Daily Current Affairs 15 May 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Malerkotla to Be Punjab’s 23rd District: CM Amarinder Singh
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh announced the creation of a new district of Malerkotla, carving the state’s only Muslim-majority town from Sangrur district.
- Adjoining Amargarh and Ahmedgarh will also form part of Punjab’s 23rd district.
- Malerkotla, which is 35 km from the Sangrur district headquarters, a district status was a pre-poll promise by the Congress. The chief minister also announced a Rs 500-crore medical college, a women’s college, a new bus stand and a women police station in Malerkotla.
Gujarat: ‘My Village – Corona Free Village’ campaign helped in checking spread of Covid-19 in rural areas
In Gujarat, ‘Maru Gam – Corona Mukt Gam’ or My Village – Corona Free Village – campaign launched by the state government has helped in checking the spread of Covid-19 in rural areas.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani had launched this 15-day campaign on the occasion of the state’s foundation day.
- ‘My village – Corona Free Village’ campaign was launched with the aim to check the spread of Covid19 infection in the villages.
Chhattisgarh Govt to Fund Education of Children Orphaned Due to Covid-19
The Chhattisgarh government said it will bear education expenses of the children who have lost parents to COVID-19. The state government has decided to launch the ‘Chhattisgarh Mahtari Dular Yojna’ for such children.
- Under the scheme, a stipend of Rs 500 per month will be paid to such children from Classes 1 to 8 and Rs 1,000 per month from Classes 9 to 12. Children studying in both government and private schools will be entitled to this stipend.
- The state government will also fund the education of the children who have lost breadwinner of the family to COVID-19.
8th instalment of PM Kisan Samman Nidhi released to over 9.50 crore farmers
Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the 8th instalment of financial benefit under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme to over 9 crore 50 lakh farmers in the country.
- Under the 8th instalment of this largest direct cash transfer scheme in the world over 20 thousand crore rupees have been transferred directly into the accounts of the beneficiary farmers.
AYUSH Dept launches statewide wellness programme ‘AYUSH Ghar Dwar’ for COVID-19 patients in Sloan district of Himachal Pradesh
In Himachal Pradesh, AYUSH Department launched a state-wide wellness programme ‘AYUSH Ghar Dwar’ for COVID-19 patients, in Sloan district.
- This initiative aims to provide a Holistic Healthcare Approach through AYUSH to ensure not only physical but also mental, social and spiritual wellbeing to COVID patients through AYUSH.
- The Ayush Ghar Dwar program is being launched by AYUSH Vibhag Himachal Pradesh in collaboration with the Art of Living Organization. Under this program around 1000 virtual groups will be made on different social media platforms through which trained instructors on Ayurveda will conduct virtual sessions on Yoga, Pranayam, Breathing Exercises, Meditation, therapies, medicines and practices to calm the mind besides others.
BANKING & FINANCE
Airtel Payments Bank launches DigiGold for digital gold investment
Airtel Payments Bank launched DigiGold, a digital platform for its customers to make investments in gold.
- DigiGold, which allows customers to start with an investment of as low as Re 1, has been launched in partnership with SafeGold, a provider of digital gold.
- The gold purchased by customers is stored securely by SafeGold at no additional cost and can be sold through Airtel Thanks app at any time in a matter of few clicks.
RBI cancels licence of West Bengal’s United Co-operative Bank
The Reserve Bank of India said it has cancelled the licence of United Co-operative Bank Ltd, Bagnan, West Bengal, as it does not have adequate capital and earning prospects.
- The bank ceases to carry on banking business, with effect from the close of business on May 13, 2021.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
GoAir rebrands as Go First after 15 years of flying
After being in the skies for 15 years, Wadia Group-owned GoAir has rebranded itself as ‘Go First’ as the airline focuses on ultra-low-cost business model amid the aviation industry grappling with pandemic headwinds.
- The announcement also comes amid reports that the airline was preparing for an initial share sale to raise funds for its ambitious expansion plans.
- The Go First as ULCC (ultra-low-cost carrier) would operate single aircraft type across its fleet, which currently has both Airbus A320 and A320Neos (new engine option) planes in operation.
KP Sharma Oli Sworn in as Nepal Prime Minister; Retains Previous Cabinet
K P Sharma Oli was sworn in as Nepal’s Prime Minister, days after he lost a crucial vote of confidence in Parliament. President Bidya Devi Bhandari administered the oath of office and secrecy to Oli, 69, as the 43rd prime minister of Nepal at a ceremony at Shital Niwas, the presidential palace.
- Oli was appointed as prime minister by the president in his capacity as leader of the largest political party in Nepal’s House of Representatives.
- He was reappointed to the post as the Opposition parties failed to secure majority seats in Parliament to form a new government.
Elisabetta Belloni named as first woman to head Italy secret service
A former ambassador has been named as the first woman to lead Italy’s secret services. Prime Minister Mario Draghi announced Elisabetta Belloni as head of the Department of Information Security (DIS).
- The department oversees the country’s foreign and domestic intelligence services and reports directly to the Italian government. After serving as a diplomat in Vienna and Bratislava, Ms Belloni went on to lead the Italian foreign ministry’s crisis unit from 2004 to 2008, the first time a woman had held the role.
U.K. names David Attenborough COP26 People’s Advocate
Sir David Attenborough, world-renowned broadcaster and natural historian, has been named COP26 People’s Advocate for the U.K.’s Presidency of the UN climate change summit in Glasgow this November.
