Daily Current Affairs 15 November 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Gujarat government launches Niramay Yojana
The Gujarat government launched ‘Niramay Gujarat Yojana’ to screen and protect people above 30 years from non-communicable diseases.
- The scheme includes the screening of those above 30 years of age against such diseases at primary health centres and community health centres every Friday — also known as Mamta Divas.
- They will be given a Niramay Card with their health details. The screening and facilities of treatment would save a family’s expenses by Rs 12,000 to 15,000.
Tourism ministry signs pact with IRCTC to boost hospitality, tourism industry
Ministry of Tourism in its ongoing effort to strengthen the Hospitality & Tourism Industry has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC).
- The primary objective of this MOU is to provide extensive visibility to accommodation units, which have self-certified themselves on SAATHI (System for Assessment, Awareness & Training for the Hospitality Industry) on the OTA platform.
- The MoU also outlines both parties to encourage Units to register on NIDHI and thereby on SAATHI and encourage local tourism Industry with appropriate safeguards for curbing spread of COVID-19.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank integrates with government’s e-NAM platform
HDFC Bank announced its integration with the government’s National Agriculture Market (eNAM) to enable digital collections and settlement of funds to various e-NAM beneficiaries.
- HDFC Bank said it has partnered with the SFAC to further improve the ease of doing business on e-NAM platform by offering collection modes like multi-net banking, debit card, NEFT/RTGS and UPI/IMPS.
- Farmers utilizing the e-NAM platform simply need to upload required KYC details to get registered. Details of their produce and quality assaying certificate is uploaded by the mandi before the e-bidding process. Once the sale bill is finalized, they can easily receive payment using the system provided by HDFC Bank.
RBI puts Rs 1000 withdrawal cap on Laxmi Cooperative Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed several restrictions on Laxmi Cooperative Bank Ltd, Solapur, including Rs 1,000 cap on withdrawals for customers, due to deterioration in its financial position.
- The restrictions imposed under the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, shall remain in force for six months from the close of business on November 12, 2021, and are subject to review, the RBI said in a statement.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NTPC ties up with Indian Oil to collaborate in renewable energy
State-run Indian Oil Corporation and NTPC have signed an agreement for collaborating on renewable energy.
- This is a first-of-its-kind novel initiative by two leading national energy majors of India, to support the country’s commitment to achieving renewable energy targets and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Through this MoU, the strengths of both the organizations can be leveraged to achieve the aim of the country to meet its net-zero commitments.
Oil India Limited, IIT-Guwahati to join hand to boost tech in energy sector
Indian Institute of Technology-Guwahati (IIT) will collaborate with Oil India Limited (OIL) on the development and introduction of new technologies energy, and related sectors.
- The partnership will also focus on cooperation in Transfer of existing technologies, Knowledge up-gradation and innovation partnership, Training and skill development, and other areas of mutual agreement.
Tata Projects bags $120mn order for power transmission project in Bangladesh
Tata Projects Limited has received an order for a 400kV double circuit transmission line project valued at around $120 million (around ₹900 crores) from the Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Limited (PGCB).
- This 120-km project from Barapukuria to Bogura has been secured on a turnkey basis.
- It will be executed in 30 months and the funding shall be done by EXIM Bank India under Indian Line of Credit.
India’s retail inflation rate rises marginally to 4.48% in October
India’s retail inflation rate, which is measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), rose to 4.48 percent in the month of October 2021, data released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) revealed.
- There was a marginal increase in retail inflation in October due to an uptick in food prices, government data showed. The CPI-based inflation in September 2021 was at 4.35 percent and in October 2020 it was 7.61 percent.
- For the fourth month in a row, CPI has been below the Reserve Bank of India’s six percent margin. The Government of India had told RBI to maintain a retail inflation rate at four percent with an upper and lower margin of two percent on either side for five years, till March 2026.
Australia win their maiden T20 World Cup title after beating New Zealand
Australia has become the new world champions after beating New Zealand by 8 wickets in the finale of the 2021 ICC T20 World Cup at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium .
- This is Australia’s maiden World T20 title as the Men in Yellow had never won a T20 World Cup since the inception of the tournament in 2007.
- Star of the match were David Warner and Mitchell Marsh as Australia chased the target in 18.5 overs.
Here are the full list of award winners:
- Man of the Match: Mitchell Marsh
- Player of the Tournament: David Warner – 289 runs.
Alexander Zverev beats Frances Tiafoe to win fifth ATP title in 2021
Alexander Zverev won his fifth ATP title of the season and 18th overall by defeating American qualifier Frances Tiafoe 7-5, 6-4 at the Erste Bank Open.
