Daily Current Affairs 15 April 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first remote Health Monitoring System set up in Rishikesh
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Rishikesh along with BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electronics Limited) has set up India’s first remote health monitoring system. The system is to be widely used in the state of Uttarakhand to monitor COVID-19 patients
- The remote health monitoring system allows the doctors to monitor body temperature and oxygen of patients remotely.
- A website and mobile application were also built as a part of the system
Electronic format of comic textbooks launched in Manipur
After releasing country’s first comic textbooks primary classes, the electronic format of comic textbooks for Class III, IV and V respectively was formally launched by Manipur’s education Minister Dr Thokchom Radheshyam.
- The launching of the textbooks was held at Education Minister Radheshyam’s his office chamber at New Secretariat, Imphal. The comic textbooks can be availed from the website www.manipureducation.gov.in
Robots to serve food, medicine to COVID-19 patients in Jharkhand
Robots will serve food and give medicine to COVID-19 patients in two hospitals in Jharkhand’s West Singhbhum district, in a step to protect doctors and health workers from getting infected with coronavirus.
- Developed by District Deputy Development Commissioner (DDC) Aditya Ranjan, the remote-controlled COBOT-Robotics will provide food and medicine to patients without human intervention.
UN releases $ 2.5 million to help cyclone-ravaged Vanuatu
The United Nations has released $2.5m from its emergency humanitarian fund to help thousands of people affected by Cyclone Harold in the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu and offered support to other hard-hit countries.
- The cyclone made landfall on Espiritu Santo, the largest island in Vanuatu, on April 6 before hitting the Solomon Islands, Fiji and Tonga. At least two people died in Vanuatu, and a further 27 in the Solomon Islands when they were swept off a ferry in rough seas.
BANKING & FINANCE
Bank credit growth slumps to 5-decade low of 6.14% in FY20 over low demand
Bank credit growth decelerated to an over five-decade low of 6.14 per cent in the fiscal ended March 31, 2020, amid a faltering economy, lower demand and risk aversion among banks, RBI data showed.
- Bank advances growth in FY20 was the slowest since the fiscal ended March 1962, when loans had grown by 5.38 per cent.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Google Pay launches ‘Nearby Spot’ to help users find local stores selling essentials
Google has launched ‘Nearby Spot’ under Google Pay using which users in Bengaluru can see local stores selling essentials like groceries that are open, amid the lockdown.
- The Nearby Spot will be launched in Hyderabad, Chennai, Mumbai, Pune, and Delhi soon.
- The company has launched the COVID-19 Spot on Google Pay that aggregates all pertinent information on the topic, sourced directly from the Health Ministry.
India’s GDP to contract by 6.1% in April-June: Japan’s Nomura
The Japanese brokerage company said the economy will grow at 3.2% in the January-March period and contract by 6.1% (June quarter) and 0.5% September quarter, before rising by 1.4% in the last quarter of the calendar year, it said.
- The Indian economy will contract by 6.1% in the April-June quarter and is likely to expand only in the December quarter, a Japanese brokerage said on April 13, expecting another 0.75% in rates by the RBI to push growth in 2020.
Birupaksha Mishra takes charge as director at Union Bank of India
State-run Union Bank of India said Birupaksha Mishra has taken over the charge as its fourth executive director.
- Prior to this, Mishra was executive director at erstwhile Corporation Bank, which along with Andhra Bank got amalgamated with Union Bank from April 1.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
DRDO develops kiosk for Covid-19 sample collection
The Defence Research and Development Laboratory, Hyderabad has added another product to the portfolio of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to combat the coronavirus by developing the ‘COVID-19 Sample Collection Kiosk’ (COVSACK).
- The COVSACK is a kiosk through which healthcare workers can take coronavirus samples from suspected infected patients. The patient walks into the kiosk and a nasal/oral swab is taken by healthcare professional from outside through the built-in glove
Ministry of Tourism launches “DekhoApnaDesh” webinar series
The ministry of tourism said it was launching the Dekho Apna Desh webinar series.
- The ministry said the webinar series will provide information on the many destinations and the ‘depth’ and ‘expanse’ of the culture and heritage of India. The first webinar on Tuesday touched upon the history of Delhi and was titled ” City of Cities- Delhi’s Personal Diary” .
Former golfer Doug Sanders passes away
Former PGA Tour star Doug Sanders died of natural causes at the age of 86.
- Sanders won 20 PGA Tour events during his career from 1956-1972, although he had zero major championships despite being a runner-up four different times with 13 total top-10 finishes in the four main tournaments.