Daily Current Affairs 16 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi chairs first National Ganga Council meet
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the first meeting of the National Ganga Council (NGC) in New Delhi.
The NGC is aimed at reinforcing the importance of a Ganga-centric approach in all departments of the concerned states as well as relevant Central ministry.
President Kovind hosts conference of 42 Heads of Central Universities, Institutes of Higher Learning
President Ram Nath Kovind hosted a conference of 46 Heads of Central Universities and Institutes of Higher Learning at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- India has set itself for sustainable development as it strives to eliminate poverty and become a middle-income country. Each of these institutes will be instrumental to the realisation of our socio-economic goals.
14th edition of Toshali National Crafts Mela begins in Bhubaneswar
The 14th edition of the ‘Toshali National Crafts’ Mela began in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. The mela was organised by the Handlooms, Textile, and Handicrafts Department, Odisha. About 50 weavers from different states of the country participated in the mela.
India-China ‘Hand-in-Hand’ exercise underway in Shillong
The 8th India-China joint training exercise ‘HAND-IN-HAND 2019’ with the theme counter-terrorism under the United Nations’ mandate is being conducted in Meghalaya.
- The Chinese contingent from the Tibet Military command comprising 130 personnel and the Indian Contingent of similar strength is participating in the 14-day-long training exercise.
Shri R. K. Singh Inaugurated the 29th National Energy Conservation day and Presented the Awards
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), under the guidance of Ministry of Power, Government of India, organised the 29th National Energy Conservation day at VigyanBhawan, New Delhi.
- On the occasion, Star Labelling Programme for Solar Water Heater was launched and a Handbook for Implementation of Provisions of Energy Conservation Act 2001 was released.
- Shri R. K. Singh, Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy and Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship presented awards to 65 industries and institutions from various sectors.
Amazon partners with local Indian stores aiming to transform lives
Amazon India has partnered with local store owners of India for its ‘I Have Space’ (IHS) programme to provide pickup and delivery services to customers.
Seeking to empower people all across the country, the programme handle its logistics solution in India’s small towns as well as metro cities.
Google Earth covers 98 per cent of entire population
Google Earth, the software that lets you browse the globe with 3D representation, right from the comfort of your couch, offers 6 million square miles of high definition satellite images, covering more than 98 per cent of the entire population.
- Google has captured more than 10 million miles of Street View imagery, a distance that could circle the globe more than 400 times.
Sri Lankan govt formally releases its new National policy Framework
Sri Lankan government formally released its new National policy Framework titled ‘Vistas of Prosperity and Splendor’ is aimed at achieving fourfold outcome of being a productive citizen, a contented family, a virtuous, disciplined and just society and a prosperous nation.
- Among the main objectives are maintaining a 6.5 per cent or higher GDP growth rate under the macroeconomic programme, achieving a per capita income exceeding 6,500 US dollar during 2020 to 2025.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
SBI, KfW sign $277 million agreement for energy efficient housing programme in India
State Bank of India (SBI) has signed a loan agreement with KfW, the German development bank, for 277 million dollars (about Rs 1,958 crore) for establishing an energy-efficient housing programme in India.
- The programme will be a part of Indo-German Development Cooperation which is guided by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Mumbai City FC’s U18 side suspended for a year
Indian Super League’s Mumbai City FC’s U18 side was suspended for a year and fined Rs. 10 Lakh by Mumbai District Football Associaton’s (MDFA).
- The Islanders’ youth players and team officials had mistreated and spat on helper Umesh Patel following their defeat against Karnatak SA.
Nagaland Governor RN Ravigiven additional charge of Meghalaya
RN Ravi, Governor of Nagaland, was given additional charge of Meghalaya. He was assigned with the additional responsibility as Meghalaya Governor, Tathagata Roy, is on a leave.
Swaroop Singh Kuntal awarded Chief of Army Staff Commendation Card by Rawat
Lieutenant Colonel Swaroop Singh Kuntal awarded on the spot Chief of Army Staff Commendation Card by Army Chief General Bipin Rawat for winning Ultraman India in 27 hours 46 minutes.
- Kuntal is probably the first army man to do Ultraman. Ultraman consists of 10 km swimming, 424 km cycling and 84 km running, was organised by Delhi International Triathlon from November 23-25 in Delhi- Gurgaon.
Three-time Olympic champion Peter Snell passes away
Three-time Olympic champion and world mile record-holder Peter Snell from New Zealand has passed away in Dallas. He was 80. Snell was the first man since 1920 to win the 800 and 1,500 at the same Olympics. No male athlete has done so since.