Daily Current Affairs 17 June 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
500 years old Temple found submerged in Mahanadi River of Odisha
A temple believed to be 500 years old has been found in the Mahanadi River in Odisha.
- The temple was submerged during floods in 1933, say researchers. With the river changing its course due to flooding over a hundred years ago, an entire village and the temple were submerged at Nayagarh.
- An archaeology survey team of the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) said that they discovered the temple recently after its tip partly surfaced.
Khelo India State Centres of Excellence to be set up across country
The sports ministry is all set to establish Khelo India State Centres of Excellence under the Khelo India Scheme.
- One such centre will be identified in each State and Union Territory with an aim to create a robust sporting ecosystem in the entire country.
- In the first leg, the Ministry has identified state-owned sports facilities in eight states including Karnataka, Odisha, Kerala, Telengana, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland which will be upgraded into Khelo India State Centre of Excellence.
UP becomes top state in country to provide employment to workers under MGNREGA
Uttar Pradesh has become the top state in the country to provide employment to the workers under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme MGNREGA.
- According to the data released by officials, 57 lakh 12975 workers got employment in around 57 thousand village panchayats of the state which is 18% of the total work generated under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) in the country.
- The state has generated 7.93 crore man-days and the government will provide jobs to 10 lakh more workers in the coming days.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Ergo launches country’s first drone cover
In an industry-first initiative, the third largest private sector general insurer HDFC Ergo tied up with tech firm Tropogo to offer commercial drone owners and operators third-party liability cover for property damages and physical injuries from the flying machines.
- This policy will be offered on-demand to customers on a ‘pay as you fly’ concept.
- Third-party insurance liability claim is mandatory for drone operations in the country.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s foreign exchange reserves cross $500 bn for the first time
India’s forex reserves recently crossed the $500-billion mark for the first time in history due to higher foreign direct investment, foreign institutional investment.
- Low oil prices also helped reduce outflows. Mint explains this development and the importance of forex reserves.
- In the case of India, our forex reserves include dollars, gold, and the International Monetary Fund’s quota for Special Drawing Rights. Most of the reserves are usually held in US dollars given the currency’s importance in the international trading and financial system.
India 9th largest recipient of foreign investment in 2019: UN report
The UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) said in a report, India received $51 billion in foreign investment in 2019 and was the world’s 9th largest recipient of foreign direct investments (FDI) in 2019.
- The World Investment Report 2020 by the UNCTAD said India’s large market will continue to attract market-seeking investments to the country.
- In the developing Asia region, India was among the top five host economies for FDI.
- The report said, FDI to India, the largest South Asian recipient, increased 20 per cent to 51 billion US dollar, sustaining the country’s upward FDI trend.
Actor Pankaj Tripathi became the brand ambassador of Bihar Khadi
Bollywood actor and Gopalganj resident of Bihar Pankaj Tripathi has been made the brand ambassador of Khadi in Bihar.
- He will promote Bihar Khadi and the country’s largest Khadi Mall in Patna
Devendra Kumar Singh appointed as the new Director of SIDBI
The Ministry of Finance notified the appointment of Devendra Kumar Singh, Additional Secretary & Development Commissioner, Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, as Central Government nominee Director on the Board of Directors of Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
- He will be succeeding Ram Mohan Mishra, with immediate effect and until further orders.
Kyrgyzstan’s Prime Minister Mukhammedkalyi Abylgaziyev resigns
Kyrgyz Prime Minister Mukhammedkalyi Abylgaziev has resigned, citing an ongoing criminal investigation into the assignment of national radio frequencies.
- He was appointed as prime minister by President Sooronbai Jeenbekov in April 2018.
India’s first solar ferry sails into global contest
India’s first solar-powered ferry, Aditya has been shortlisted for the Gustave Trouvé Award as the only entrant from Asia.
- Aditya has been an icon on the Vaikom-Thavanakadavu route in Kerala.
- It is a 75-seater boat fitted with 78 rooftop solar panels, with a maximum speed of 7.5 knots without any noise and minimal vibrations.
- The per km energy cost of Aditya is low. It operates 22 trips a day carrying 75 passengers per trip covering a total distance of 66 km with just ₹180 per day energy cost.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
WB Govt. launches Karmo Bhumi portal to help IT professionals
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee launched Karmo Bhumi portal to help IT professionals, who returned to Bengal after losing jobs in the wake of COVID-19 outbreak.
- A web portal named Karmo Bhumi has been launched that will act as a medium between the professionals and IT companies in Bengal.
- A web portal will act as a medium between the professionals and IT companies in Bengal. There are around 700 IT and ITeS companies at Salt Lake Sector V and Rajarhat where at present around 2.5 lakh people work.
India gets its First Ever Infectious Disease Diagnostic Lab
India’s first infectious disease diagnostic lab is now ready. This rapid response mobile labrotary is part of government Aatmnirbhar Bharat.
- This labrotary was built in a record time of eight days from the date of receipt of Automotive Chassis, from Bharat Benz.
- It is built with the support of Department of Bio-Technology. The lab is a BSL-2 facility with on site Elisa, real-time reverse tranion polymerase chain reaction (rRT-PCR) test and Bio chemistry analysers.
- This lab can test Elisa about 200 per day and RTPCR about 50 per day.
Veteran lyricist Padmaja Radhakrishnan passes away
Lyricist and songwriter Padmaja Radhakrishnan has passed away. She was 68 years old. She is the wife of music director MG Radhakrishnan.
- Padmaja had penned lyrics for popular Malayalam film, Mr Bean, which released in 2013. The film featured Pritam Kagne and Bijukuttan in the lead roles. She used to assist her husband in hiswork and had also written lyrics for some of his compositions.
- She is also a well-known artiste and had organised many art exhibitions in her hometown.
Freedom fighter & veteran journalist Dinu Randive passes away
Veteran journalists and freedom fighter Dinu Randive passed away in Mumbai. He was 95.
- Ranadive started his career as the founder-editor of Samyukta Maharashtra Patrika in the 1950s, which had a lasting impact on the movement for the unification of Maharashtra as a State based on language. He then did exemplary reporting on the Goa Freedom Struggle in 1961.
- Early this year, he was conferred with the lifetime achievement award by the Mantralaya and Vidhimandal Vartahar Sangh.
Maha Vir Chakra Awardee Lt Gen Raj Mohan Vohra passes away
Lt Gen (retd) Raj Mohan Vohra, who was a 1971 war hero and a Maha Vir Chakra awardee, has died due to COVID-19. He was 88.
- Then a Lieutenant Colonel, Vohra commanded the elite Hodson’s Horse in the Shakargarh Sector during the Indo-Pak War of 1971 and was awarded the MVC for his conspicuous bravery and leadership.
- During the Battle of Basantar, the regiment came under heavy fire from the enemy and faced huge resistance, but 27 enemy tanks were destroyed under his able command.
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought
The World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is a United Nations observance each June 17.
- Its purpose is to raise awareness of the presence of desertification and drought, highlighting methods of preventing desertification and recovering from drought.
- This year the theme for World Day to Combat Desertification And Drought is “Food. Feed. Fibre“.