Daily Current Affairs 14 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev celebrated across country
The 550th birth anniversary of the first Sikh guru and founder of Sikhism Guru Nanak Dev was celebrated across the country as Prakash Parv on 12th November.
- Guru Nanak Dev was born on the full moon day of Kartik month or Kartik Poornima in 1469. Devotees organise langar at various places on this occasion.
Andhra govt appoints special officer for English-medium education in schools
The Andhra Pradesh government has appointed IAS officer Vetri Selvi as the special officer for the project of introducing English as a medium of instruction in grades 1 to 12 from the academic year 2020-2021.
- During a cabinet meeting, a decision was unanimously approved of converting all govt schools into English medium institutions. As of now, 34 per cent of government-run schools are running as English medium institutions in the state.
Assam Govt launches ‘Sishu Suraksha App’ in Guwahati
The Assam State Commission for Protection of Child Rights launched a mobile app Sishu Suraksha tomorrow on the occasion of Children’s Day.
- The purpose of the app is to empower citizens to take moral responsibility of protecting future generations. The app can be used by anyone in the state to lodge a complaint which will be directly registered at Commission.
UP govt launches e-Ganna app, web portal
Uttar Pradesh government has launched a dedicated web portal and a mobile application, e-Ganna App, for sugarcane farmers of the state. Cane supply slip will now be issued to the farmers by sugar mills online.
- The portal and the App will ensure transparency in the process of getting slips, and facilitate sugarcane supply by farmers to mills and check irregularities.
Uttarakhand cabinet approves formation of integrated safety scheme to deal with natural calamities
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat during a cabinet meeting approved the formation of an integrated safety scheme under the high-intensity earthquake minimization program to deal with natural calamities in the state.
- Under the scheme formulated with a view on earthquakes in the state, a budget of Rs 500 crore will be approved for a period of five years to deal with natural calamities in Uttarakhand.
India International Trade Fair begins in New Delhi
14-day India International Trade Fair began in New Delhi. The theme for the 39th edition of the fair (November 14-27, 2019) is ‘Ease of Doing Business’ inspired by India’s unique achievement of rising to 63rd rank on the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Index from 142nd rank in year 2014.
- This year the status of ‘Partner Country’ has been accorded to ‘The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan’ and ‘The Republic of Korea’ will be the ‘Focus Country’.
- Bihar and Jharkhand will be the focus states in this edition of the fair.
27th Conference of COCSSO inaugurated at Kolkata, West Bengal
National Statistical Commission inaugurated the 27th Conference of Central and State Statistical Organizations (COCSSO) at Kolkata, West Bengal. 27th COCSSO is a Conference organized by MoSPI, Government of India every year.
- The theme of this conference was “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” which highlights the actions taken by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) for a strong observing mechanism for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
India-ASEAN Business Summit 2019 held in New Delhi
The Union Minister of State (I/C) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), addressed the India-ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Business Summit 2019 in New Delhi. The India- ASEAN Business Summit on the theme: “Today, Tomorrow, Together” is being organised to strengthen trade & investment flows with ASEAN Economies.
Air Chief inaugurates ISAM Conference in Bengaluru
Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria inaugurated the 58th Indian Society of Aerospace Medicine (ISAM) Annual Conference in Bengaluru, Karnataka which aims to address contemporary issues and applications in the subject of aerospace medicine.
- The theme for this year’s conference is ‘Changing Paradigms in Aerospace Healthcare’.
50th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) Theme song unveiled
The Information and Broadcasting ministry launched the official anthem and radio jingle for the golden jubilee edition of International Film Festival of India (IFFI), scheduled to take place in Goa from November 20 to 28.
- The anthem, inspired by the nine ‘rasas’ (emotions) of the Natya Shashtra and an amalgamation of scenes from prominent movies and dance ‘mudras’, has been developed by noted dancer Geeta Chandran and Grammy Award-winning composer Ricky Cage.
NASA renames Ultima thule to Arrokoth after Nazi controversy
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has renamed a distant space rock Ultima Thule, to Arrokoth. It is the farthest cosmic body ever visited by a spacecraft, Arrokoth or “sky” is a name of the Native American Powhatan language following a significant backlash over the old name’s Nazi connotations.
India’s Dhanush Srikanth bags 3 golds at Asian Shooting Championships
Indian shooter Dhanush Srikanth bagged three gold medals in the men’s 10m air pistol event at the Asian Shooting Championships.
- The debutant won the medals in junior men’s 10m air rifle individual, mixed-gender and team events.
FIFA appoints Arsene Wenger as chief of global football development
French football manager, Arsene Wenger has been appointed as FIFA’s new chief of global football development. Wenger will be chiefly responsible for overseeing and driving the growth and development of the sport for both men and women around the world.
Dutee Chand named in TIME 100 Next list
TIME magazine has named Indian athlete Dutee Chand to its first-ever TIME 100 Next, a new expansion of the TIME 100 list of the most influential people in the world.
- The list highlights 100 rising stars who are shaping the future of business, entertainment, sports, politics, health, science and activism, and more.
David Villa announces retirement from professional football
Former Spain and Barcelona forward David Villa announced that he would retire from professional football once the current J-League finishes.
FIFA bans three football officials for life for corruption
FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) has banned 3 South American football officials for a lifetime for connection with a 2015 corruption scandal in football. The three officials who were banned were Former Peru Football Federation Manuel Burga and Argentinian officials Eduardo Deluca and Jose Luis Meiszner.
ITDC appoints Kamala Vardhana Rao as its new Chairman and MD
India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) has appointed G Kamala Vardhana Rao as the new Chairman and Managing Director. Prior to this, an IAS officer 1990 batch from Kerala Cadre, was the Principal Secretary, Kerala government.
India bags first position at BRICS Young Scientist forum
India has received the first prize at BRICS Young Scientist forum’s conclave in Brazil. The fourth conclave was held in Brazil from 6- 8 November.
- Ravi Prakash, who is a PhD scholar from Indian Council of Agricultural Research-National Dairy Research Institute, has bagged the first position for inventing an affordable indigenously designed milk chilling unit for small to marginal rural dairy farmers.
World Diabetes Day
World Diabetes Day is the primary global awareness campaign focusing on diabetes mellitus and is held on 14 November each year.
- The theme for diabetes awareness month and World Diabetes Day 2019 is ‘Family and Diabetes’.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs