Daily Current Affairs 17 August 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi Announces One Sun, One World, One Grid (OSOWOG)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced about the mega plan of “One Sun, One World, One Grid” (OSOWOG) or a trans-national electricity grid supplying solar power across the globe.
The idea was first floated by Modi in 2018 during the first assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- As per the draft plan prepared by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), the OSOWOG will connect 140 countries through a common grid that will be used to transfer solar power.
- “The vision behind the OSOWOG mantra is “the Sun never sets” and is a constant at some geographical location, globally, at any given point of time.”
National Digital Health Mission rolled out on pilot mode in 6 UTs
The National Digital Health Mission (NDHM), unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on a pilot mode in six Union territories. Under NDHM every Indian will get a health ID that will ease access to medical services in the country.
- The National Health Authority (NHA), which is also the apex agency responsible for the implementation of Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana has been given the mandate by the government to design, build, roll-out and implement the NDHM in the country.
- The six Union Territories where the mission has been rolled out through a pilot launch are Chandigarh, Ladakh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu, Puducherry, Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep.
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment launches ‘Nasha-Mukt Bharat’ campaign in J&K
In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Directorate of Social Welfare launched ‘Nasha-Mukt Bharat’- Drug free India campaign of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India with an aim to curb the menace of Drug Addiction in the society.
- The campaign is being run in 272 most vulnerable districts of India and 10 districts of J&K including Poonch, Rajouri, Kishtwar, Doda, Anantnag, Pulwama, Kulgam, Shopian, Badgam and Bandipora has been identified by Narcotics Control Bureau of India as most vulnerable in terms of substance/drug abuse.
Govt forms 5 members panel to probe into Kozhikode plane crash
Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau has ordered probe into the Air India Express aircraft crash at Kozhikode airport. The Investigation of the aircraft crash will be done by a five member team headed by Captain S S Chahar.
- The team will investigate and determine the probable causes and contributory factors leading to the accident.
- It will also make recommendations to avoid such recurrences in the future. Investigator in-charge Captain S S Chahar will submit his report within 5 months.
Defence Minister launches BDL’s indigenised Konkurs missile test equipment
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has launched Konkurs Missile Test Equipment and Konkurs Launcher Test Equipment, which have been indigenously designed and developed by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
- The two products have been launched as part of the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ week being celebrated during August 7-14, 2020.
- The Konkurs Missile Test Equipment is designed for checking the serviceability of Konkurs-M anti-tank guided missiles. Konkurs Launcher Test Equipment is designed and developed for checking the serviceability of Konkurs-M missile launchers.
AYUSH Ministry launches 3-month campaign for Immunity
AYUSH Ministry has launched a three-month campaign on Ayush for Immunity through a webinar. More than 50,000 people participated in the Webinar.
- Speaking on the occasion, Secretary in the Ministry of AYUSH Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha elaborated on the theme of the event, accessible and affordable health for all, through Ayush solutions.
Punjab gets 1st rank in Health, Welfare Centre Operationalisation
The Punjab Government announced that the state achieved first rank in operationalisation of Health and Welfare Centres (HWCs) as per the latest rankings released by the Centre.
- The despite restrictions on the movement of people due to COVID-19-induced lockdown, HWCs across Punjab recorded 28.1 lakh footfalls in the last five months.
- Punjab would soon become the leading State in the Health sector as the state government has taken the pro-people initiative to further strengthen the health infrastructure.
CM Pema Khandu launches Arunachal Pradesh Challenge Entrepreneurship Programme on Independence Day
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu, launched the Arunachal Pradesh Challenge Entrepreneurship Programme on the occasion of the 74th Independence Day.
- The aim of “Challenge Entrepreneurship Programme” to boost entrepreneurship among the people and to set up more industrial units in the state
- The State government’s scheme – Chief Minister Comprehensive Roads Plan 2019 to 2024 will strengthen the road infrastructure in the State.
Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio launches ‘Yellow Chain’ e-commerce platform on Independence day
On the occasion of 74th Independence Day, Neiphiu Rio, Chief Minister of Nagaland launched the Yellow Chain, a single window e-commerce platform developed to promote local business and entrepreneurship in the State.
Odisha emerges as no. 1 investment destination in the country
Odisha has emerged as the number one investment destination in the country, during the last 6 months the State has received an investment proposal worth Rs 12,000 crore said by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
- He also said, the agricultural growth rate in the State has clocked 7.61 per cent which is far ahead of the national average of 2.80 per cent.
Meghalaya CM launches ‘Restart Meghalaya Mission’ to revive State’s economy
On the occasion of the 74th Independence Day, Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma said that a “Task Force” on the economy has been formed to suggest reforms for rejuvenating the economy in the short, medium and long-term.
- Based on the recommendations, the state government will launch the “Restart Meghalaya Mission”.
- Over Rs14,515 crores would be spent for implementation of the mission during the next three years.
- This mission comprises a series of programs to support our farmers, and entrepreneurs and to build growth promoting basic infrastructure and services.
