Daily Current Affairs 16 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM pushes for digital payment with ‘yes to digital payment, no to cash’ motto
Giving a fresh push to digital transactions in the country, Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave the motto of ‘yes to digital payment, no to cash”. He called for increasing the use of digital payments all over the country.
- He also announced that the government will invest a massive Rs 100 lakh crore on developing modern infrastructure and said that it will aid in nearly doubling the size of the Indian economy to USD 5 trillion in the next five years.
Rotavirus vaccination to be expanded across India by September
The plan to provide the Rotavirus vaccine to prevent diarrhoea will be now be expanded across India by September, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said.
- Rotavirus is a leading cause of diarrhoea in children less than five years of age.
INS Tarkash participates in KONKAN bilateral exercise
The 14th Edition of KONKAN series of annual bilateral exercises between Indian Navy and Royal Navy of Britain is currently underway off the South Coast of UK.
- INS Tarkash, the Indian Navy’s stealth frigate is exercising with the Royal Navy’s Daring Class Destroyer, HMS Defender with integral helicopter Wildcat.
Indian Army wins International Army Scout Masters competition
The Indian Army comprehensively won the 5th International Army Scout Masters competition held at Rajasthan’s Jaisalmer’s Military station from August 6 to August 14.
- A total of eight teams from India, Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Sudan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, and Belarus participated in the competition.
- This was the first time the Indian Army participated in the competition.
India contributes $1 million to UN fund
India has contributed USD one million to the UN Special Purpose Trust Fund for the Resident Coordinator System. The Special Purpose Trust Fund (SPTF) is a specific fund housed within the UN Secretariat established to receive, consolidate, manage and account for all contributions and financial transactions of the new Resident Coordinator system in a transparent and effective way.
Mumbai all set to get first Indian Institute of Skills
Mumbai is all set to get the first Indian Institute of Skills – IIS, the foundation stone of which will be laid next month. Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey today announced that the institute is likely to be operational by next year.
Odisha: Naveen Patnaik announces ‘Mo Sarkar’ initiative for transparency in governance
In a bid to ensure transparency in governance, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced the “Mo Sarkar” initiative during Independence Day celebration in the state.
- Under the new initiative, the chief minister and other ministers will call common citizens to seek their feedback on the kind of response and service they received when they visited the government facilities.
Free ride for women on govt buses from Oct 29 in Delhi: Kejriwal
Women will be able to travel free of charge on Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) and cluster scheme buses starting October 29, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced.
- This facility will be available in both AC and non-AC buses.
BANKING & FINANCE
Aditya Birla Health Insurance and Axis Bank ink bancassurance pact
Aditya Birla Health Insurance (ABHI), a stand-alone health insurer, has entered into a bancassurance partnership with Axis Bank, the country’s third largest private sector bank.
- Through this partnership, ABHI will offer health insurance solutions to the Axis bank’s customers across its 4,094 branches and digital channels.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt-constituted panel suggests making CSR non-compliance civil offence
A government-constituted high level panel on August 13 recommended making expenditure on CSR tax deductible as well as treat non-compliance with CSR requirements a civil offence under the companies law.
- The panel, headed by Corporate Affairs Secretary Injeti Srinivas, has stressed that CSR expenditure should not be treated as a means of resource gap funding for government schemes.
Housing finance companies to be treated as NBFCs; come under RBI oversight
The Reserve Bank said that housing finance companies (HFCs) will be treated as one of the categories of NBFCs for regulatory purposes and it will come under its (RBI’s) direct oversight.
- The Finance (No 2) Act, 2019 (23 of 2019) has amended the National Housing Bank Act, 1987, conferring certain powers for regulation of Housing Finance Companies (HFC) with Reserve Bank of India
Kohli becomes first batsman to score 20,000 international runs in a decade
Indian skipper Virat Kohli added yet another feather in his cap as he became the first batsman to score 20,000 international runs in a single decade.
- Kohli now has 20,502 runs across all three formats of the game. Out of these 20,502, Kohli has scored 20,018 in the ongoing decade.
- Earlier, Australia’s former skipper Ricky Ponting held the record for scoring most international runs in a decade with 18,962 runs to his credit in the 2000s.
KKR appoints Brendom McCullum as head coach
Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) has appointed Brendon McCullum as its new head coach.
- Former New Zealand batsman McCullum was closely associated with the KKR as a player first from 2008 to 2010 and again from 2012-13.
Simone Biles becomes the first woman to successfully land a triple-twisting, double somersault in competition
Simone Biles (American Gymnast) reasserted her position as the world’s number one gymnast following a winning performance at the Simone Biles US Gymnastics Championship in Kansas City.
- Notably, Biles became the first woman after Clara Schroth Lomady, to capture six US senior women’s all-around gymnastics titles.
Liverpool beat Chelsea 5-4 on penalties to win Super Cup
Liverpool won the Super Cup for the fourth time in their history by beating Chelsea 5-4 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in Istanbul.
India Today’s Rajdeep Sardesai bags prestigious Prem Bhatia Award for political reporting
Veteran journalist and consulting editor at India Today TV Rajdeep Sardesai has been awarded the 2019 Prem Bhatia Award for Outstanding Political Reporting.
- The annual award carries a prize of Rs 2 lakh, and was established in the memory of veteran journalist Prem Bhatia, who was well known for his political reporting.
Rohit Shetty felicitated for bringing Bollywood movie shooting to Bulgaria
The Indian Embassy in Bulgaria felicitated filmmaker Rohit Shetty on the Independence Day with a certificate of Appreciation. It is being presented to Shetty for his outstanding contribution in bringing Bollywood movie shooting and production to Bulgaria.
- This comes after his 2015 film ‘Dilwale’ starring Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol together after years, became the reason behind the surge in the number of tourists from India flying to Bulgaria.
Rajasthan bags award at World Education Summit 2019
Rajasthan wins the “best innovation and initiative leadership award” for its achievements in higher education in the World Education Summit-2019 held in New Delhi.
- Also, Bihar School of Examination Board (BSEB) won an award in the category – ‘government’s initiative to promote and develop the technologies’ for promoting technology for conducting an exam.
- O P Jindal University, Raigarh, Chattisgarh won in category ‘Emerging University of India award’.
- Sant Nandlal Vidya Mandir, Jharkhand won in the category ‘Innovative Practices for Academic Excellence award’.
BAFTA LA to honour Steve Coogan with Charlie Chaplin Award
Actor Steve Coogan (English actor, comedian, and producer. ) will be felicitated with the Charlie Chaplin Award by the British Academy’s Los Angeles branch. The Charlie Chaplin Britannia Award for Excellence in Comedy recognises the talents whose popularity and cultural impact exemplifies the uniquely transcendent quality of excellent comedy.
Veteran actress Vidya Sinha passes away
Film and television actress Vidya Sinha, who was known for her roles in films like Pati Patni Aur Woh and Chhoti Si Baat, has passed away at the age of 71. The actress was admitted to hospital after she had complained of breathlessness.
Former batsman VB Chandrasekhar passes away
Former Indian batsman VB Chandrasekhar has passed away following a heart attack. He was 57. Chandrasekhar was an aggressive opening batsman and played a vital role in the Tamil Nadu’s second Ranji Trophy title in 1987-88.
Nepal’s veteran Journalist Madan Mani Dixit passes away
Nepal’s veteran Litterateur and Journalist, Madan Mani Dixit, who once won the prestigious Madan Puraskar Winner of Nepal, has passed away at the age of 96.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs