Daily Current Affairs 17 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Haryana CM Khattar inaugurates ‘TRAKEA’ Bar-coding system of FSL
Manohar Lal Khattar, Chief Minister (CM) of Haryana inaugurated the TRAKEA barcoding system of Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) at Madhuban, Haryana.
- Haryana became the first state in the country to introduce this unique barcoding system.
Fifth EAC meeting of 15th Finance Commission held in New Delhi
The fifth meeting of the Economic Advisory Council (EAC) of the Fifteenth Finance Commission was held in New Delhi
- In the meeting, possible macro assumptions related to real growth, inflation, ongoing structural reforms, tax revenue including GST, adherence to Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act and fiscal transparency were discussed.
India slips to 112th place on WEF’s Global Gender Gap Report
India has slipped four places on the World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap index 2020 to 112, due to rising disparity in terms of women’s health and participation in the economy. Moreover, India is now ranked in the bottom-five in terms of women’s health and survival and economic participation.
- Iceland remained the world’s most gender-neutral country, while Yemen was ranked the worst at 153th place. Iraq and Pakistan remained in bottom three of the ladder.
UNESCO removes ‘racist’ Belgian carnival from heritage list
A Belgian carnival has been removed from UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list after officials found the “recurrence of racist and anti-Semitic representations” to be incompatible with its principles.
- The carnival of Aalst, in the Dutch-speaking region of Flanders, was initially added to Unesco’s list of the intangible cultural heritage of humanity in 2010.
EU leaves Poland out of 2050 climate deal after standoff
The European Union left Poland out of a 2050 climate neutrality agreement after hours of summit haggling with three poorer eastern member states that demanded more funds for economic transition and support for nuclear power.
- The Czech Republic and Hungary eventually dropped their resistance after winning a guarantee that nuclear energy would be recognized as a way for EU states to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. But Poland remained against.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ICAR and NABARD signs MoU to facilitate the action research and up-scaling of the various technologies and innovative farmer models
With a view to promote sustainable agriculture and climate resilient farming systems the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Board of Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) to facilitate the action research and up-scaling of the various technologies and innovative farmer models developed by the ICAR.
Ben Stokes wins BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2019
England cricketer Ben Stokes has been voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2019. The England batsman became the first cricketer to win the prize since Andrew Flintoff in 2005 after a summer of batting heroics during both the World Cup and the Ashes.
Pakistan opener Abid Ali 1st man to hit hundreds on Test and ODI debuts
Pakistan opener Abid Ali has become the only male player in cricket history to score a hundred on both his ODI and Test debuts when he reached three figures on the final day of the Rawalpindi Test against Sri Lanka.
- Former England women’s player Enid Bakewell who played 12 Tests between 1968 and 1979 was the first cricketer (male/female) to start both their ODI and Test careers with a century.
Lt Gen Manoj Mukund Naravane to be next Army Chief
Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Naravane, a soldier who has experience on all operational fronts- both land borders as well as counter insurgency operations, will be the next Chief of the Indian Army.
- Naravane will be replacing General Bipin Rawat, who retires on December 31.
- Naravane, who takes over thereafter, will serve until April 2022. He is currently serving as the army’s Vice Chief.
IAS Ravi Mittal takes charge as new I&B Secy
AIRIAS officer Ravi Mittal took charge as the new Secretary, Information and Broadcasting Ministry. Mr Mittal took charge from Amit Khare who has been appointed as Secretary, Department of Higher Education.
- Before this, Mr Mittal, was working as the Special Secretary in the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance.
Indian peacekeepers in South Sudan receive prestigious UN medal
About 850 Indian peacekeepers serving in South Sudan have been awarded the prestigious UN medal for their service and contribution to building peace in the strife-torn nation and supporting the local communities.
India is among the largest troop contributing countries to UN peacekeeping operations. Currently, 2,342 Indian troops and 25 police personnel are deployed with the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).
UT of J&K selected for national award by Union Rural Development Ministry
Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir has been selected for national award by Union Rural Development Ministry for best performance in the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY). The award distribution ceremony will be held at Pusa, New Delhi.
Veteran Bollywood actress Gita Siddharth passes away
Actress Gita Siddharth Kak passed away in Mumbai. The actress is best known for her role in M.S. Sathyu’s 1973 classic ‘Garm Hava’.
- While Sathyu’s effort won a National Award as Best Feature Film on National Integration, she received a souvenir at the ceremony for her role of Amina in the film.
The Godfather 2 actor Danny Aiello passes away
Oscar nominated American actor Danny Aiello has passed away at the age of 86. Aiello made his film debut in 1973’s Bang the Drum Slowly, starring Robert De Niro. The following year he appeared in The Godfather Part II, which went on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture
Chelsea Lately’ star Chuy Bravo passes away
Chuy Bravo, who served as a sidekick to comedian Chelsea Handler on her show, has passed away. He was 63. The Mexican, who had dwarfism, was best known for working with Handler on her show “Chelsea Lately” during the period of 2007-2014.
- He also appeared in films such as 2003’s “Tiptoes”, alongside Matthew McConaughey, “The Honeymooners” and Johnny Depp’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”.