Daily Current Affairs 15 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Bengal tops in rural job scheme, T.N. is second
West Bengal has become the best performing State both in terms of allotting jobs and utilising funds under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).
- According to statistics, West Bengal generated more than 28.21 crore work days under the scheme so far in 2017-18 and spent more than ₹7,335.31 crore for it.
- Tamil Nadu occupied the second spot with 22.17 crore work days and spent ₹5,981.75 crore.
Suzlon commissions India’s largest wind turbine generator
Renewable solution provider Suzlon Group announced the installation and commissioning of its new product, S128, claiming it to be the largest wind turbine generator (WTG) in India.
- The first prototype of S128 has been commissioned at the Sanganeri site in Tamil Nadu.
WHO member-countries commit to end TB by 2030
Member-countries of the World Health Organisation (WHO) South-East Asia Region, including India, committed to intensifying efforts to eradicate tuberculosis by 2030.
- The summit sets the stage for the September 2018 United Nations high-level meeting on TB, wherein the issue will be discussed at the Heads of State level. The UN meeting is likely to endorse a set of goals to put the world on course to ending TB.
17th World Conference on Tobacco held in South Africa
The 17th World Conference on Tobacco or Health (WCTOH) was held in Cape Town, South Africa from 7-9 March 2018. It united researchers, academics, non-governmental organisations, civil society, scientists, healthcare professionals and public officials working on all aspects of tobacco control from more than 100 countries.
India ranked 133rd in World Happiness Index 2018
The World Happiness Index 2018, which measures 156 countries in terms of happiness, has placed India in the 133rd position, a drop of 11 places from last year’s 122nd rank.
- Finland has been named as the world’s happiest country. Norway got 2nd position in the index.
India ranks 78th in WEF Energy Transition Index
India has been ranked at the 78th position in the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) report on Energy Transition Index (ETI).
- The report, titled ‘Fostering Effective Energy Transition’, benchmarks historic and current performance of energy systems of 126 countries on 18 indicators, covering the three core dimensions of energy- access and security, sustainability and contribution to economic growth, and development.
- Sweden topped the list, followed by Norway at the second position, and Switzerland finishing in third.
IREDA & EIB sign Euro 150 million Loan Agreement for Renewable Energy Financing
European Investment Bank (EIB) and Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) Ltd. have signed a loan agreement for a second line of credit (LoC) of Euro 150 million on non-sovereign basis. The line of credit will be used for financing Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency projects in India. More than 1.1 million households are expected to benefit from clean energy produced with these funds.
Yes Bank launches a digitised trade finance solution
Private sector lender Yes Bank has launched a robotics based ‘Digital export Import’ payments solution as a part of its Yes Transact Smart Trade product suite.
- The integrated product uses robotics process automation and helps in eliminating the requirement of documents submission for import and export payments.
GDP growth likely to be at 6.8-6.9% in 2018: Deloitte
A report from Deloitte has pegged India’s growth at 6.8-6.9 per cent in 2018, adding that it will be driven by private consumption by both rural and urban areas.
Indian football team re-enters top-100 in FIFA rankings
The Indian football team has re-entered the top-100 of the FIFA world rankings and is now placed at 99th in the latest chart.
- The team, which did not play any international match in this ranking period, jumped three places to enter the top-100 for the first time this year. It now has 339 points to its kitty to be at joint 99th spot with Libya.
Slovenian PM Cerar resigns
Slovenian Prime Minister Miro Cerar has resigned, hours after the Supreme Court annulled the result of a September referendum that approved a 1-billion-euro railway project, the centre-left government’s biggest investment programme.
Indian film ‘Evening Shadows’ wins award at Amsterdam fest
Sridhar Rangayan’s “Evening Shadows”, a film on how a mother-son’s bond is put to the test when the son tells the mother he is gay, has won a ‘Free To Be Me’ Award at the Roze Filmdagen, a LGBTQ film festival in Amsterdam.
Lebanese author, feminist Emily Nasrallah passes away at 87
Acclaimed Lebanese author and feminist Emily Nasrallah, who articulated women’s experiences in her writing about Lebanon’s civil war, has passed away.
World Consumer Rights Day: 15 March
World Consumer Rights Day is observed on 15th March every year. The day is an opportunity to promote basic rights of all consumers, demanding that those rights are respected and protected. It also gives people a chance to protest against the market abuses and social injustices.
- The theme of World Consumer Rights Day 2018 is “Making Digital Marketplaces Fairer”.