Daily Current Affairs 15 September 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India beats China to become member of UN’s Commission on Status of Women
India has been elected as the member of the Commission on Status of Women (CSW), a body of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
- India will be a member of the prestigious body for four years from 2021 to 2025.
- India, Afghanistan and China had contested the elections to the Commission on Status of Women.
Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray launches ‘My Family, My Responsibility’ campaign to tackle Covid-19
Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray launched a state-wide campaign, ‘My Family, My Responsibility’, to tackle the coronavirus pandemic amid further relaxation of lockdown curbs.
- ‘My Family, My Responsibility’ campaign will aim to achieve effective health care education for the control of Covid-19 outbreak.
- The campaign that begins on September 15 will be conducted in two phases.
Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh lays foundation stone online of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex
The Union Minister of State, Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh along with Youth Affairs & Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju and Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha laid the foundation stone for the construction of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex at Hiranagar, in Kathua district of Jammu & Kashmir through video conferencing.
- Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex will spread over 270 kanals of land and is being undertaken under the Prime Minister’s Development Package (PMDP) at an estimated cost of Rs.58.23 crore.
- The State of Art Sports Complex will be first of its kind sports complex in the Northern Region, having multiple sports facilities of international and national standards in one place.
IIT Roorkee inks MoU with Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology for cooperation in agricultural research and education
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IIT-R) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT), Bhubaneshwar to generate frontier technologies and produce quality manpower in the field of agricultural research and education for addressing the challenges faced by the rural communities and improving their quality of life.
- According to the MoU, both institutions will collaborate in research programmes where IITR and OUAT would work jointly in the field of Agriculture in the field of Genomics, Transgenics and Metabolomics, crop improvement, Information and Communication, application of Sensor in agriculture, information and communication, IT-based societal development and related aspects of Agriculture leading to the creation of rural livelihood opportunities
International Financial Services Centre Authority Inks Mou With India Gold Policy Centre Of IIM Ahmedabad
International Financial Services Centre Authority (IFSCA) and India Gold Policy Centre (IGPC) – IIMA signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) at the IFSCA, GIFT City Gandhinagar, Gujarat for providing consulting to facilitate the establishment of International Bullion Exchange in India.
- Under the memorandum of understanding (MoU), IGPC-IIMA will take a top-down approach by setting the broader vision, developing success strategies and creating the operating guidelines for the seamless functioning of the bullion exchange.
Liberia declares rape a national emergency after spike in cases
Liberian President George Weah has declared rape a national emergency and ordered new measures to tackle the problem after a recent spike of cases in the West African state.
- The move comes after thousands of Liberians protested against rising incidents of rape in the capital Monrovia last month in a bid to draw attention to the country’s alarming rate of sexual assault.
- The government will also establish a so-called “national security task force” on sexual and gender-based violence.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Lombard inks bancassurance tie up with Yes Bank for selling insurance products
Private sector general insurer ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Ltd said it has entered into a bancassurance tie-up with Yes Bank for selling its insurance products.
- The partnership will provide the bank’s diverse customer base access to the insurer’s portfolio and make insurance more accessible to its customers across India.
- Through this tie-up, ICICI Lombard aims to offer innovative insurance solutions to Yes Bank’s customers across 28 states and 8 union territories
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
S&P Projects Indian Economy to Contract 9 Percent
S&P Global Ratings slashed its growth forecast for India to (-) 9 per cent in the current fiscal, from (-) 5 per cent estimated earlier, saying that rising COVID-19 cases would keep private spending and investment lower for longer.
- S&P Global Ratings now expects the country’s economy to contract by 9 percent in the current fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2021.
Lewis Hamilton wins F1 Tuscan Grand Prix 2020
Lewis Hamilton won a hectic Tuscan Grand Prix to clinch his 90th Formula One win at Mugello Circuit, Italy and move one behind Michael Schumacher’s record.
- This was his 6th win of the season and 90th F1 win of his career. Valtteri Bottas came second followed by Alexander Albon at third place.
Harivansh re-elected as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha
NDA candidate Harivansh has been re-elected as the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
- The upper house cleared his name with a voice vote. BJP President JP Nadda had moved the proposal to elect Harivansh as the deputy chairman and his motion was adopted.
- Harivansh defeated joint opposition candidate Manoj Jha of RJD.
Subhash Kamath elected ASCI chairman
Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) has elected Subhash Kamath as its new chairman of the board of governors.
- He will replace Rohit Gupta, president, Sony Pictures Networks.
- He is the chief executive at advertising agency BBH & Publicis Worldwide, India.
IAS Officer Rajesh Khullar appointed Executive Director at World Bank
The appointments committee of the cabinet has approved the appointment of Haryana IAS officer Rajesh Khullar as executive director, World Bank headquarters, in Washington DC.
- A 1988 batch IAS officer, Khullar is currently posted as principal secretary to chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar. He will join the World Bank in first week of November.
- His tenure will be for three years from the date of assumption of charge or till he retires in August 2023.
- Khullar will represent a group of countries including India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka as the World Bank executive director.
IAS Officer Sameer Kumar Khare appointed Executive Director at ADB
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Sameer Kumar Khare (lAS) as new Executive Director of Asian Development Bank (ADB), Manila.
- Khare is a 1989-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Assam cadre. He is currently serving as Additional Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs under Ministry of Finance.
- He has been appointed to the post for a tenure of three years with effect from the date of assumption of the charge of the post or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
Engineers’ Day being celebrated today
The entire nation celebrates Engineers’ Day on September 15 every year to mark the Birth Anniversary of the renowned Indian engineer Bharat Ratna Mokshagundam Viseswaraya.
- Civil Engineer and Statesman, Viseswaraya is popularly known as Sir M.V. He was the Chief Engineer of Krishna Raja Sagara dam in the north west suburb of Mysuru city.
- Mokshagundam played crucial role in important constructions and projects in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, two Telugu states.