Daily Current Affairs 15 January 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre identifies 26 islands of Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshawadeep for holistic development by promoting tourism
The Centre has identified 16 islands in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and 10 in Lakshadweep for holistic development by promoting tourism and offering facilities for export of seafood and coconut-based products.
- This was disclosed at the sixth meeting of the Island Development Agency, IDA chaired by Home Minister Amit Shah in New Delhi.
AIR, Bangladesh counterpart sign content sharing programme
Bangladesh’s state-owned radio public broadcaster, Bangladesh Betar and All India Radio inaugurated a content sharing programme.
- The inauguration of the programme took place during the India and Bangladesh Information and Broadcasting Ministers Meet 2020.
India, Bangladesh ink MoU for co-production of biopic on Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
India and Bangladesh signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the co-production of a biopic on Bangladesh’s founding father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- The MoU was signed between National Film Development Cooperation of India and Film Development Cooperation of Bangladesh.
- The biopic will be directed by acclaimed filmmaker Shyam Benegal and will be released in March 2021 as part of centenary celebrations of Banga Bandhu.
Odisha CM announces special package for migrant workers
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced a special package for migrant workers. Under this Special package, employment under MGNREGA will be given for 200 days in a year in four districts, Bolangir, Bargarh, Nuapada and Kalahandi.
Fifth Science Film festival kick-starts in Goa
The fifth edition of Science Film Festival of India, SCI-FFI 2020, was kick-started in Goa’s capital city Panaji. The festival that will take place at the Inox Complex and Maquinez Palace in Goa, aims at instilling the knowledge of science among the youth with the help of exhibitions, masterclasses, workshops, and other activities.
Magh Bihu celebrated in Assam
Magh Bihu, an auspicious harvest festival, is being celebrated in Assam. People began the day by gathering at a temple and offered prayers, recited mantras and beat up the drums. They also took a walk around the bonfire.
Parshuram Kund Mela’ started in North-Eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh
Parshuram Kund Mela started in North-Eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh. Parshuram Kund, a Hindu pilgrimage centre situated on the Brahmaputra plateau in the lower reaches of the Lohit River.
Captain Tania Shergill become 1st Woman to lead Republic Day contingent
Indian Army Officer Captain Tania Shergill will be the first woman parade adjutant for the Republic Day parade 2020. Tania Shergill commissioned in March 2017 from the Officer Training Academy, Chennai.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
South Central Zone Railway, SBI sign MoU for direct pickup of earnings from Railway stations
South Central Zone (SCR) of Indian Railways and State Bank of India have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for direct pickup of earnings at all 585 Railway stations over South Central Railway (SCR) Zone.
- Under the MoU, the direct pick up of cash from all the railway stations on SCR will do away with the tedious and complex activity of movement of cash earnings through “Cash Safes” by trains.
Amazon to invest $1 billion to help digitise MSMEs, traders across India
Amazon, the world’s biggest e-commerce company, announced plans to invest one billion dollars (about Rs 7,092 crore) to digitally enable micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) and traders across India including manufacturers, resellers, local offline shops and brands.
- The company aims to digitise 10 million MSMEs with this investment, helping Indian businesses grow by selling online worldwide and enabling 10 billion dollars in cumulative exports by 2025.
- As part of this effort, Amazon will establish 100 digital haats in cities and villages throughout the country.
Mohamed Lamine Sissoko announces retirement from football
Former Liverpool and Juventus player Mohamed Lamine Sissoko (France) announced retirement from football. After joining the Reds from Valencia, the 34-year-old made 87 appearances for Liverpool between July 2005 and January 2008.
Jacqueline Williams to become first woman third umpire in a men’s international match
West Indies’ Jacqueline Williams is set to become the first woman third umpire in a men’s international match.
- When West Indies and Ireland step on the field to play the first T20I of the three-match series, Williams will forge her name into history.
- The 43-year-old will be officiating in the position in all three matches of the series.
Lt General Girish Kumar reappointed Surveyor General of India for one year
Lt General Girish Kumar has been reappointed as the Surveyor General of India for one year. Kumar was in September 2017 appointed as the Surveyor General of India under the Survey of India, the national survey and mapping organisation of the country.
Five-year-old Hyderabad boy achieves Guinness world record in Taekwondo
A five-year-old boy Aashman Taneja has made a Guinness world record in Taekwondo for the most full contact knee strikes in one-hour non-stop.
- Aashman is an incredible Taekwondo player and an athlete at a very young age. He is a USA World Open Taekwondo Silver medalist and a proud Guinness World Record holder now.
- He attempted the Guinness World Record for the most full contact knee strikes in one-hour non-stop and successfully achieved more than 1200 knee strikes.
Puri recieves Swachhata Darpan Awards 2019
Puri, a city of Odisha has been awarded for its initiatives for plastic waste management with the Swachhata Darpan Awards 2019. Award ceremony was held during the Open Defecation Free Sustainability Workshop held in National Capital New Delhi.
Noted Odia filmmaker Manmohan Mahapatra passes away
Veteran Odia filmmaker Manmohan Mohapatra passed away at the age of 69. Manmohan Mohapatra was an Odia filmmaker considered as the ‘Father of New Wave Odia Cinema’ and won eight national awards consecutively for ‘Best Feature Odia film’.