Daily Current Affairs 15 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi launces Jal Jeevan Mission on Independence Day
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during his Independence Day address at the Red Fort in New Delhi on Independence Day, announced an outlay of Rs 3.5 lakh crore for Jal Jeevan Mission for Centre and states to work together to provide piped potable water to every rural household by 2024..
Centre launches Swachh Nagar app for waste collection
Swachh Nagar app, an app that will allow users to have waste — solid, wet or construction and demolition (C&D) — collected by their urban local bodies was launched by the Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry, along with a new protocol on wastewater treatment that would become a part of cleanliness rankings of cities.
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri also launched the Swachh Survekshan 2020 (SS 2020), the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
RPF Launches “Operation Number Plate” across Indian Railways
Railway Protection Force (RPF) of Indian Railways had launched a Special Drive from 9th August to 11th August with a Code Name – Operation “Number Plate” to identify and verify all vehicles parked in Railway premises, circulating area, parkings and even in the ‘No Parking’ areas for longer duration.
- The unidentified vehicles are considered as a serious threat to security and safety of passengers and other stake holders of railways. It has been conducted specifically in view of forthcoming celebrations of Independence Day on 15th August 2019.
Headgear made mandatory for children above four years in the country
In a significant move, protective headgear of prescribed standards has been made mandatory for children above four years while travelling on a motorcycle.
- The safety measures for the children travelling on motorcycles have been included in the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act 2019 that is passed by Parliament.
‘Uber for tractors’: Government to launch app to aid farmers
The center and agriculture ministry have decided to launch a new revolutionary app which will help the rural farmers to access cutting-edge technology in an affordable price at their doorsteps. With this new mobile application, farmers can book and hire all the expensive agricultural equipment which is beyond the reach for any average small farmers.
- Keeping in mind the popular app ‘Uber’, the government named it ‘Uber for Tractors’ which aims to reach and connect among the grass root level people and farmers as Uber connects to cabs.
Odisha CM dedicates ‘The Rath’ to the people
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has dedicated ‘The Rath,’ a steel monument seeking to accentuate Odisha’s diverse culture and rich heritage, to the people.
- The steel monument, located at the picturesque Biju Patnaik Park in Bhubaneswar, is presented by Tata Steel in collaboration with Bhubaneswar Development Authority.
‘Panchamirtham’ of Palani temple gets GI tag
The famous Palani panchamirtham, given as ‘prasadam’ at the Murugan temple in Tamil Nadu, has been granted the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- This is the first time a temple ‘prasadam’ from Tamil Nadu has been bestowed with the GI tag.
Newly-Discovered lake in Nepal likely to become World’s Highest
A newly-discovered lake in Nepal is likely to set a new record of being the world’s highest lake replacing Tilicho, which is situated at an altitude of 4,919 metres in the Himalayan nation and currently holding the title.
- The Kajin Sara lake in Manang district was discovered about a few months ago by a team of mountaineers. It is located at Singarkharka area of Chame rural municipality.
BANKING & FINANCE
Danish bank launches world’s 1st negative interest rate home loan
Denmark’s third-largest bank, Jyske Bank, has launched the world’s first negative interest rate home loan, where the charge is -0.5% a year. This means that Jyske Bank will effectively pay borrowers 0.5% a year to take out a loan. Borrowers will make monthly repayments but the amount outstanding will be reduced each month by more than what the borrower paid.
ADB lends $23 Million to GR Infraprojects Limited to Expand Road Building Capacity in India
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed an agreement to invest $23 million in Non-Convertible Debentures being issued by GR Infraprojects Limited (GRIL) to help the company rapidly scale up its construction of roads and highways in India through the purchase of new building equipment.
Aditya Puri remains top-paid bank CEO
HDFC Bank’s managing director Aditya Puri remained the highest paid bank chief executive in India with a monthly basic salary of Rs 89 lakh in FY19. Puri has led the bank — the most valuable lender in the country — since its inception 25 years ago.
- Axis Bank’s CEO Amitabh Chaudhry, who took over the position in January, was second at a basic monthly salary of Rs 30 lakh.
P. T. Usha appointed member of AAA’s Athletes Commission
P. T. Usha, one of India’s greatest athletes, has been appointed as a member of the Asian Athletics Association’s (AAA) Athletes Commission.
Uttarakhand gets full member status in BCCI
The Committee of Administrators (CoA) have granted the Cricket Association of Uttarakhand (CAU) full BCCI membership.
IAF Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman honoured with Vir Chakra
Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, who downed an enemy jet during an aerial combat with Pakistan in February and was held captive for three days, has been conferred the Vir Chakra, India’s third-highest war time gallantry medal.
Priyam Chatterjee becomes first Indian chef to receive French honour
Priyam Chatterjee has became the first Indian chef to be awarded the ‘Chevalier de l’Ordre du Mérite Agricoleto’ by the government of France to recognise his contribution towards reinventing the gastronomic scene in India. Chatterjee is best known for revisiting the traditional dishes from his native state of West Bengal and giving it a French twist.
Independence Day (India)
Independence Day is annually celebrated on 15 August, as a national holiday in India commemorating the nation’s independence from the United Kingdom on 15 August 1947, the day when the UK Parliament passed the Indian Independence Act 1947 transferring legislative sovereignty to the Indian Constituent Assembly.
- India celebrated 73rd independence day on 15th August, 2019.