a centralised platform for collation and dissemination of Indian power sector information. The portal may be accessed at http://npp.gov.in.
- The NPP is a centralised system for the power sector which facilitates online data capture/input (daily, monthly, annually) from generation, transmission and distribution utilities.
India’s 1st Tribal Entrepreneurship Summit organised at Dantewada
India’s first Tribal Entrepreneurship Summit has been organised at Dantewada in the Bastar region of Chhattisgarh. The event is being organized by NITI Aayog in partnership with Government of United States of America. The event is a part of 8th Global Entrepreneurship Summit being held in India.
- The Tribal Entrepreneurship Summit in Dantewada has been organised with the motive to inspire, nurture and promote the spirit of entrepreneurship in tribal youth.
Indians second-highest public bingers in the world: Study
Binge watching in public is the new trend in India, and Indians are the second-highest public bingers in the world, just behind Mexico, according to a survey.
- The survey, released by online streaming platform Netflix, shows how the majority of Indians are binge watching in public — with 71 per cent more people doing so this year than the last
* Binge Watching means the practice of watching multiple episodes of a television programme in rapid succession, typically by means of DVDs or digital streaming.
United Nations hosts first talks on use of killer robots in Geneva
United Nations is set to open its first official talks on the use of autonomous weapons, including killer robots, at the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW) for 5 days, in Geneva.
- The meeting is chaired by Indian ambassador on disarmament, Amandeep Gill. The discussion will also include civil society and technology companies.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI will not pursue proposal to introduce Islamic banking in India
In a major move, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided not to pursue a proposal for introduction of Islamic banking in the country.
- Islamic or Sharia banking is a finance system based on the principles of not charging interest, which is prohibited under Islam. The issue of introduction of Islamic banking in India was examined by the RBI and the government of India, RBI said.
UP tops in mobilising Jan Dhan a/cs
Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), which was launched in 2014 to further the financial-inclusion process in the country, seems to have gathered momentum in some northern States post demonetisation.
- With its area and size of population, Uttar Pradesh tops in opening new PMJDY accounts after demonetisation. In fact, one-fifth of the more than five crore new PMJDY accounts in the Indian banking system came from Uttar Pradesh alone.
- Bihar, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal cumulatively added another 2.2 crore new accounts in the last one year.
India’s wholesale price inflation rises to 3.59 per cent
According to data from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, the Wholesale Price Index (WPI), with the revised base year of 2011-12, went up in October to 3.59 per cent from 2.60 per cent in September.
Government of India launchs the BHARAT-22 Exchange Traded Fund (ETF)
The Government of India launched the BHARAT-22 Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) managed by ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund targeting an initial amount of about Rs.8,000 crore. This New Fund Offer is open till November 17, 2017. The Units of the Scheme will be allotted 25% to each category of investors.
BSE appoints S Ravi as its new chairman
Eminent chartered accountant Sethurathnam Ravi has been appointed as the chairman of the leading stock exchange BSE. Ravi, who was a public interest director at the BSE, replaces Dhirendra Swarup.
World Diabetes Day: 14 November
World Diabetes Day is the primary global awareness campaign focusing on diabetes mellitus and is held on November 14 each year. Led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), each World Diabetes Day focuses on a theme related to diabetes.
- World Diabetes Day was launched in 1991 by the IDF and the World Health Organization (WHO) in response to the rapid rise of diabetes around the world.
- The theme of World Diabetes Day 2017 is “Women and diabetes – our right to a healthy future”.