Daily Current Affairs 17 June 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
NITI Aayog, United Nations join hands to accelerate sustainable development in India
Indian government’s policy think-tank NITI Aayog and the United Nations in India have come together to accelerate sustainable development work in the country.
- To take the initiative to its logical conclusion, they have signed an agreement, titled “Government of India-United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (GoI-UNSDCF) 2023-2027.”
Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society renamed as Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library Society
Following the renaming of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library as the ‘Prime Ministers’ Museum and Library’, BJP Rajya Sabha MP Vinay Sahasrabudhe – a member of the NMML Society – defended the move, saying that the renaming is an “expression of national gratitude” towards all former prime ministers.
- Teen Murti Bhavan served as the official residence of India’s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
- In a special meeting of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society (NMML), it was resolved to change its name, the Culture Ministry s. aid The meeting was presided over by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, who is the vice president of the Society.
Prime Minister Modi Pens Song With Grammy Winner Falu
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has collaborated with Falu, an Indian-American singer, who is also a Grammy Award winner for a special song to promote the benefits of millet and its potential to alleviate world hunger.
- Mumbai-born singer-songwriter Falguni Shah known more by her stage name Falu and her husband and singer Gaurav Shah will be releasing the “Abundance of Millets” song.
- The song, written in English and Hindi, will be made accessible to everybody and highlights the power of millets.
Centre Introduces ‘Y-Break – Yoga at Office Chair’ for Employee Stress Relief
The central government has instructed its employees to incorporate a brief ‘Y-Break – Yoga at Office Chair’ to relax, rejuvenate, and enhance concentration.
- As reported by PTI, the personnel ministry has directed all central government ministries and departments to embrace and encourage this innovative Yoga practice for employees in the workplace.
- “Y-Break at workplace was introduced by the Ministry of AYUSH with an aim to get de-stressed, refreshed and re-focused at the workplace.
UNGA adopts draft resolution introduced by India
The UNGA (United Nations General Assembly) has adopted by consensus a draft resolution piloted by India to establish a memorial wall in the UN headquarters to honour fallen peacekeepers.
- It welcomed the initiative of member states to “establish at a suitable and prominent place at United Nations Headquarters in New York a memorial wall to honour the memory of fallen peacekeepers, giving due consideration to the modalities involved, including the recording of the names of those who have made the supreme sacrifice.
BANKING & FINANCE
Indian Overseas Bank allows customers to use any name as account number
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB), a public sector lender based in Chennai, has launched a groundbreaking scheme called ‘My Account My Name,’ which enables customers to select any name as their savings account number.
- IOB said the scheme is the first in the banking industry to let a customer choose his or her name or any name as an account number that can be used for all transaction purposes.The scheme will be available at all 49 regional offices of the IOB in India.
- As per the scheme, the account name can be a combination of seven letters, or seven numbers, or seven alphanumeric only like AJIT007, PRADHAN, or 2424707 etc. Customers will not be required to remember their 15 digits account numbers. To begin with, the scheme is available for IOB SB HNI and IOB SB SALARY account customers.
SBI presents record-breaking dividend cheque of Rs 5,740 Crore to Finance Minister
State Bank of India (SBI) paid a dividend of Rs 5,740 crore for the financial year 2022-23 to Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The dividend cheque was presented by SBI chairman Dinesh Kumar Khara in the presence of Financial Services Secretary Vivek Joshi.
- SBI had declared a dividend of Rs 11.30 per equity share (1,130 per cent) for the financial year ended March 31, 2023.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s overall exports in May 2023 stands at US$ 60.29 Billion
India’s overall exports (Merchandise and Services combined) in May 2023 is estimated to be USD 60.29 Billion, exhibiting a negative growth of (-) 5.99 per cent over May 2022. Overall imports in May 2023* is estimated to be USD 70.64 Billion, exhibiting a negative growth of (-) 7.45 per cent over May 2022.
- During the month, electronic goods export witnessed a significant increase of 73.96 % and cumulatively in April-May 2023 of 48.06% over corresponding period last year. Similarly, agricultural exports also registered a robust growth. Spices grew by 31.81% in April-May 2023 over April-May 2022, while rice exports grew by 19% in April-May 2023 over April-May 2022.
- During this period oil meals exports grew by 74.33% in April-May 2023 over April-May 2022 and ceramic products and glassware showed an impressive growth with 17.36% in May 2023 and cumulatively by 17.29 % in April-May 2023 over the corresponding period last year.
Telangana’s 5 structures chosen for the Green Apple Awards
Five buildings and structures from Telangana have been selected for the ‘International Green Apple Awards for Beautiful Buildings’ under the Urban and Real Estate Sector category, from a London-based independent non-profit organisation – ‘The Green Organisation’.
- These buildings and constructions include Mozzam-Jahi Market in the Heritage category, for its excellent restoration and re-use, Durgam Cheruvu Cable Bridge in the bridge category for its unique design, B R Ambedkar Telangana State Secretariat Building, in the aesthetically designed office and workspace building category, Integrated Command Control Centre of Telangana Police in the unique office category and Yadadri Temple, abode of Lord Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy – in the excellent religious structures category.
- An official release stated that it is for the first time that any building and structure from the country is being awarded the prestigious Green Apple awards, and Telangana gets the honour of receiving all five awards.
Ramachandra Guha’s book wins Elizabeth Longford Prize
Historian and writer Ramchandra Guha’s book Rebels Against the Raj: Western Fighters for India’s Freedom has won the Elizabeth Longford Prize for Historical Biography 2023.
- Guha has been awarded £5,000 (₹5 lakhs approximately) and a bound copy of Elizabeth Longford’s memoir. The jury was chaired by Roy Foster.
- The award is given every year to commemorate British historian Elizabeth Longford. It is rewarded to those who did exemplary work in historical biography.