- The fourth-ranked German improved to 5-0 in finals this season, becoming the second player after Norwegian Casper Ruud with a tour-leading five tournament wins in 2021.
Erik Kynard becomes 2012 Olympic high jump gold medalist in 2021
American Erik Kynard was upgraded to a 2012 Olympic high jump gold medal after original gold medalist Ivan Ukhov of Russia was previously stripped for doping, the IOC announced.
- Kynard’s leap of 2.33 meters placed second behind Ivan Ukhov, who was proven years later to have taken part in the Russian state-backed steroid doping program.
- Ukhov was banned for four years in 2019 at the Court of Arbitration for Sport. He went back to the same court last year for an appeal hearing but failed to overturn the ruling.
Pakistan Pacer Wahab Riaz Plans to Retire After the 2023 World Cup
Left-arm Pakistan fast bowler Wahab Riaz is planning to retire from international cricket after the 2023 World Cup in India.
- The 36-year-old pacer, who has played 27 Tests, 91 ODIs and 36 T20Is, has not been a regular in the Pakistan team for a while now and was also ignored for the T20 World Cup.
VVS Laxman Will be Next National Cricket Academy Head: Report
Former India batter VVS Laxman will be the next head of the National Cricket Academy (NCA), a senior BCCI official confirmed.
- Laxman will take over from his former batting colleague Rahul Dravid, who was recently appointed as chief coach of the Indian team following the end of Ravi Shastri’s tenure.
Professor Bimal Patel elected to UN’s International Law Commission for 5-yr term
Professor Bimal Patel, Vice-Chancellor, Rashtriya Raksha University and Member of National Security Advisory Board of India, has been elected to the International Law Commission for a five-year term starting January 1, 2023 in a hard-fought election at the United Nations.
- Patel garnered 163 votes in the UN General Assembly out of 192 members present and voting, topping the Asia-Pacific group that included candidates from China, South Korea and Japan.
Rahul Dravid named brand ambassador of kids footwear brand Plaeto
Plaeto, a footwear brand for children, has roped in Rahul Dravid as its brand ambassador and mentor. The brand has announced the partnership along with a campaign featuring Dravid.
- The campaign has been developed by Bangalore-based People Design and Communication, in partnership with team Plaeto.
Ravi Shastri Joins Upcoming Legends League as Commissioner
After retiring as a Head Coach for Men In Blue, former cricketer Ravi Shastri has joined Legends League Cricket (LLC) as commissioner.
- The LLC is a professional event for the retired cricketer which will take-off next year and it is expected that first season will be held in January next year in the Gulf.
Mahela Jayawardena, Shaun Pollock, Janette Brittin to be Inducted Into ICC Hall of Fame
Sri Lankan great Mahela Jayawardena, former South Africa all-rounder Shaun Pollock and ex England batter Janette Brittin will be inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame before the T20 World Cup final gets underway.
- The ICC Hall of Fame recognises the achievements of the legends of the game from cricket’s long and illustrious history. 106 players have been inducted since its launch in 2009, with Brittin, Jayawardena and Pollock as the latest inductees
Bengal’s Education, Tourism Depts Win Gold at Skoch Award
West Bengal school and higher education and tourism departments have received Skoch award.
- School Education Department and Higher Education Department of GoWB – both have won the prestigious SKOCH GOLD awards.
- Instituted in 2003, the Skoch award recognizes efforts in digital, financial, social inclusion, governance, inclusive growth, technology and applications and corporate leadership.
Historian, Padma Vibhushan Awardee Babasaheb Purandare passes away
Noted historian and Padma Vibhushan awardee Balwant Moreshwar Purandare, popularly known as Babasaheb Purandare, died at a Pune hospital after a brief illness. He was 99.
- Known by his moniker ‘Shiv Shahir’ (literally Shivaji’s bard), Purandare was considered one of the pre-eminent authorities on Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.He was awarded with Padma Vibhushan, India’s second-highest civilian award in 2019.
- Raja Shivchhatrapati, Purandare’s popular two-part, 900-page magnum opus on Shivaji Maharaj in Marathi, was first published in the late 1950s and has since been a staple in Marathi households, going through numerous reprints over decades.
World Diabetes Day
World Diabetes Day is celebrated every year on November 14 to mark the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting, who discovered the insulin hormone along with Charles Herbert Best in 1922.
- The theme for World Diabetes Day 2021-23 is “Access to Diabetes Care – If Not Now, When?”, putting across the timely message for diabetes care.