Daily Current Affairs 14 November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Mysuru to get India’s first sandalwood museum
The country’s very first sandalwood museum is likely to come up later this month in Mysuru in Karnataka.
- The museum is likely to be inaugurated after November 25, and will be shifted to the famous Mysuru Palace, which is already quite popular among tourists, both local and those coming from outside the state.
- The museum has been conceptualised in a way that it will help in spreading awareness about the history and the cultivation of sandalwood products.
Haryana CM unveils ‘Project Air Care’ for Gurugram
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar unveiled ‘Project Air Care’ in Gurgaon to combat rising air pollution in the NCR and surrounding region..
- Under this project, 65 Wind Augmentation Air Purifying Units (WAYU) will be installed at “8 to 10 locations” across Gurgaon.
- Created by the National Environmental Engineering Research Institute and IIT-Bombay, the air purification units convert pollutants like PM2.5 and PM2.10 particles, volatile organic compounds, and carbon monoxide, into carbon dioxide using a filter.
- These devices can reduce PM10 by 60-70 % and PM2.5 by 30-40 % at traffic junctions.
MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan launches roadmap to Aatma Nirbhar Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched a roadmap to Aatma Nirbhar Madhya Pradesh.
- On this occasion, the Chief Minister said special attention will be given to education and health in self-sufficient Madhya Pradesh.A network of hospitals will be established across the state for this purpose.
- He further said that there will also be a focus on employment and economy and small and cottage industries will be encouraged.
- He also transferred the interest-free loan of 10 thousand rupees each into the accounts of rural street vendors under the Chief Minister rural Street Vendor Loan Scheme.
- The Mukhya Mantri Rural Street Vendor Scheme has been launched by the state government, on the line of Pradhanmantri street vendor scheme. Its objective is to make available an amount up to 10 thousand rupees as working capital loan through banks to the street vendors in rural areas.
- Under the scheme, the state government will bear 14 percent interest subsidy on loans up to 10 thousand rupees per beneficiary. Also, a credit guarantee will be given by the state government under the scheme.
IRCTC Bharat Darshan Yatra to start from December 12
The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) will organise ‘Bharat Darshan–Dakshin Bharat Yatra’ from Hyderabad and Secunderabad from December 12 to 18.
- The theme of the yatra, which will cover Sri Rangam (Ranganathaswamy temple), Brihadeswara temple at Thanjavur, Rameswaram, Madurai Meenakshi and Kanyakumari, is to ‘Show India to Indians ‘.
- The facility of boarding and de-boarding this tourist train will be available at Secunderabad, Khammam, Nellore, Vijayawada, Warangal, Ongole, and Renigunta.
- The train will have 12 sleeper coaches, one 3-tier AC coach and a pantry car.
- The standard fare for sleeper coaches will be Rs 7,140 and that for three-tier AC will be Rs 8,610.
India announces $1 million aid to ASEAN Covid-19 Response Fund
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced $1 million aid to ASEAN Covid-19 Response Fund at the 17th ASEAN-India Summit which was held virtually.
- In his address to leaders from the 10 ASEAN countries, PM Modi also highlighted India’s response and broader support to the international community and welcomed the association’s initiatives to fight the pandemic.
- During the Summit, the ASEAN leaders acknowledged India’s contribution towards promoting peace and stability in the region and welcomed India’s support to ASEAN centrality. The Leaders also welcomed the adoption of the new ASEAN-India Plan of Action for 2021-2025.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Fitch Solutions revises India’s fiscal deficit forecast to 7.8 per cent from 8.2 per cent earlier for FY21
Fitch Solutions has revised its estimate for India’s fiscal deficit to 7.8% of GDP for 2020-21 from 8.2% projected earlier. This was mainly driven by a strong recovery in tax revenues during Q2FY21.
- According to the report, this revised forecast was driven by a strong recovery in tax revenues during the second quarter of FY 2020-21.
- The fiscal revenue forecast in FY21 for the central government has been revised to 18.2 per cent decline, from the earlier forecast of 18.4 per cent.
- The rating agency expects India’s economy to contract by 10.5% in the year ending March 2021 and growth to rebound to 11% in FY22, even as output in early 2022 will still be 16% lower than under its pre-coronavirus forecasts.
Moody’s revises India’s 2020 GDP forecast to -8.9% from -9.6%
Rating agency Moody’s Investors Service has raised India’s GDP forecast for the calendar year 2020 upwards to -8.9 per cent contraction from -9.6 per cent contraction forecast earlier.
- Similarly, India’s GDP forecast for the calendar year 2021 has been revised upwards to 8.6 per cent from 8.1 per cent projected earlier.
- The report released by Moody’s Investors Service attributed the reason behind better growth to the falling of coronavirus cases in the country.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Sonu Sood’s autobiography to be titled ‘I Am No Messiah’
Actor Sonu Sood, is often dubbed as the ‘Messiah of migrants’ for his philanthropic work during the on-going Covid-19 pandemic, is all set to pen his autobiography titled ‘I Am No Messiah.’
- The book will account the experience of Sonu Sood during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The book is set to be published by Penguin Random House India and released in December 2020.The book will be co-written by Meena Iyer.
Bollywood actor Asif Basra passes away
Bollywood actor Asif Basra allegedly died by suicide at a private guest house in McLeod Ganj, Himachal Pradesh. He was 53.
- Asif Basra starred in films like Black Friday, Parzania, Outsourced, Jab We Met, Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai, Kai Po Che, Krrish 3, Ek Villain, Kaalakaandi and Hichki.
- He was last seen in season 2 of the web series Hostages, which released earlier this year.
National Ayurveda Day
National Ayurveda Day 2020 is observed on 13 November). The day is being celebrated every year from 2016 on the day of Dhanwantri Jayanti or Dhanteras.
- The theme of the 5th National Ayurveda Day is — Ayurveda for COVID-19 pandemic. The main objective of the day is to focus on the strengths of Ayurveda and its unique treatment principles.
Children’s Day which is popularly known as ‘Baal Diwas’ is celebrated on November 14 across India to increase awareness of the rights, care and education of children.
- It is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of the country.
World Diabetes Day
World Diabetes Day happens on the 14th November every year all around the world. It aims to promote global awareness and how can people live the way they want while managing diabetes in an efficient way.
- The theme for World Diabetes Day 2020 is The Nurse and Diabetes.
- The campaign aims to raise awareness around the crucial role that nurses play in supporting people living with diabetes.