Daily Current Affairs 14 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Kerala launches ‘break the chain’ mass campaign to combat coronavirus
In a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19 virus across the state, the Kerala government has launched a mass hand washing campaign named ‘break the chain’.
- The campaign aims to educate people about the importance of public and personal hygiene.Under this campaign, the Pinarayi Vijayan-led government has installed water taps at public spots such as at the entry and exit gates of the railway stations with hand wash bottles.
CRPF inks MoU to re-skill specially-abled troops in cyberspace ops, AI
The CRPF inked a deal with a disability support NGO in order to train its troops, who lost their limbs in operations, in various skills including cyber operations, artificial intelligence and para-sports.
- The MoU is aimed to create new opportunities for such personnel who remain an integral part of the force.
BANKING & FINANCE
Philippines becomes 1st nation to shut financial markets over COVID-19 fears
The Philippines halted stock, bond and currency trading until further notice, becoming the first country to shut financial markets in response to the widening coronavirus pandemic.The closures take effect on March 17, 2020, according to statements from the Philippine Stock Exchange and the Bankers Association of the Philippines
- Philippine equities have tumbled more than 30 percent this year, among the biggest declines in Asia, as stocks around the world plunged on fears of a global recession
PNB Housing Finance Limited awarded ISO 27001:2013 standards
PNB Housing Finance Limited, one of the leading housing finance companies has been awarded for registration of ISO 27001
- The ISO certification is the international standard that provides the specification for an Information Security Management System (ISMS).The standard adopts a process-based approach for establishing, implementing, operating, monitoring, maintaining and improving the Information Security Management System.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Moody’s cuts India’s GDP growth to 5.3% for 2020 over Covid-19 outbreak
Moody’s Investors Service lowered India’s GDP growth forecast for 2020 calendar year to 5.3 per cent from 5.4 per cent, on coronavirus implications on the economy.
- This too was a downgrade from 6.6 per cent earlier forecast.
- Moody’s forecast a 5.8 per cent growth rate for India in 2021.
Flipkart partners with Aegon to sell quick-access life insurance policies
E-commerce marketplace Flipkart and Aegon Life Insurance joined hands to sell comprehensive insurance solutions for customers looking for instant digital policies with a sum assured of up to Rs 10 lakh.
- With this product, Flipkart and Aegon Life aim to solve for these issues and make life insurance available to customers at the click of a button in a convenient and transparent manner.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
’Ropax’ ferry service launched between Mumbai and Mandwa
A roll on-roll off cum passenger ferry service, also called ‘Ropax’, between Mumbai and Mandwa near Alibaug, was launched in the presence of Union Minister of State for Shipping Mansukh Mandaviya and Maharashtra port and maritime board officials.
- The vessel, built in Greece, can carry 200 cars and 1,000 passengers, and is capable of plying even during monsoon.
- It can reach speeds of 14 knots and will complete the 18-kilometre sea journey between 45 minutes and an hour
Ravinder Singh Dhillon appointed PFC CMD
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has cleared the appointment of Ravinder Singh Dhillon as Chairman and Managing Director of Power Finance Corporation (PFC) with effect from the date of assumption of charge of the post on or after June 1 till the date of his superannuation on May 31, 2023, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
ECI appoints Hirdesh Kumar new Chief Electoral Officer of Jammu and Kashmir
The Election Commission of India appointed Hirdesh Kumar as the new Chief Electoral Officer of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- He will replace Shailendra Kumar with effect from the date he assumes charge.
2 get Chameli Devi Jain Award for outstanding woman journalist
Arfa Khanum Sherwani of The Wire and Bengaluru-based freelancer Rohini Mohan have been jointly given this year’s Chameli Devi Jain Award for outstanding woman journalist.
- Rukmini S, an independent data-journalist from Chennai, received honourable mention.
- The annual award which recognises social concern, dedication, courage and compassion received over 40 entries from all over India representing the print, broadcast and online media.
Awards for reporting on road safety given to 2 journalists
Prachi Salve of IndiaSpend and Pradeep Dwivedi of Dainik Jagran have been jointly awarded the top prize for their contribution towards reporting on road safety by the Centre for Media Studies (CMS).
- CMS, a not-for-profit research think tank, supported by the World Health Organization (WHO) India, conducted a three-month fellowship programme for journalists to work on road safety and related issues in 2019.
Noted poet and Malayalam scholar Puthussery Ramachandran passes away
Noted poet, litterateur and linguist Puthussery Ramachandran passed away. He was 91.
- Puthussery was among the forerunners who revolutionalised Malayalam literature during the Indian freedom struggle. He also played an instrumental role in helping Malayalam secure the status of a Classical Language.
- A recipient of several prestigious literary awards such as Ezhuthachan award, Ulloor award and Kumaranasan award, Puthussery was also an active member of the Communist party..
Journalist, former RS member Patil Puttappa passes away
Veteran journalist and former Rajya Sabha member Patil Puttappa breathed his last at the Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) hospital in Hubli. He was 99.
- Puttappa was a Rajya Sabha member from 1962 to 1974.He was a popular writer, journalist and a hardcore Kannada activist
- Well known as ‘Papu’, he is the founder-editor of weekly Prapancha and also edited Navayuga. He also wrote columns in various dailies
Spanish football coach Francisco Garcia passes away aged 21
Spanish football coach Francisco Garcia has passed away aged 21 after contracting coronavirus.
- Garcia was serving as the manager of Atletico Portada Alta’s youth team since 2016
Marathi actor Jairam Kulkarni no more
Noted Marathi actor Jairam Kulkarni died in Pune morning due to old-age related ailments. He was 88.
- Kulkarni had acted in more than 150 films, including “Chal Re Laxya Mumbaila”, “Ashi Hi Banwabanwi”, “Thartharat”, “Rangat Sangat” to name a few.
- His last movie “Khel Aayushyacha” was released recently.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Filmmaker Saurabh Thakur launches debut novel ‘Aham’
Filmmaker Saurabh Thakur launched his debut novel ‘Aham’, a bold step for the fantasy fiction genre in India. The book has been published by Locksley Hall Publishing.
- Aham is the story of creation set in a world where demons, spirits, and humans inhabit different realms, and the world of humans is protected by a race of warriors called Rekhyts.