Daily Current Affairs 16 May 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
FM announces Rs 1.63 lakh cr for agriculture-allied sectors
The government announced a Rs 1.63 lakh crore package for agriculture and allied sectors aimed at strengthening infrastructure, logistics and capacity building at farm gate.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a Rs 1 lakh crore Agri Infrastructure Fund that will finance projects at farm-gate and aggregation point for efficient post-harvest management of crops.
- Besides, schemes for micro food enterprises, cattle vaccination, dairy sector, herbal plantation, beekeeping, and fruits and vegetables were also announced.
- She said the government will provide Rs 1 lakh crore for aggregators, farmers producers organisations (FPOs), primary agri cooperative societies, agri entrepreneurs and startups under the agri infrastructure fund
Jharkhand: Education dept with Doordarshan starts online classes for School children
In Jharkhand, the State Education Department in collaboration with Doordarshan started online classes and educational programs to provide school education to students of the state through video and thematic lectures.
- The special educational lectures designed for students from class 1 to 12 began with special slots allotted for each class.
- The programme is scheduled to air on the regional DD channel and free Dish TV from morning 10 am to afternoon 2 pm for five days a week everyday from Monday to Friday.
Union Minister for Tribal Affairs launches ‘Goal’ programme for Digital Skilling of Tribal Youth
Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda launched the “GOAL (Going Online As Leaders)” programme of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) in partnership with Facebook at a Webinar in New Delhi .
- The GOAL programme is designed to provide mentorship to tribal youth through digital mode. The digitally enabled program envisages to act as a catalyst to explore hidden talents of the tribal youth, which will help in their personal development as well as contribute to all-round upliftment of their society
Delhi Police gets India’s first ‘Thermal Corona Combat Headgear’ to enhance social distancin
Delhi Police has inducted in service India’s first thermal detection headgear that will enhance the social distancing while still enabling the policemen to perform their duties.
- Indian Robo Store group in partnership with the Delhi Police has invented this headgear that has been given the name — Thermal Corona Combat Gear (TCCH).
- The wearer of the headgear will be able to scan the elevated body temperature-EBT. It will help in thermally scanning individuals from a safe distance of 10m to 15m.
Slovenia becomes 1st European country to become coronavirus-free
Slovenia is the first country in Europe to declare an end to its coronavirus outbreak, its government declared, after a dramatic slowdown in new cases.
- According to data from Slovenia’s Ministry of Health, just one new case of the coronavirus was confirmed on Thursday, with no deaths reported. Over the past two weeks, just 35 people had been infected with the coronavirus.
BANKING & FINANCE
Nabard sanctions Rs 1,500 cr for Punjab to ensure credit flow to farmers
The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned Rs 1,500 crore for Punjab to ensure continuous credit flow to farmers, through state cooperative banks, amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This is part of Nabard’s Rs 25,000 crore nationwide special liquidity facility (SLF), which has been made available to state cooperative banks, regional rural banks, and microfinance institutions (MFIs), to ensure flow of credit to farmers for agricultural operations during COVID-19 pandemic,
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Foreign exchange reserves surge by $4.2 bn to $485.31 bn, says RBI
The country’s foreign exchange reserves surged by $4.235 billion to $485.313 billion in the week to May 8 on account of rise in the foreign currency assets, according to the Reserve Bank of India.
- In the previous week, the reserves had increased by $1.622 billion to $481.078 billion.
- The gold reserves rose by $13 million to $32.291 billion in the reporting week
Global economy could witness losses up to $8.8 trillion: ADB
The global economy is expected to suffer $5.8-8.8 trillion in losses due to the coronavirus pandemic, said by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in a new report subsequent to its economic outlook released in early April.
- Of this, the impact on South Asian gross domestic product (GDP) will be to the tune of $142-218 billion.
- The GDP in South Asia will also be lower by 3.9-6%, mainly reflecting the tight restrictions in place in countries like Bangladesh, India and Pakistan, ADB said in its updated assessment of the Potential Economic Impact of COVID-19
Rajesh Goel appointed as director general of NAREDCO
Realtors body National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO) has appointed Rajesh Goel as director general (DG) of the association.
- Earlier, Goel was serving as the chairman and managing director, Hindustan Prefab Ltd, NAREDCO.
GAIL chief Manoj Jain now takes over as chairman of Mahanagar Gas
Manoj Jain, chairman and managing director of national gas major GAIL, has been appointed as chairman of the city gas distributor Mahanagar Gas Ltd as well.
- As the CMD of GAIL, he is also the chairman of its subsidiaries such as GAIL Global USA Inc, GAIL Global USA LNG, GAIL Gas, Brahmaputra Cracker & Polymer and Konkan LNG.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Facebook acquires animated graphics startup Giphy
Facebook had acquired the animated graphics startup GIPHY and would integrate the company in its Instagram visual social network.
- Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the news site Axios said the California-based tech giant was paying $400 million.
- GIPHY is known for its use of stickers and other products using the graphics interchange format or GIFs
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Defence Minister commissions ICGS “Sachet” & two interceptor boats
Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh commissioned the Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Sachet and two interceptor boats (IBs) C-450 and C-451 in Goa via video conference.
- This is the first time in the Indian maritime history that the coast guard ship was commissioned through the digital medium
- The ICGS Sachet is the first in the series of five offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) and has been designed & built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL). It is fitted with state-of-the-art navigation and communication equipment