EU launches 1-mn-euro project in Maharashtra, Odisha for skilling women in housing sector
In a major push towards women empowerment, the European Union has launched ‘Nirmanshree,’ a project worth one-million euro to skill women in the housing sector.
- The project will be implemented in four districts of Odisha and Maharashtra and will benefit 3000 women.
- As a part of the project Nirmanshree, the women will be trained in different work in the housing sector like masonry, plumbing and electrical fitting, among others
BANKING & FINANCE
Digital Apnayen: PNB launches campaign to encourage digital banking
State-owned Punjab National Bank launched a campaign to encourage customers to use digital banking channels.
- Under the campaign ‘DIGITAL APNAYEN’, the bank will contribute Rs 5 towards the PM CARES Fund on behalf of each customer conducting the first financial transaction to activate their RuPay Debit card either on point of sale (PoS) or e-commerce platform.
- The campaign on the occasion of Independence Day is till March 31, 2021.
Standard Chartered bank partners Airtel Africa for financial services in Africa
Standard Chartered Bank has partnered Airtel Africa to drive financial inclusion across key markets in Africa by providing customers with increased access to mobile financial services.
- The duo will work together to co-create new, innovative products aimed at enhancing the accessibility of financial services and, ultimately, better serve people across Africa.
- In line with this, Airtel Money’s customers will be able to make real-time online deposits and withdrawals from Standard Chartered bank accounts, receive international money transfers directly to their wallets and access savings products amongst other services.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
RBI tightens norms for core investment companies
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) tightened the norms for core investment companies (CICs), based on the recommendations received from the working group which was formed to review the framework.
- The new guidelines were based on the recommendations of the Working Group to Review Regulatory and Supervisory Framework for CICs, headed by Tapan Ray, former secretary of the corporate affairs ministry. The report was published by RBI on 6 November 2019.
- According to the revised guidelines, the GRMC will have to analyze material risks to which the group, its businesses and subsidiaries are exposed. CICs with assets of over Rs 5,000 crore will have to appoint a chief risk officer (CRO).
- While computing Adjusted Net Worth (ANW), the amount representing any direct or indirect capital contribution made by one CIC in another CIC, which exceeds 10% of owned funds of the investing CIC, shall be deducted.
- CIC in the group, or the CIC with the largest asset size, will have to form a group risk management committee (GRMC), comprising of at least five members, with two independent directors.
Lewis Hamilton wins 5th F1 Spanish Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton clinched an 88th career victory during the F1 Grand Prix of Spain at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya to move within three of Michael Schumacher’s Formula One record.
- In terms of podium finishes, Hamilton (156) is now one ahead of Schumacher (155).
England’s Laura Marsh announces retirement from all forms of cricket
England off-spinner Laura Marsh has announced her retirement from all forms of cricket. Marsh had decided to retire from international cricket last December.
- Marsh had made her debut in 2006 in Tests as a fast bowler but switched to spin bowling later in her career. She was part of the England squad that won the Women’s World Cup in 2009 and in 2017. She was also part of the T20 World Cup title-winning side in 2009.
- The 33-year-old played nine Tests, 103 ODIs and 67 T20Is for England, picking up 217 wickets across formats.
Sebi appoints G P Garg as Executive Director
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) said it has appointed G P Garg as executive director (ED). Prior to his promotion as ED, Garg was Chief General Manager in Sebi and has handled several assignments since joining in January 1994.
‘A Bend in Time’: Pandemic through the eyes of children authored by Bijal Vachharajani
The book, titled “A Bend in Time: Writings by Children on the Covid-19 pandemic”,written by award-winning children’s author Bijal Vachharajani.
- The book is a collection of 12 engrossing stories and essays by children and young adults from across the country.
Former India cricketer Chetan Chauhan passes away
Former cricketer and UP cabinet minister Chetan Chauhan passed away at the Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon after succumbing to complications brought on by Covid-19. He was 73.
- The two-time former BJP Lok Sabha MP from Amroha was Home Guard minister in the Uttar Pradesh cabinet.
- In an India career from 1969 to 1981, Chauhan played 40 Tests and seven ODIs. He scored 2,084 Test runs with 16 half-centuries, but never scored a century, with a best of 97. The prolific domestic batsman in a two-decade first-class career played Ranji Trophy for Maharashtra and then Delhi.
Renowned Carnatic musician & Veena artist Dr B Siva Kumar passes away
Noted Carnatic musician and renowned veena vidwan Dr B Siva Kumar, senior veena artist of AIR Tiruchirapalli passed away in Trichy. He was 53.
- He has won several awards including the Tamil Iyal Isai Nataka sangam award and the award for Ragam Tanam Pallavi presentation from the Tamil Isai Sangam.
UPCA president Yadupati Singhania passes away
Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA) president Yadupati Singhania died in Singapore. He was 67.
- Singhania was battling a prolonged illness for which he was undergoing treatment at a hospital in Singapore.