Daily Current Affairs 16 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India to deploy latest American weapon systems for Ex-HimVijay along China border
Indian Armed Forces are planning to deploy their latest American weapons systems including M777 ultra-light howitzers and Chinook heavy-lift helicopters in the war games to be carried out in Arunachal Pradesh, close to borders with China.
- Codenamed HimVijay, this exercise planned by India in the northeast will mainly test the war fighting abilities of the newly-raised 17 Mountain Strike Corps in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The exercise will also involve the Indian Air Force (IAF) which would provide the aerial elements for the real war-type drills.
Infosys co-founder Kris Gopalakrishnan to head govt’s data panel
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology constituted a committee under the chairmanship of Infosys co-founder Kris Gopalakrishnan (pictured) to study issues related to non-personal data and suggest how the government should look at regulating it.
- “There is a growing trend towards platformisation of the digital economy, and in such a platform economy, data could play a critical role as a community or public resource,” the ministry said.
BNS Somudra Avijan arrives in Visakhapatnam
Bangladesh Naval Ship (BNS) Somudra Avijan arrived at Visakhapatnam on a four-day visit to the Eastern Naval Command (ENC).
- During its stay at Visakhapatnam, a series of activities are scheduled between the two navies which include professional interactions, cross visits, sporting events and social interactions between the Indian Navy and Bangladesh Navy personnel.
UNWTO 2019 General Assembly held in St.Petersburg, Russia
Tourism ministers, public and private sector leaders and key decision makers joined in St Petersburg, Russia to meet for the 23rd Session of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
- The UNWTO General Assembly is the largest event in the global tourism industry. It brings together delegates from more than 150 countries, is held under the auspices of the UN, and aims to solve global problems facing the tourism industry.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI increases banks’ loan exposure limit to single NBFC
The RBI increased loan exposure limit of banks to a single NBFC (excluding gold loan companies) from 15% to 20% of its capital base, a move that will help increase credit supply to the crisis-ridden shadow banking sector.
- According to the extant ‘Large Exposures Framework (LEF)’, banks’ exposure to a single non-banking financial company (NBFC) is restricted to 15% of their available eligible capital base, while general single counter-party exposure limit is 20%, which can be extended to 25% by banks’ boards under exceptional circumstances.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
₹20,000 crore last mile affordable housing package to benefit 3.5 lakh house owners
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Saturday announced a last mile ₹20,000 crore affordable housing package to benefit around 3.5 lakh home owners.
- India’s plan to set up a special financing window to help revive stalled housing projects. The union government will contribute around ₹10,000 crore to this fund on the lines of National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF), while the other investors such as the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), private capital, sovereign wealth funds and development finance institution (DFI) among others will contribute the balance ₹10,000 crore.
- This window will provide the much needed last mile funding for housing projects which are non-NPA and non-NCLT projects.
NPCI reduces merchant discount rate on RuPay debit cards
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) said it has rationalized merchant discount rate (MDR) for RuPay debit card transactions, effective October 20, 2019.
- The rationalisation has be done across point of sale (PoS), eCom and BharatQR code based merchant transactions.
- It said MDR has been revised to 0.60% for transaction above ₹2,000 with a maximum cap of ₹150 per transaction.
- Presently, this is capped at 0.90% for transaction above ₹2,000 with higher cap of ₹1,000 per transaction.
India beat Bangladesh by five runs, clinch U-19 Asia Cup title
India clinched the Under-19 Asia Cup title, with a thrilling five-run win over Bangladesh in a low-scoring final at Colombo.
Pankaj Advani wins 22nd world billiards title
India’s billiards superstar Pankaj Advani clinched his 22nd world title for the country by winning a fourth straight final in the 150-up format at the IBSF World Billiards Championship in Mandalay, Myanmar.
Sourabh Verma lifts Vietnam Open, defeats Fei Xiang Sun
Indian shuttler Sourabh Verma defeated Chinese Fei Xiang Sun 21-12, 17-21, 21-14 to lift the Vietnam Open title.
Justice P Lakshman Reddy sworn in as first Lokayukta of Andhra Pradesh
Justice P Lakshman Reddy was sworn in as the first Lokayukta of the Andhra Pradesh state. Justice Reddy will be holding the position for the next five years.
- He is the first Lokayukta to be assuming charge since the state bifurcated in 2014.
International Day of Democracy
The annual ‘International Day of Democracy’ is being celebrated on September 15. It is built on inclusion, equal treatment and participation, and it is a fundamental building block for peace, sustainable development and human rights
- The theme for International Day of Democracy 2019 is “Participation”.
September 15 is celebrated as Engineers Day in India. The day is celebrated by the Engineering Community all over India as a tribute to India’s greatest engineer Bharat Ratna Visvesvaraya, who was born on September 15, 1860.
- This year the theme of Engineers day is “Engineering Challenges for Knowledge Era”.