Daily Current Affairs 15 March 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt extends Credit Guarantee Scheme for Subordinate Debt upto March 31, 2023
Government has extended Credit Guarantee Scheme for Subordinate Debt for Stressed Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, MSMEs upto 31st March next year.
- The scheme was launched on 24th June, 2020 to provide credit facility through lending institutions to the promoters of stressed MSMEs.
- TheMinistry said, the scheme has been further extended on the basis of the requests received from the stakeholders of the scheme.
India, Sri Lanka sign agreement to build solar power plant in island nation
India and Sri Lanka have signed an agreement for developing a 100 megawatt solar power plant in the eastern port district Trincomalee, Sri Lanka, as part of the efforts to strengthen bilateral economic partnership, including through cooperation in the renewable energy sector.
- The Joint endeavor and Shareholders’ Agreement (JVSHA) for the Trincomalee Power Company Limited (TPCL) — a joint venture between National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited from India and the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) for fostering the 100 megawatt solar power plant at Sampur — has been signed.
India’s first ‘World Peace Center’ will be established in Gurugram
Ahimsa Vishwa Bharti organisation established by Ambassador of Peace, Eminent Jainacharya Dr Lokeshji will establish India’s first World Peace Center in Gurugram, Haryana.
- For this, the Haryana Government has allotted a plot to the organization in Sector 39 of Gurugram opposite Medanta Hospital and adjacent to Delhi-Jaipur Highway.
- Acharya Dr Lokeshji, the Founder of Ahimsa Vishwa Bharti, said that the programs of Peace Education, prepared with the coordination of ancient knowledge and modern science, would be conducted for everyone such as students, teachers, youth, women, doctors, engineers, lawyers, traders, farmers etc.
Mumbai becomes first South Asian city to detail net-zero roadmap
Mumbai announced detailed plans to zero out carbon emissions by 2050, a target that puts it two decades ahead of India’s national goal and makes it the first city in South Asia to set such a timeline.
- In the plan announced, India’s financial center, home to south Asia’s biggest corporations, stock bourses and the central bank, has proposed exhaustive changes to the way it manages energy, water, air, waste, green spaces and transport for its 19 million residents.
India’s 1st ever GI-tagged Kashmir carpets flagged off to Germany
The Jammu and Kashmir government has finally started a Geographical Indication (GI) registry for the famed Kashmiri carpet with a quick response (QR) code with details of artisans and the material used. The first ever consignment of GI-tagged carpets were exported to Germany from New Delhi.
- The Geographical Indication Registry of the Department of Industry Promotion and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry granted GI tag to Kashmiri carpets in June 2016 but the registered carpets were certified from this year.
First Gati Shakti Cargo Terminal of Indian Railways commissioned
Asansol division of Indian Railways has successfully commissioned a private siding of Maithan Power Limited at Thaparnagar, in accordance with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision “Gati Shakti” and the Ministry of Railways’ policy regarding the “Gati Shakti Multi-Modal Cargo Terminal” (GCT), informed the Ministry of Railways.
- Since the publication of the GCT policy in December of 2021, this is the FIRST such GCT to be commissioned in Indian Railways.
- This will increase Railways’ monthly earnings by around Rs. 11 crores. The siding is in close proximity to industrial and mining areas, and its future prospects are strong.
India’s first medical city ‘Indrayani Medicity’ to set up in Maharashtra
The state government of Maharashtra has announced to set up country’s first medical city named as ‘Indrayani Medicity’ in Pune, to provide all kinds of specialised treatment under one roof.
- It will come up in 300-acre of land area in Khed taluka of Pune.The project is estimated to attract investment worth over Rs. 10,000 crore.
- Indrayani Medicity will have hospitals, centres for medical research, pharmaceutical manufacturing, wellness and physiotherapy, and will be first-of-its-kind city in the country to have all the treatments available at one place.
PM inaugurates the 11th Khel Mahakumbh in Ahmedabad
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 11th Khel Mahakumbh at Sardar Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad, an annual sports competition organized here by the Gujarat government.
- Khel Mahakumbh, which began in Gujarat in 2010 with 16 sports and 13 lakh participants, now includes 36 general sports and 26 para-sports. The 11th Khel Mahakumbh has received over 45 lakh registrations.
Bangladesh top in South Asia in terms of women on board of listed companies
Bangladesh tops the list in South Asia in terms of women on board of listed companies, says a study conducted by International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE).
- According to the latest figures, there was an increase in the percentage of women who are independent directors on listed companies from five percent in 2020 to six percent, despite the impact of COVID-19, which has disproportionately affected women, said a press release issued by the IFC.
- A 2020 IFC-DSE study showed at the time around 18 percent of listed company board directors were women, which has remained the same.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NSE, IBJA join hands to launch bullion spot exchange for catering B2B
National Stock Exchange of India Ltd (NSE) and India Bullion and Jewelers Association Ltd (IBJA) has joined hands to launch the Domestic Bullion Spot Exchange in line with SEBI guidelines.
- The duo is in advanced discussions with Industry participants in closing the shareholder structure.
