Daily Current Affairs 16 October 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India Needs 5630 GW Installed Solar Capacity to Become Net-zero Nation by 2070: Report
India should increase its solar power capacity to 5630 gigawatt in order to become a net-zero emissions nation by 2070, according to a study. At present, India has 100 GW of installed renewable energy capacity, of which solar comprises 40 GW, the study released by the Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW) said.
- The government has set an ambitious target to scale up its total renewable energy capacity to 450 GW by 2030.
- India’s total installed solar power capacity would need to increase to 5630 GW if it were to commit to achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emission by 2070,” the study titled ’Implications of a Net-zero Target for India’s Sectoral Energy Transitions and Climate Policy’ said.
‘Mukta’ scheme in Maharashtra soon to release women prisoners unable to pay bail amount
The Maharashtra government will soon launch a scheme to release women prisoners who have been in jail for years and have not been able to pay their bail amounts and fulfill other legal requirements.
- The ‘Mukta’ scheme would bring relief to the women prisoners who have been languishing in jails for minor crimes, and would also reduce the burden on prisons.
- The ‘Mukta’ scheme will be implemented in various jails of the state to find out women who have been unnecessarily harassed and those who can be released by fulfilling the legal requirements.
Delhi Govt Launches ‘Anganwadi on Wheels’ Aimed at Fulfilling Nutritional, Health Needs of Children
The Delhi government launched its ‘Anganwadi on Wheels’ initiative aimed at fulfilling the nutritional and health needs of children.
- The initiative will reach those children who were not able to reach anganwadis due to any reason and will provide them nutritious food as well as fulfil their educational and health-related needs.
- Under the initiative, the aim of the Delhi Government is to reach even those children who are unable to reach the anganwadi due to any reason. “Children up to 0-6 years of age will be able to access early childhood care and education by trained anganwadi workers through these buses.
Varanasi to become first city in India to use ropeway services for public transportation
Varanasi, the PM Modi’s parliamentary constituency, will soon become the first Indian city to use ropeway services in public transportation. The world’s third and India’s first public transport ropeway is proposed to be constructed from Cantt Railway Station (Varanasi Junction) to Church Square (Godauliya) to ease the traffic congestion.
- Soon, with the start of this ropeway project worth Rs 424 crore, Kashi Vishwanath Temple and Dashashwamedh Ghat will be easily accessible.
- Covering an aerial distance of 4.2 km, the ropeway is expected to save time and money for the tourists who have to face traffic jams en route to one of the oldest cities in the world, also known as the Gateway of Eastern India.
PM Modi dedicates seven new defence PSUs to the nation
Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation seven new defence public sector undertakings (DPSUs), created by incorporating the dissolved erstwhile Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
- The OFB was dissolved on October 1, following a decision of the Union cabinet in June. It was the country’s primary producer of weapons and military equipment.
Seven new companies
- Munitions India Limited, Armoured Vehicles Nigam Limited, Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited, Troop Comforts Limited, Yantra India Limited, India Optel Limited, Gliders India Limited
- 70,000 OFB employees to be transferred to the corporate entities on deemed deputation for 2 years
Yudh Abhyas 21: India-US joint military training exercise commences at Alaska
The 17th edition of the Indo-US joint training exercise “Ex Yudh Abhyas 21” commenced at Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson in Alaska.
- The 14-day training schedule includes activities on joint training in a counter-insurgency/counter-terrorism environment under a United Nations mandate.
- Over 300 US Army soldiers belonging to First Squadron (Airborne) of the 40th cavalry regiment and 350 soldiers of the 7 Madras infantry battalion group of the Indian Army are participating in the exercise.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Reliance tops Indian firms in Forbes world’s top 100 best employers list
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) is among the top four Indian companies to work for, according to World’s Best Employers rankings 2021 published by Forbes. Mukesh Ambani-owned RIL was placed at the 52nd position in the overall ranking of 750 global corporates.
- Other Indian companies that made it to the top 100 rankings include ICICI Bank at 65, HDFC Bank at 77 and HCL Technologies at 90. Apart from that, State Bank of India (SBI) was ranked at 119, Larsen & Toubro at 127, Infosys 588, Tata Group at 746 and Life Insurance Corp (LIC) was placed at 504. Other Indian firms on the list include Bajaj at 215, Axis Bank at 254, Indian Bank at 314, Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) at 404, Amara Raja Group at 405, Kotak Mahindra Bank at 418 and Bank of India at 451. ITC was placed at 453, while Cipla was on 460 and Bank of Baroda at 496.
- The top place in the Forbes rankings was occupied by South Korean giant Samsung Electronics, followed by US giants IBM, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Alphabet and Dell Technologies. China-based Huawei was the 8th in order of the best employer in the world.
BPCL launches automated fuelling technology “UFill” for customers
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) – a PSU under the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has announced the launch of “UFill” – a digital customer experience which delivers on BPCL’s promise of ensuring that their customers have complete control over Time, Technology and Transparency as part of their fuelling experience.
- With UFill, the invitation to customers is to “Fast forward your fill”, leveraging the latest in digital technology which obviates the need for looking at zero or final reading and such offline manual interventions.
- The UFill proposition has been launched in 65 cities across India and will soon be launched across the country.
India beat Nepal 3-0 to clinch SAFF Championship title for 8th time
India clinched the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship for eighth time defeating Nepal 3-0 in Male.
- India dominated possession in the first-half but they failed to score any goal. However, captain Chhetri put India ahead minutes into the second half and even before Nepal could settle down, Suresh made it 2-0.
T20 World Cup 2021: ICC Joins Hands With UNICEF to Raise Awareness on Mental Health of Children
The ICC has partnered with UNICEF to amplify awareness around mental health and well-being of children and adolescents throughout the men’s T20 World Cup.
- The partnership will amplify UNICEF’s global campaign #OnYourMind which calls for commitment, communication and action to promote good mental health for every child.
Gulabo Sitabo and Sultan Actor Farrukh Jafar passes away
Veteran actor Farrukh Jafar, known for her performance in films “Gulabo Sitabo” and “Sultan”, died at a hospital. She was 89.
- Jaffer, who was one of the first radio announcers of Vividh Bharti Lucknow in 1963, began her on screen journey with the 1981 classic “Umrao Jaan”, in which she played Rekha’s mother.
- She later appeared in some TV shows but found further acclaim with the 2004 Shah Rukh Khan-starrer “Swades”.
Former India U19 Captain and Saurashtra Player Avi Barot passes away
Former India U-19 captain Avi Barot has died after suffering a cardiac arrest, the Saurashtra Cricket Association (SCA).He was 29.
- The player, who also represented Haryana and Gujarat in his career, died
- Barot was a part of the Ranji Trophy winning Saurashtra team, which had defeated Bengal in the summit clash in the 2019-20 season
World Food Day
World Food Day is celebrated all over the world on October 16.
- It is an initiative by the Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations. This global event marks a day calling for worldwide awareness and collective action to combat the issue of hunger and ensure healthy diets for all.
- The theme this year is “Our actions are our future. Better production, better nutrition, better environment and a better life”.
International E-Waste Day
The International E-Waste Day (IEWD) is celebrated on 14 October every year since 2018, to promote the correct disposal of e-waste throughout the world with the aim to increase re-use, recovery and recycling rates.
- The theme for 2021 IEWD is “Consumer is the key to Circular Economy!”.