Daily Current Affairs 17 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Health Ministry launches “Jan Jagrukta Abhiyaan” in Delhi
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a Jan Jagrukta Abhiyaan in Delhi to accelerate measures for prevention and control of Vector Borne Diseases like Malaria, Dengue and Chikungunya.
- It will start from 17th to 19th July, 2019 in Delhi through active involvement of people’s representatives, officers from Government of India, Government of NCT Delhi, etc.
Deepika Kumari clinches silver at 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games test event
India’s top-ranked woman archer Deepika Kumari has clinched silver at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games test event.
Narender Gahlot becomes India’s second youngest goalscorer
The 18-year-old Narender Gahlot became the second youngest player to score an international goal for the Indian football team.
- Mizoram’s Jerry Zirsanga holds the record for being the youngest player to register a goal for the Blue Tigers.
Christine Lagarde resigns as managing director of IMF
International Monetary Fund, IMF managing director Christine Lagarde has resigned ahead of a decision on her nomination to become head of the European Central Bank, ECB.
Ursula von der Leyen elected as first female European Commission president
German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen has been elected as the European Commission’s first female president. The 60-year-old German Minister called for a united and strong Europe, after being elected.
Justice AK Sikri appointed as judge in SICC
Former Supreme Court judge, Justice AK Sikri, has been appointed as an international judge of the Singapore International Commercial court (SICC).
- The SICC is a division of the Singapore high court and part of the Supreme Court of that country, designed to deal with transnational commercial disputes
Rohan Bopanna and Smriti Mandhana got Arjuna Award
Sports and Youth Affairs Minister conferred Arjuna Awards to tennis player Rohan Bopanna and Women cricketer Smriti Mandhana.
- Bopanna who won the Gold medal in tennis men’s double category in Asian Games 2018 and Mandhana was the ICC women’s player of the year 2018.
1971 war hero Lt Gen Gharaya passes away
Retired Lt Gen Joginder Singh Gharaya, who was awarded the Maha Vir Chakra in the 1971 Indo-Pak war and Kirti Chakra in the 1947 Hyderabad operations, passed away.
Computer password inventor dies aged 93
Computer pioneer Fernando Corbato, who first used passwords to protect user accounts, has died aged 93.
- Dr Corbato introduced the basic security measure while developing methods that let more people use a computer at the same time.