- The collaboration not only offers the much-awaited platform to the industry players for the spot market bullion transactions but also acts as a step in the direction of allowing investors and consumers to directly participate on the exchange platform.
India’s overall exports estimated to be over 601 Billion dollar in April to Feb 2021-22
India’s overall exports are estimated to be over 57 billion dollar in February this year, exhibiting a positive growth of 25.41 per cent over the same period last year.
- Commerce and Industry Ministry said, the country’s overall exports in April to February 2021-22 are estimated to be over 601 Billion dollar, exhibiting a positive growth of over 36 per cent over the same period last year. The Ministry said, overall imports in February this year are estimated to be 69.35 Billion dollar, exhibiting a positive growth of 35.64 per cent over the same period last year.
German Open Badminton 2022: Lakshya Sen won Silver Medal
Indian Shuttler Lakshya Sen wins Silver Medal in the German Open (Badminton) 2022 Tournament. He is defeated by Kunlavut Vitidsarn of Thailand, 18-21, 15-21, in the men’s singles final at the German Open 2022.
Winner list of German Open (Badminton) 2022 :
- Men’s singles – Kunlavut Vitidsarn (Thailand) beat Lakshya Sen (India)
- Women’s singles – He Bingjiao (China) beat Chen Yufei (China)
- Men’s Double – Goh Sze Fei and Nur Izzuddin (Malaysia)
- Women’s Double – Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan (China)
- Mixed Doubles – Dechapol Puavaranukroh / Sapsiree Taerattanachai (Thailand).
Tapan Singhel gets 5-year extension as Bajaj Allianz General Insurance’s MD & CEO
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance announced a five-year extension for its Managing Director and CEO, Tapan Singhel.The extension is with effect from April 1, 2022.
- Singhel is the first MD and CEO to receive two consecutive extensions at the company.
N Chandrasekaran named as chairman of Air India
Tata Sons Chairman N Chandrasekaran has been appointed the Chairman of Air India at a board meeting of the airline conducted last week.
- Currently, three executive directors who were appointed by the government when the airline was in its control are still serving on the board of Air India. The Tata Group took over the airline on January 27 this year, and is yet to announce a reconstituted board of directors.
Shubman Gill and Ruturaj Gaikwad appointed as brand ambassadors of My11Circle
India’s leading online skill gaming company Games24x7 has announced young and talented Indian cricketers Shubman Gill and Ruturaj Gaikwad as the new brand ambassadors for My11Circle, it’s popular fantasy sports platform.
- Both Shubman and Ruturaj will be seen in multimedia campaigns by My11Circle, spanning across TV, digital and social media platforms.
Ranjit Rath named as Chairman & MD of Oil India Ltd
Odisha-born Ranjit Rath (50) has been selected by the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) to head Oil India Limited, country’s second largest oil and gas producer.
- Rath, who is currently the chairman and managing director of Mineral Exploration Corporation Ltd (MECL), was selected for the post of chairman and managing director ahead of two directors on the Oil India board and another executive director of the company.
- Oil India’s current chairman and managing director Sushil Chandra Mishra will superannuate on June 30, this year.
75th BAFTA Award 2022 announced
The winners of the 75th edition of British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA) were announced in a glittery ceremony, conducted at London’s Royal Albert Hall.
- ‘The Power of the Dog’ won two BAFTA awards, Best Picture and Best Director for Jane Campion. Will Smith won the Best Actor for his role in ‘King Richard’, while Joanna Scanlan won the Best Actress award for her role in ‘After Love’.
BAFTA Awards 2022 Winners List:
- Best Film: The Power of the Dog wins Best Film
- Best Director: Jane Campion for The Power of the Dog
- Best Actor: Will Smith for King Richard
- Best Actress: Joanna Scanlan for After Love
- Outstanding British Film: Belfast
- Best Animated Film; Encanto
- Best Documentary: Summer of Soul
- Best Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur for CODA
- Best Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose for West Side Story
- Best Original Score: Dune
- EE Rising Star Award: Lashana Lynch
- Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer: The Harder They Fall
- Best Film not in England Language: Drive My Car
- Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza
- Best Adapted Screenplay: CODA
- Best Casting: West Side Story
- Best Editing: No Time To Die
- Cinematography: Dune
- Production Design: Dune
- Sound: Dune
- Special Visual Effects: Dune
- Best Costume Design: Cruella
- Best Hair and Make Up: The Eyes of Tammy Faye
- British Short Animation: Do Not Feed the Pigeons
- British Short Film: The Black Cop
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Delhi govt launches ‘My EV’ portal for purchasing, registering e-autos
To ease the availing of interest subvention on loans taken to purchase electric autos (e-Auto Rickshaws), the Delhi Government has launched ‘My EV Portal’. The move is expected to help the auto rickshaw drivers who look to switch to the electric ones from the CNG.
- My EV Portal website has been developed by the Government of Delhi along with Convergence Energy Services Limited (CESL) which has made Delhi the first state to provide such a facility. The portal can be accessed at https://www.myev.org.in.