Daily Current Affairs 16 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates World Sustainable Development Summit 2018
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the World Sustainable Development Summit 2018 in New Delhi. The three-day event has been that has been organized by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- PM Modi while addressing the gathering at the inaugural speech laid emphasis on the major current environmental problems that are being faced by the developing nations.
India’s Biggest Global Pharma Conference Begins In Bengaluru
India’s biggest Global Conference on Pharma Industry and Medical Devices began in Bengaluru With the theme, ‘Driving NextGen Pharmaceuticals.
India’s defence budget breaks into world’s top 5: UK report
According to the ‘Military Balance 2018’ report by the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), India’s defence budget broke into the world’s top five, beating the UK for the first time.
- The first five spots are taken by US, China, Saudi Arabia, Russia and India in order.
India’s Aadhaar And Umang App Win Award In Dubai
India’s Umang App was named winner of the Best M-Government Service award in the Accessible Government category while Aadhar won the best emerging technology award at the recently concluded World Government Summit 2018 in Dubai, where India had the status of ‘Guest of Honour’ country.
- The Summit acknowledged technology pioneers for providing global solutions to global challenges.
- The mobile application Umang App provides users a unified platform that combines government departments and services, facilitating transactions for citizens.
- The award acknowledged Government of India’s efforts to provide convenient services to its citizens.
Mumbai to have India’s first artificial intelligence centre
In a first in the country, the Maharashtra state government will be setting up an institute for artificial intelligence (AI) in Mumbai. AI institute will give a fresh impetus to the ‘fourth industrial revolution’, and promote Mumbai as an investment destination in innovations and data analysis.
BANKING & FINANCE
NABARD launches Rs 1,918 cr area development plan for Punjab
The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) announced area development plans worth Rs 1,918 crore for Punjab to supplement farmers’ income.
- Under this plan, the activities like dairy, vegetable cultivation, bee keeping, mushroom growing will be promoted in order to provide income to farmers at sustainable basis.
Gopichand launches India’s largest ‘train the trainers’ programme
Former All-England champion and celebrated badminton coach Pullela Gopichand initiated the country’s largest ‘train the trainers’ programme, inducting 1500 Physical Education (PE) teachers from across Gujarat for advanced training.
- As per the plan, Gopichand and his band of experts will initially select close to 150 PE teachers out of 1500 to become master trainers.
Cyril Ramaphosa Sworn In As New President Of South Africa
Cyril Ramaphosa, head of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) has been sworn in as South Africa’s new President. He was elected as the new president of South Africa by the ruling party politicians after the resignation of Jacob Zuma.
Longest-serving Dutch prime minister, Ruud Lubbers passes away
Ruud Lubbers, who as the Netherlands’ longest serving prime minister led his country through economic turmoil to prosperity and helped shape the foundations of the European Union has passed away.