Daily Current Affairs 16 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Manipur CM announces scheme’s to encourage athletes & artists
Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh has announced the biggest ever scheme for the welfare of sportspersons and artists of the State.
- ‘Chief Minister’s Akhannaba Sanaroising gi Tengbang (CMAST)’ and Chief Minister Artist Sing gi Tengbang (CMAT)’ scheme would provide benefits to thousands of sportspersons and artistes of the State who have brought laurels to the State and Country.
- Under the CMAST Scheme, suitable employment in government services is going to be provided to sportspersons, who have won medals in notified disciplines in selected International Sports events. Also, cash awards for Olympic participants are enhanced to 1 crore, 75 lakh, 50 lakh and 10 lakh rupees for various categories.
- In the scheme for artists, CMAT is designed with a view to encouraging the artists in different fields and targeted to cover 4000 artistes in a year. The pension will be extended to around 1000 artistes who are 60 years and above.
Pacific Island Niue Becomes The World’s First Dark Sky Nation
Niue has become the world’s first whole country recognised as a ‘Dark Sky Place’ by the International Dark-Sky Association’s (IDA), which has approved the island’s application for the protection of its sky, land and sea.
- The title recognises an area with exceptional quality of starry nights and a commitment to protecting the noctural environment.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI revises exposure limits for urban cooperative banks to single, group borrowers.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) revised exposure limits for urban cooperative banks (UCBs) to a single borrower and a group of borrowers to 15 percent and 25 percent, respectively, of tier-1 capital.
- Existing norms allowed 15% for single borrowers and 40% to group exposures of a bank’s total capital, including tier I and tier II capital.
- While the revised exposure limits will apply to all fresh loans, the banks will have to bring down their existing exposures down to the revised limits by 31 March 2023
India pledged $10 million toward a Covid-19 emergency fund
India pledged $10 million toward a Covid-19 emergency fund and said it was putting together a rapid response team of doctors and specialists for South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (Saarc) nations as part of an initiative led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- India suggested Integrated Disease Surveillance Portal (IDSP) that is currently being used to detect infected patients and contact tracing.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Microsoft launches website to track COVID-19
While Google is still working on a coronavirus screening and tracking website, Microsoft Bing team has already launched a web portal for tracking COVID-19 infections worldwide.
- The website, accessible at bing.com/covid, provides up-to-date infection statistics for each country.
- The COVID-19 Tracker currently lists 168,835 as total confirmed cases, 84,558 active cases, 77,761 recovered cases and 6,516 deaths.
Achanta Sharath Kamal wins men’s singles title in Oman Open
Ace Indian paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal wins the ITTF Challenger Plus Oman Open. The 37-year-old Indian veteran beat top-seeded Marcos Freitas of Portugal 4-2 in the final played in Muscat
- Earlier, in the semi-final, fourth-seeded Achanta pulled off a stunning seven-set victory against Russia’s Kirill Skachkov
Govt appoints Justice B L Bhat as officiating chairman of NCLAT
The government has appointed Justice Bansi Lal Bhat as the officiating chairperson of the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT).
- Bhat will replace Justice Sudhansu Jyoti Mukhopadhaya who retired recently.
National Vaccination Day
On 16 March every year, National Vaccination Day is observed in India which is also known as National Immunisation Day (IMD)
- On this day, the first dose of Oral Polio Vaccine was given in the year 1995.
- The prime purpose behind the celebration of National Vaccination Day is to make all people aware of arming against polio and eradicating it completely from the world.
World consumer Rights Day
Every year 15th March is celebrated as the World Consumer Rights Day to spread awareness regarding consumer rights.
- The theme of World Consumer Rights Day 2020 is ‘The Sustainable Consumer’.