Daily Current Affairs 16 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre cuts interest on GPF by 10 bps to 7.9 pc
The interest rate on the general provident fund (GPF) has been cut by 10 basis points (bps) to 7.9 per cent from 8 per cent with effect from July 1.
Haryana cabinet approves setting up of Sports University at Rai
The Haryana cabinet has approved the setting up of Haryana Sports University at Rai. The University will have powers to conduct academic and training programmes in physical education and sports sciences.
Palau becomes 76th country to join International Solar Alliance
Palau, an archipelago of over 500 islands in Oceania, became the 76th signatory country to join the International Solar Alliance.
- The International Solar Alliance is a group of 121 solar resource-rich countries with headquarters in Gurugram, India. The organisation aims to deploy over 1,000 gigawatts of solar energy and mobilise more than USD 1,000 billion into solar power by 2030.
Dubai Tourism exempts visa fees for visitors under 18
In an attempt to ensure more footfalls, Dubai Tourism has announced visa fee exemption for the visitors under 18 while travelling with their parents between July 15 and September 15 this year.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
OYO Hotels & Homes acquires co-working firm Innov8
OYO Hotels & Homes has formally announced its acquisition of co-working venture Innov8. OYO will operate the firm Innov8 as an independent brand, and along side its existing co-working operations.
India will host ISSF World Cup 2020
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) approved India’s application to host the ISSF World Cup stages. The ISSF World Cup will be held in New Delhi from March 15 to 26 next year.
- The last edition of ISSF World Cup was held in Munich, Germany.
Sharath Kamal voted IOC Sportsperson of the Year
Sharath Kamal was voted the Sportsperson of the Year in the annual Indian Oil Sports Conclave.
- Sharath Kamal is a professional table tennis player from Tamil Nadu, India.
Anahat Singh and Neel Joshi wins Dutch Junior Open squash
Two Indian players managed to win titles while another finished as runner-up on the final day of the Dutch Junior Open squash tournament in Amsterdam on Sunday.
- Anahat Singh won the girls’ U13 title after a gritty performance in the final while Neel Joshi captured the boys’ U17 title.
Simona Halep to receive Romania’s highest distinction
Romanian Presidential Administration announced that Wimbledon champion Simona Halep will be given Steaua Romaniei- the highest distinction of Romania.
B B Harichandan, Anusaiya Uikey appointed Governors of AP, Chhattisgarh
BJP veteran and former Odisha minister Biswa Bhusan Harichandan and former BJP MP from Madhya Pradesh Anusuiya Uikey were appointed Governors of Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh respectively.
- Harichandan will replace E S L Narasimhan, who is also Governor of Telangana, while Uikey will replace Madhya Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel, who was holding additional responsibility of Chhattisgarh. Patel was given charge following the death of Governor Balram Das Tandon last year.
Sangeet Natak Akademi awards for 2018 announced
Eminent artists Zakhir Hussain, Sonal Mansingh, Jatin Goswami and K Kalyanasundaram Pillai have been chosen in the Akademi Ratna category by the Sangeet Natak Akademi for the year 2018.
Boxing legend ‘Sweet Pea’ Whitaker passes away
Former oylmpic boxing gold medallist and four weight World champion “Pernell whitaker” (from US) passed away. He won world titles at lightweight, light welterweight, welterweight and light middleweight.