Daily Current Affairs 15 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NGT sets up committee to submit action plan on providing proper infrastructure facilities to Amarnath pilgrims
The National Green Tribunal rapped the Amarnath Shrine Board for not providing proper infrastructural facilities to pilgrims travelling to the cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas.
- The Green Panel formed a committee of experts headed by the additional secretary of Ministry of Environment and Forests to submit an action plan on providing facilities to the pilgrims.
India’s global rank up to 14th for reducing greenhouse gas emissions
India is ranked 14th in this year’s Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2018 out of 56 nations and the European Union by environmental organisation Germanwatch, an improvement from its 20th position last year, for reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by opting to transform its electricity sector towards green technology.
- The top three rankings are unoccupied as the report says no country is on a Paris-compatible path yet that aims to keep the average global temperature rise well below two degrees Celsius and as close as possible to 1.5 degrees Celcius.
- Sweden ranks fourth in this year’s CCPI, following the empty top three.
BSE Institute sets up India’s first in-house Block Chain Lab
The leader in financial education, Bombay Stock Exchange Institute Ltd. (BIL), has signed an MoU with DLT Labs in Mumbai to set up the country’s first state-of-the-art Block Chain Lab in an institution.
15th Asia Pacific Computer Emergency Response Team Conference held in India
The 15th Asia Pacific Computer Emergency Response Team (APCERT) Conference was held in New Delhi. It is first ever conference to be held in India and South Asia. It was organised by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) under the aegis of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology.
International Lavi Fair held in Himachal
Himachal Pradesh hosted the International Lavi Fair at Rampur Bushahr in Shimla district. The 300-year-old Lavi fair is an important trade event between India and Tibet. It also provides a platform for social and cultural events.
West Bengal gets GI tag for rosogolla
West Bengal’s bitter struggle with Odisha ended on a sweet note with the State getting GI (Geographical Indication) tag for rosogolla. While Bengal claimed that the delicacy was invented in Kolkata by confectioner Nobin Chandra Das in the 1860s, Odisha government said it was invented in Puri in the 13th century.
- The GI authorities however said rosogolla originated in West Bengal.
- Now, Odisha government has announced that it would apply for the tag for ‘Odishara Rasogolla’ soon.
China Launches World’s First All-Electric Ship
China has launched world’s first all-electric ship that can travel up to 80 km with 2000-tonnes cargo after a two-hour charge. The 70.5-metre-long ship, which weighs about 600 tonnes, was launched in Guangzhou in South China’s Guangdong Province. It can cruise at the top speed of 12.8 km per hour.
Saudi Arabia approves Yoga as sports activity
The Saudi Ministry of Trade and Industry declared that Yoga has been listed under “sports activities”. This will now allow citizens of the Islamic kingdom to practice or propagate it by getting a licence from the government.
- Nouf Al Marwaai is the first credited Saudi woman teaching yoga and has been recognized as the driving force behind the development of yoga in Saudi Arabia.
Slovenia’s President Pahor wins second term in close race
Slovenian President Borut Pahor was re-elected for a second term in a runoff vote, beating his challenger in a tight race.
Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth win NTR Award
Veteran actors Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth and film director K. Raghvendra Rao have bagged the NTR National Film Awards for 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- The Andhra Pradesh government announced the Nandi state film award winners and also the winners of the NTR, B. N. Reddy, Nagi Reddy-Chakrapani (all national) and Raghupathi Venkaiah film awards.
- Directors S.S. Rajamouli, Trivikram Srinivas and Boyapati Srinivas won the BN Reddy Award.
Indonesian beauty queen crowned Miss International 2017
Indonesia’s Kevin Lilliana was crowned Miss International 2017 at an event held at the Tokyo Dome City Hall. Lilliana also won the award for being the best dressed contestant.
Hindi poet Kunwar Narain passes away
Noted Hindi poet Kunwar Narain, who had been writing consistently for well over five decades, has passed away at the age of 90.
Veteran Hindustani vocalist Jagdish Mohan passes away
Noted Hindustani vocalist of Kirana Gharana Jagdish Mohan has passed away. He hailed from Uttarakhand’s Haridwar.