- With six months to go before the U.K. brings world leaders together for key climate talks, the passionate conservationist is tasked with putting forward the compelling case to global leaders, key decision makers and the public for why climate action matters, to evidence the progress underway, and to highlight the actions decision makers will need to take ahead of and at COP26.
Ramesh Powar appointed head coach of Indian Women’s Cricket Team
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) appointed former Indian cricketer Ramesh Powar as the head coach of Indian Women’s Cricket Team. The Indian cricket board had advertised for the post and received over 35 applications.
- Powar will replace WV Raman, who was appointed the head coach of the India women’s team in December 2018. During Raman’s tenure, India managed to reach the finals of the T20 World Cup 2020.
Nepali Sherpa Sets World Record by Scaling Everest Twice in Shortest Time in the Same Season
Mingma Tenji Sherpa, a 43-year-old Nepali mountain guide, has created a world record by scaling Mount Everest twice in the shortest span of time within a season.
- Sherpa, a resident of Sankhuwasabha district of eastern Nepal, first reached the summit of Everest in the evening of May 7 as a member of a rope-fixing team, and then scaled the world’s highest mountain again on the morning of May 11.
UN Chief honours Indian peacekeeper Yuvraj Singh, who died in line of duty in 2020
An Indian peacekeeper, who lost his life in the line of duty in 2020, was honoured at a solemn memorial service that paid tribute to over 300 United Nations personnel who died last year, the highest number of UN colleagues lost in a single year.
- Corporal Yuvraj Singh was among the 336 UN personnel who lost their lives in the line of duty and due to the COVID-19 and related circumstances between January 1 and December 31, 2020.
- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres led the annual memorial service honouring the United Nations personnel.
World’s 50 Greatest Leaders: New Zealand PM Tops Fortune’s List, Adar Poonawalla In Top 10
New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern has topped the ‘World’s 50 Greatest Leaders’ list for 2021, released by Fortune Magazine.
- The ‘World’s 50 Greatest Leaders’ list for 2021 is the eighth edition of the annual list which celebrates leaders, some well-known and others who aren’t so familiar, who made a difference amid the “truly unprecedented times” of the Covid-19 pandemic.
List of Top 10 Fortune’s World’s 50 Greatest Leaders 2021
- Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand
- mRNA Pioneers
- Dan Schulman, CEO of PayPal
- Dr John Nkengasong, director of Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention
- Adam Silver; Michele Roberts; Chris Paul, NBA Rescuers
- Jessica Tan, founder of Ping An Group
- Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury for the Church of England/Anglican Church
- Stacey Abrams, founder of Fair Fight
- Reshorna Fitzpatrick, pastor for Proceeding Word Church, Chicago
- Adar Poonawalla, CEO of Serum Institute of India.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
DRDO develops an Oxycare system to regulate oxygen in patients body
The Defence Research and Development Organisation, DRDO has developed an Oxycare system to regulate oxygen being administered to the patients based on the sensed values of oxygen saturation in the body.
- The intelligent configuration of this Oxycare system provides automatic regulation of oxygen through a Low Pressure Regulator and Electronic Control System.
- The Oxycare system developed by DRDO optimises consumption of oxygen based on oxygen saturation in the body. It reduces the workload of hospital staff eliminating the need of routine measurement and manual adjustment of oxygen flow.
- It is integrated with Non-Rebreather Masks saving oxygen by 30 to 40 per cent. The Oxycare system with audio warning for various failure scenarios can be used at homes, Quarantine Centres, COVID Care Centres and hospitals.
China’s first Mars rover, Zhu Rong successfully landed on Mars
The lander carrying China’s first Mars rover – Zhu Rong successfully landed on Mars.
- Quoting China National Space Administration, state media said, Tianwen-1, consisting of an orbiter, a lander and a rover, was launched from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site on the coast of southern China’s island province of Hainan on 23rd July in 2020 and entered the Mars orbit in February this year.
Cyclone Tauktae likely to hit Konkan coast and Mumbai, Thane, Raigad and Palghar on 16th and 17th May
The regional meteorological department in Mumbai said that Cyclone Tauktae is likely to hit the Konkan coast in Maharashtra and Mumbai, Thane, Raigad and Palghar on the 16th and 17th.
- The winds will blow at a speed of 60 to 70 kilometres per hour while heavy rains are expected in the area due to rough seas. The weather bureau said the formation of a low-pressure belt over the Lakshadweep Isles and the Arabian Sea will increase the intensity of Cyclone Tauktae.
Times Group Chairperson Indu Jain passes away
Media owner Indu Jain, chairperson, of the Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd (BCCL), passed away. She was 84.
- A spiritualist, Jain founded the Times Foundation in 2000 with sustainable development as one of its key goals. The Foundation engages in community service and runs the Times Relief Fund to offer assistance in the event of natural disasters.
- Jain was an advocate of world peace. In 2000, she addressed the UN at the Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders.
- Jain was also the recipient of Padma Bhushan in 2016. In 2019 she got the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India for translating excellence in corporate governance into reality.
International Day of Families
May 15 is observed as the International Day of Families by the United Nations to dedicate the whole day to families and appreciate their importance. Since 1994, May 15 is celebrated as Family Day.
- The theme of this year’s International Day of Families is “Families and New Technologies.”