Daily Current Affairs 16 February 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre sanctions over Rs 24 crore for dredging in Gomati river to boost Indo-Bangla waterway project
The Centre has sanctioned over Rs 24 crore for dredging in Gomati, a transboundary river between India and Bangladesh, and setting up 10 jetties for a waterway project. Of the total 93-km proposed waterway from Sonamura in Tripura’s Sepahijala district to Daudkandi in the neighbouring country, around 15.5-km stretch needs dredging to operationalise the route.
India signs MoU to hand over wheat to WFP in Kandahar
India signed an agreement with the United Nation’s World Food Programme (WFP) for the distribution of 50,000 MT of wheat that it has committed to sending Afghanistan as part of a humanitarian assistance, with diplomatic efforts under way to begin sending truck convoys through Pakistan by road, expected to begin after Punjab elections on February 20 are completed.
Indian Railways to set up biggest, world-class Wrestling academy in Delhi
In line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to offer the best sports facilities to sportspersons, the Railway Ministry had committed wrestlers of Indian Railways to provide a world class wrestling academy at the earliest. In a bid to fulfill the commitment to set up a state-of-art wrestling academy in Indian Railways, work has been sanctioned by the ministry to establish the same at Kishanganj, Delhi.
- The wrestling academy will be set up at an estimated cost of Rs 30.76 crores.
- According to the Railway Ministry, this wrestling academy will be the biggest in India, equipped with advanced training facilities. It will provide an opportunity for many budding wrestlers to become champions in the coming time, the ministry stated.
LAHDC, Leh launches new scheme Kunsnyoms for differently-abled persons
Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh has launched a new scheme Kunsnyoms for differently-abled persons in the district. Kunsnyoms, meant Equal for All, Fair for All, aims inclusive and accessible Ladakh.
- Under the new scheme Leh Hill council is providing assistive devices, technologies to needy people at 90 percent subsidy.
Rajasthan tops solar electrification under Saubhagya: Centre
Rajasthan has the maximum households electrified through the solar-based standalone system, while hill states of Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim and the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir had nil beneficiaries under the initiative.
- Under the Saubhagya scheme, as many as 1,23,682 households were electrified through solar-based standalone system in Rajasthan, followed by Chhattisgarh (65,373), Uttar Pradesh (53,234), Assam (50,754), Bihar (39,100), Maharashtra (30,538), Odisha (13,735), Madhya Pradesh (12,651).
NITI Aayog and PhonePe to launch Fintech Open Hackathon
NITI Aayog in association with PhonePe will launch the Fintech Open Hackathon. The Hackathon will provide an opportunity for innovators, digital creators and developers from all over India to think, ideate and code. It aims to showcase path-breaking solutions for the Fintech Ecosystem.
- The last date to register for the event is 23rd February and the deadline to submit the final entries is on 25th February this year. The winners of the Hackathon will be announced on the 28th of this month.
BANKING & FINANCE
Karur Vysya Bank ties with Unanu Technologies for digital freight finance
Karur Vysya Bank has joined hands with Unanu Technologies (UNANU), a major End to End Logistics Software Platform provider, for digital freight finance.
- Karur Vysya Bank has joined hands with the Chennai-based UNANU Technologies for digital freight finance to fund transport contractors. using the end-to-end logistics technology platform.
- UNANU has built the Freight Financing System within their suite of software platforms. The ‘U-Turbo’ platform has visibility right from the time of material pick-up until it reaches the destination.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Dabur becomes first Indian ‘Plastic Waste Neutral’ FMCG Company
India’s largest Science-based Ayurveda major Dabur India Ltd has now become a 100% ‘Plastic Waste Neutral company’ in India, having collected, processed and recycled around 27,000 MT of post-consumer plastic waste from all over India in the 2021-22 financial year.
- With this, Dabur has become the first Indian consumer goods company to achieve this landmark.
Reliance Jio partners with SES to announce satellite-based internet for India
Reliance Jio has partnered with SES, a Luxembourg-based satellite solutions provider to form a new initiative – Jio Space Technology Limited. The joint venture is aimed at delivering the next generation scalable and affordable broadband services in India by making use of satellite technology.
- Jio and SES will own 51 percent and 49 percent each in the equity stake.
Renault India partners CSC e-Governance Services to support PM Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyaan
Automaker Renault India has partnered with CSC e-Governance Services (Common Service Centres) to support the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyaan (PMGDISHA), the country’s flagship programme that aims to provide digital literacy to masses.
- The partnership is aimed at empowering the citizens in rural areas by training them to operate computers or digital devices like laptops, browse the internet, access government websites and banking services and undertake digital payments, Renault India said in a statement.
Vedanta signs pact with Foxconn to manufacture semiconductors in India
Anil Agarwal’s Vedanta has joined hands with electronics manufacturing services giant Foxconn to form a joint venture (JV) for manufacturing semiconductors in India.
- In December last year, the central government approved ₹76000 crore for development of semiconductors and display manufacturing ecosystem in India.
- Now, Vedanta has become the first company to announce investment in semiconductor manufacturing in India.
Leh: Kharu team wins 15th CEC Ice Hockey Championship for women
In Leh, Kharu team won the 15th CEC Ice Hockey Championship for women. In an exciting match in NDS Indoor Ice Hockey rink in Leh, Kharu defeated Lalok women team by 4-1 goals.
CBSE appoints IAS Vineet Joshi as new chairman
IAS Vineet Joshi, Additional Secretary, Department of Higher Education, has been appointed as the new chairman of Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), as per a CBSE circular. Joshi would be replacing IAS Manoj Ahuja.
Justice Gita Mittal appointed chairperson of Administrators to run TTFI
The Delhi High Court has appointed Justice Gita Mittal and former Chief Justice of J&K High Court as chairperson of the Committee of Administrators to conduct the affairs of the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI).
Legendary singer-composer Bappi Lahiri passes away at 69
Veteran singer and music composer Bappi Lahiri passed away on February 15 in Mumbai. His sudden demise has sent shockwaves across the country and left scores of fans in a state of grief. Bappi Lahiri was known for popularising disco music in India in the 80s and 90s.
- Bappi Lahiri, whose real name was Alokesh, was also known for delivering popular songs in several films of the late 1970s-80s like Chalte Chalte, Disco Dancer, and Sharaabi.
- Bappi Lahiri’s last Bollywood song was Bhankas for the 2020 film Baaghi 3.
Legendary Bengali singer Sandhya Mukhopadhyay passes away at 90
Legendary Bengali singer Sandhya Mukhopadhyay passed away in Kolkata after a brief illness. She was 90. Sandhya Mukhopadhyay took Bengali songs to new heights, whether it was playback singing for films or songs released during Durga Puja, which emerged as a new genre and labelled modern Bengali songs (“adhunik gaan”).
Karnataka’s Samanvaya Kavi Nadoja Channaveera Kanavi passes away
Popularly known as Samanvaya Kavi or the poet of reconciliation, Nadoja Channaveera Kanavi passed away. The Central Sahitya Akademi has honoured him with the Akademi award for his collection of poems Jeevadhwani in 1982. He is also honoured with the Karnataka Sahitya Akademi Award, Karnataka Rajyotsava Award, Pampa Award and Nadoja honorary D.Litt by Hampi Kannada University.