Daily Current Affairs 16th June 2017
States shortlisted by NITI for transformative change in Health and Education
NITI Aayog has initiated a unique and novel initiative to catalyse transformational change in key Social Sectors. Under SATH (Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital), NITI Aayog and its knowledge partners will provide strategic, technical and implementation support to three states for each sector.
- In Health sector, five States have been shortlisted as run up to the final selection of three. These are, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Assam, Karnataka and Gujarat.
- Similarly in Education, the shortlisted States are Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Andhra Pradesh.
Health Ministry launches Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight (IDCF)
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched the Intensified Diarrhea Control Fortnight (IDCF) in order to intensify efforts to reduce child deaths due to diarrhoea.
- Through this initiative, the Ministry will mobilize health personnel, State Governments and other stakeholders to prioritize investment in control of diarrhea, one of the most common childhood illnesses.
DCB bank launches Aadhaar based iris eye scan customer verification service
DCB Bank has launched new services – India’s first Aadhaar based iris eye scan customer verification and fingerprint operated ATM in Telangana.
- These services utilise a customer’s Aadhaar number, eye scan and fingerprint impression. The DCB ATM also can be used with the usual ATM/ Debit Card.
Now, Aadhaar must for opening bank account, transaction of Rs 50,000 or above
The government has made quoting of biometric identity number Aadhaar mandatory for opening bank accounts as well as for any financial transaction of Rs 50,000 and above.
- Existing bank account holders have been asked to furnish their Aadhaar number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) by December 31, 2017, failing which, the account will cease to be operational.
- The amendment makes it mandatory for individuals, companies, and partnership firms to quote Aadhaar along with PAN or Form 60 for all financial transactions of Rs 50,000 or above with effect from June 1.
CAD expected to be around 1.4% of GDP in 2017: Nomura
India’s current account deficit is expected to be around 1.4 per cent of GDP in 2017 compared to 0.6 per cent in 2016, owing to stronger domestic growth, according to a report by Nomura, Japanese financial services major.
Varsity in TN to offer free education to transgenders
The Tamil Nadu Government has announced free education for the transgender community in all the colleges of state’s Manonmaniam Sundaranar University.
- One seat in every course of all the colleges affiliated to the university has been reserved for the transgenders.
- Manonmaniam Sundaranar University is the first in India to offer free education to the transgenders.
Haryana’s open defecation-free village to be named after Donald Trump
Sulabh International founder and chief Bindeshwar Pathak has announced that an open defecation-free (ODF) village in Mewat will be named after the US President Donald Trump
- Sulabh believes the move will help draw the attention of the world towards India’s cleanliness campaign.
Lok Sabha Speaker inaugurates 16th NERCPA Conference at Imphal
Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurated the 16th North East Region Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (NERCPA) Conference at Imphal, Manipur.
TCS executive Ramanathan Ramanan to head Atal Mission under NITI Aayog
The government has appointed senior vice president at Tata Consultancy Services, Ramanathan Ramanan to head Atal Innovation Mission, its initiative to promote entrepreneurship in the country, in perhaps the first initiative to bring in best of private minds to drive innovation in governance.
Sreedharan selected for Nanniyode Rajan award
Delhi Metro Railway Corporation (DMRC) Principal Adviser E. Sreedharan has been selected for the year’s Nanniyode Rajan Memorial Award, instituted by the Milma Thiruvananthapuram Regional Cooperative Milk Producers’ Union (TRCMPU).
India is the top global exporter of information, computer, telecom: Report
The World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) has ranked India as the top global exporter of information, computer and telecommunications (ICT) services.
- The WIPO’s Global Innovation Index (GII) for 2017 ranked India 60 for innovation, up from 66 last year.
- The GII, which covers 130 countries, gave the overall top spot to Switzerland, followed by Sweden, Netherlands and the US.
India 75th in environmental impact survey, only 15.2% energy green: Report
Mozambique, the southern African country rated as one of the poorest, has topped a survey of nations with the lowest global environmental impact while India has ranked a dismal 75th in the report.
- India has been placed 75th, with renewable energy making up only 15.2 per cent of all energy used; only 2.2 per cent of waste water being recycled, and municipal waste of 0.34 kg per person being generated daily.
- Africa as a continent topped the charts and featured strongly in its use of green energy, low CO2 emissions and low levels of air pollution and waste production.
Solar, not coal, is India’s future by 2030: Report
According to a new report “New Energy Outlook-2017” by Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF), India will add more than 40 gigawatt (Gw) of coal-based power over the next five years amid stagnant growth in the sector.
- It further said that, however, from 2030, solar would begin to sideline coal in India, with the pace of photovoltaic (PV) additions more than doubling from the 2020s to the 2030s.
India re-elected to UN Economic, Social Council
The General Assembly (UNGA) has re-elected India to another three-year term on the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). India will again serve the 36-member UN body that guides sustainable development policies and coordinates the activities of several UN units
- India will retake its seat in January when its current term ends.
AIIB’s second annual meeting begins in S.Korea
The second annual meeting of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has started in South Korea.
- The attendees included over 20 Finance Ministers of the 77 approved AIIB members such as Australia, China, Georgia, India, Indonesia and Laos.
- Also AIIB has approved the membership of Argentina, Madagascar and Tonga at its second annual meeting of Governors.
UNGA approves creation of new office on counter-terrorism
The UN General Assembly has approved the establishment of a new office to coordinate counter-terrorism efforts, a move welcomed by India as a “much awaited first step” that will align the world body with needs of the global community in the fight against the menace.
Serbia gets its first female – and gay – prime minister
Ana Brnabić, a gay woman has been appointed as the first female Prime Minister of Serbia.
Pioneer of PIL, CJI Bhagwati passed away
Former Chief Justice of India P.N. Bhagwati, who introduced public interest litigation (PIL) to the Indian judicial system, has passed away.
Eminent Punjabi playwright Ajmer Singh Aulakh passed away.
International Day of Family Remittances: 16 June
The International Day of Family Remittances (IDFR) is observed annually on 16 June to encourage the public and private sectors, as well as the civil society, to do more and collaborate to maximize the impact of the financial contribution in the developing world.