Daily Current Affairs 15th June 2017
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank grants USD 150 mn loan for India Infrastructure Fund
China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank has approved USD 150 million equity investment loan to the India Infrastructure Fund, the bank’s first such loan to fund private projects
- This initiative will benefit local infrastructure development by enhancing private capital inflows from global long-term investors, such as public pension funds, endowments and insurance companies.
Current account deficit narrows in 2016-17: RBI
RBI announced that India’s current account deficit (CAD) narrowed during the last fiscal (2016-17) due to a contraction in the country’s trade deficit.
- According to the data, the CAD (Current account deficit) for last fiscal narrowed to 0.7 per cent of the GDP (Gross Domestic Product) from 1.1 per cent in 2015-16.
- India’s trade deficit narrowed to $112.4 billion in 2016-17 from $130.1 billion in 2015-16.
- Net FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) inflows in 2016-17 marginally declined to $35.6 billion from $36 billion reported during 2015-16.
Exim Bank, Korean counterpart sign MoU for $9 bn investments
Exim Bank and its Korean counterpart Export-Import Bank of Korea have signed an agreement to utilise USD 9 billion export credits to support priority sectors investments.
India top remittance-receiving country in 2016: UN report
According to a UN report – Indians working across the globe sent home USD 62.7 billion last year, thus making India the top remittance-receiving country surpassing China.
- The ‘One Family at a Time’ study by the UN International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) said about 200 million migrants globally sent more than $445 million in 2016 as remittances to their families, helping to lift millions out of poverty.
Union Cabinet approves Proposal to introduce the Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill 2017
The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal to introduce a Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill, 2017 which will provide a comprehensive resolution framework for financial sector entities to deal with bankruptcy situation in banks, insurance companies, and other entities.
- The new bill will complement the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 by providing a comprehensive resolution framework for the financial sector.
CRPF launches ‘MADADGAAR’ helpline for Kashmiris
The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has inaugurated a toll free helpline called ‘MADADGAAR’ for the Kashmiris, whereby it shall be able to serve the citizens of the Valley located all over the country.
- MADADGAAR will render assistance in case of public safety, medical emergencies, disruption of civic amenities, natural and manmade calamities, women safety etc.
Telangana launches PashuBazar website for online cattle sale
The Telangana government has launched the website ‘PashuBazar’ to facilitate online sale or purchase of cattle.
- The online platform has been developed to help farmers in selling their animals without physically taking them to weekly markets.
IOC, BPCL, HPCL sign agreement to set up $40 billion refinery
State-owned oil firms IOC, BPCL and HPCL have signed an agreement to jointly set up the world’s largest refinery and petrochemical complex at Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra at a cost of USD 40 billion.
- Indian Oil Corp (IOC) will be the lead partner with 50 per cent stake while Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) and Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL) will take 25 per cent stake each
Neeru Chadha elected as first Indian woman member of International Sea Tribunal
Neeru Chadha has been elected as the first Indian woman member of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS), a top body which adjudicates cases related to the international law of the seas.
- Chadha, the first woman Chief Legal Advisor to the Ministry of External Affairs, becomes the first Indian woman to hold a high-ranking UN position after Vijaya Laxmi Pandit, who became first woman President of the United Nations General Assembly.
World record: Mysuru girl performs 15 yogasanas in one minute
A thirteen year-old girl Kushi H., set a new world record for performing a series of 15 yogasanas in a minute, in the presence of representatives from the Golden Book of Records at a community hall here.
- She bagged this feat by performing the Niraalamba Poorna Chakrasana or the Back Plank Recline Cruncher, which is considered to be a very difficult asana.
Pune girl wins bronze in Archery World Cup
Pune girl Divya Dhayal won the bronze medal at the Archery World Cup, held at Antalya, Turkey.
Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi conferred Bhupen Hazarika Award
The Fifth Bhupen Hazarika National Award, 2017 has been conferred on eminent Assamese writer from Arunachal Pradesh Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi.
Israeli writer wins Man Booker prize
Israeli author David Grossman has won the prestigious 2017 Man Booker International prize in London for his latest novel “A Horse Walks into a Bar”.
- The 2016 Man Booker prize was awarded to South Korean writer Han Kang for her novel “The Vegetarian”, along with her translator Deborah Smith.
India, Australia participating in joint maritime exercise
Navies of India and Australia are participating in bilateral maritime exercise AUSINDEX-17 from June 13 to 17 in Freemantle, Australia with an aim to enhancing interoperability and cooperation between the two forces.
Verizon completes Yahoo acquisition
Telecom giant Verizon has acquired Yahoo’s core business for $4.48bn (£3.51m), thus ending Yahoo’s two-decade long run as an independent company. Verizon is the No.1 wireless operator in the US.
- Verizon will combine Yahoo with AOL which was bought by it two years ago to establish a venture called Oath.
- The remainder of Yahoo which is not acquired by Verizon will change its name to Altaba Inc.
China launches space telescope
China has launched its first space telescope Hard X-ray Modulation Telescope (HXMT) to observe black holes, pulsars and gamma-ray bursts.