Daily Current Affairs 15 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s First Radio Festival Being Held In Delhi
India’s first radio festival is being held in New Delhi to mark World Radio Day. The festival is being organized by International Association of Women in Radio and Television, in collaboration with UNESCO.
- The festival includes live performances, an exhibition, and slotted panel discussions. Apart from touching on the theme for World Radio Day 2018 – radio and sports – the festival is also examining the potential of the medium as a platform for social change, ways to make it more creative and will trace the journey of music on the radio.
Karnataka’s Hampi to be developed as iconic tourism site, announces Centre
The Hampi monuments which are part of Karnataka’s cultural heritage, will be one of the 10 tourist destinations across India to be developed as ‘Iconic Tourism Site’ by the central government.
- In the Union Budget 2018, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had announced that the government proposes to develop ten prominent tourist sites as Iconic Tourism destinations through holistic infrastructure and skill development.
BANKING & FINANCE
India Signs Second Loan Agreement with New Development Bank for USD 100 Million
The Loan Agreement for financing of Rajasthan Water Sector Restructuring Project for the Desert Areas was signed between Government of India and the New Development Bank (NDB). This is the first tranche loan of USD 100 million approved by the NDB.
- The objective of this Project is to rehabilitate the 678 km long Indira Gandhi Canal system built during 1958-63 to prevent seepage, conserve water, and enhance water use efficiency as mandated by both national and state level policies on water use.
Equitas Small Finance Bank launches selfeSavings
Equitas Small Finance Bank, the first private sector bank from Tamil Nadu post-Independence, has launched ‘selfeSavings’, an interactive digital savings account.
- selfeSavings account can be opened with a web-based interactive video form hosted on www.equitasbank.com by using the Aadhaar number, PAN and other basic details, all in under five minutes.
- Customers can set up a mobile banking PIN and start using their account instantly.
Tamil Nadu wins Senior Women’s National Football Championship for first time
Tamil Nadu has won the Senior Women’s National Football Championship for the first time. Tamil Nadu, which was playing its first-ever final, defeated Manipur, 2-1 at the Barabati Stadium in Cuttack.
India retains 102nd spot; Germany tops latest FIFA rankings
The India football team remained stagnant at the 102nd spot in the latest FIFA rankings while 2014 World Cup Champions Germany continued to maintain their top position.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Jacob Zuma resigns as South Africa’s president
South Africa’s embattled President Jacob Zuma has resigned. He announced the decision in a televised address to the nation after the ruling African National Congress (ANC) party threatened to eject him from office via a parliamentary vote of no confidence.
Ethiopian PM Hailemariam Desalegn resigns
Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn has submitted a letter of resignation. He has been in power since 2012.
KP Sharma Oli becomes Nepal’s new prime minister
After Nepal’s Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba resigned from his post, Communist Party of Nepal (UML) Chairman KP Sharma Oli has become new Prime Minister of Nepal for the second time.