Daily Current Affairs 16 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
‘Saubhagya’ Web-Portal – a Platform for Monitoring Universal Household Electrification launched
Power and New & Renewable Energy Ministry, launched the Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana – ‘Saubhagya’ Web Portal.
- The Saubhagya Dashboard is a platform for monitoring household electrification progress, which would disseminate information on Household Electrification Status (State, District, village-wise), Household Progress on live basis, State-wise Target vs Achievement, Monthly Electrification Progress, etc.
Bio-toilets to be installed in all trains by 2018-end
The target of 100 per cent completion of installing bio-toilets in the Indian Raiways coaches has been advanced to December 2018. Earlier, the target to install bio-toilets in all its coaches as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission was by September 2019.
India to Host Global Conference on Cyber Space 2017
India, for the first time ever, is going to host the Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCCS), one of the world’s largest conferences in the field of Cyber Space and related issues, on 23 & 24 November 2017, at Aerocity, New Delhi.
- Themed on Cyber4All: A Secure and Inclusive Cyberspace for Sustainable Development, this is the fifth edition of GCCS wherein international leaders, policymakers, industry experts, think tanks and cyber experts will gather to deliberate on issues and challenges for optimally using cyber space.
12th North East Business Summit inaugurated in New Delhi
Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region Jitendra Singh inaugurated the 12th North-East Business Summit in New Delhi. The two-day summits aims to explore the scope for business opportunities in the North-Eastern region of the country.
Founding Ceremony of International Solar Alliance Held in Germany
A Curtain Raiser Event for the Founding Ceremony of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) was held in Bonn, Germany.
- Shri Anand Kumar, Secretary, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy was present at the event from the Indian side.
- The ISA was jointly launched on 30 November 2015 by Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, and then-President of France, H.E. Francois Hollande, on the sidelines of the UNFCCC Conference of Parties 21 (CoP21) at Paris, France.
Syria Signs up Paris Agreement on Climate Change
According to the UN report, Syria has officially signed up to the Paris Agreement, leaving only the United States as the only country to reject the global climate-rescue pact.
- Syria became the 169th of 196 countries that are members of the UN climate convention to take the legal step of ratification. After Nicaragua signed up in October 2017, Syria and USA were the only countries not to have adopted the pact.
UN Peacekeeping Defence Ministerial Conference 2017 Held in Canada
Canada hosted the 2017 UN Peacekeeping Defence Ministerial Conference in Vancouver, Canada. This conference is the largest gathering of Defence ministers dedicated to UN Peacekeeping.
BANKING & FINANCE
Paytm, ICICI Bank collaborate to offer short term instant digital credit
Digital payments major Paytm has announced its tie-up with ICICI Bank to jointly launch ‘Paytm-ICICI Bank Postpaid’, the most seamless way to access interest-free short-term digital credit.
- Paytm-ICICI Bank Postpaid is a digital credit account with instant activation: with no hassles of documentation or branch visit, while activation is fully online. There is no transaction, joining or hidden administration fees.
Earth-sized planet that could host alien life found
Astronomers have discovered an Earth-sized planet outside our solar system which is expected to be temperate and could be a “comfortable abode for possible life”.
- This Earth-sized world, named Ross 128 b, is likely to have a surface temperature that may also be close to that of the Earth.
The ‘space nation’ Asgardia just launched its first satellite
The Space Kingdom of Asgardia has launched its first satellite. This so-called ‘virtual nation’ is the pet project of Russian scientist and billionaire Igor Ashurbeyli. Last year, he proposed a new nation which would be based in space in order to be outside of the control of nations on Earth.
- The Asgardia-1 satellite, which is about the size of a loaf of bread, launched on 12 November and contains half a terabyte of data. It holds the foundations of the project – the nation’s constitution, its national symbols, and data from its 115,000 citizens. It was launched from NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia aboard a Cygnus spacecraft on an Orbital ATK Antares rocket.
Shagun Chowdhary crowned National Women’s Trap champion
The first Indian woman trap shooter to win an Olympic berth, Shagun Chowdhary bagged a national champion crown at the 61st National Shooting Championship in New Delhi.
Aditi Ashok becomes first Indian to qualify for LPGA Tour Championships
Indian Golfer Aditi Ashok has qualified for the season-ending CME Group Tour Championship on the LPGA, becoming the first from the country to play in the prestigious meet.
RBI Governor Urjit appointed to Financial Stability Institute Advisory Board
RBI Governor Urjit Patel has been appointed to the Financial Stability Institute Advisory Board or the Bank of International Settlement (BIS). Bank for International Settlements is an international financial organisation owned by 60 member central banks across the world.
- The Financial Stability Institute (FSI) of the BIS assists financial sector authorities worldwide in strengthening their financial systems.
Mukesh Ambani family tops Forbes list of Asia’s richest families
India’s Ambani family has topped the Forbes list of Asia’s 50 Richest Families for the first time, with a net worth of $44.8 billion. The family’s net worth rose by $19 billion, making it the biggest gainer in dollar and percentage terms. South Korea’s Lee family, which controls Samsung, has been ranked second with a fortune of $40.8 billion.
IFFI 2017: Amitabh Bachchan to be honoured with Personality of the Year Award
Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan will be honoured with personality of the year award at the upcoming International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa
Rashtriya Bal Kalyan Award presented to Super-30 founder
President Ram Nath Kovind awarded this year’s “Rashtriya Bal Kalyan Award” to Super 30 founder Anand Kumar for his contributions in the field of teaching and education.
- Mr. Kumar’s Super 30 coaching institute has been providing free education, accommodation and food to students coming from the underprivileged section of society to crack the prestigious IIT entrance examination.