Daily Current Affairs 17 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Bihar govt to set up “State Ayush Society”
The Bihar government gave its nod for setting up a “State Ayush Society” to give a boost to alternative medicine in the state. The Society will be set up as part of the Centre’s “National Ayush Mission” and registered under the Society Registration Act.
Andhra Pradesh hosted first ever hot-air balloon festival
The Araku valley near Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh hosted the first edition of its Hot Air Balloon Festival. The Hot Air Balloon festival is being organsied to promote tourism. Known for its coffee plantations, rich cultural heritage and stunning waterfalls, Araku valley is a known destination on the country’s tourist map.
Maharashtra bans Plastic Bottles at Government Offices, Hotels
The Maharashtra government, in a bid to become plastic-free state from March 2018, has banned packaged water bottles in Mantralaya and other government offices. The regulation will soon be imposed on restaurants.
Maha govt sets up committee to curb custodial deaths
The Maharashtra government has set up a seven-member committee headed by Additional Chief Secretary (Home) Sudhir Shrivastava to recommend ways to stop the custodial deaths.
- The formation of the panel comes in the wake of the the custodial death of Aniket Kothale in Sangli city earlier this month.
MP made partner of Nagaland and Manipur under Ek Bharat-Shreshtha Bharat Yojana
‘Ek Bharat-Shreshtha Bharat’ Yojana has been started with an objective to strengthen cultural relations of various parts of the country and to embolden the mutual connection between the people dwelling in different States. An announcement was made by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi regarding this scheme on Ekta Diwas on the occasion of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel’s anniversary on October 31, 2015.
- Under the scheme, Madhya Pradesh has been made partner of Manipur and Nagaland. The Higher Education Department of Madhya Pradesh has been made nodal department to implement the scheme.
Seminar on cyber security held in New Delhi
A seminar on cyber security in the context of Indian Navy was held in New Delhi. The seminar provided a platform for interaction and sharing of knowledge and experience in Cyber security among the experts in the field.
Nagaland becomes first NE state to launch POS for paying electricity bills
Nagaland scripted history when it became the first State in the Northeast to launch Point of Sale (POS) facility for electricity bill payment, where the mode of payment will be cashless.
- The POS facility would now enable the consumers to pay their electricity bills as cashless transactions has been made available to them.
NEA, CTGC sign Joint Venture Pact to construct West Seti Hydropower Project
Nepal Electricity Authority, NEA has signed a joint venture agreement with a Chinese company to construct 750 MW West Seti hydropower Project.
- The West Seti Dam is a proposed hydroelectric dam on the Seti River in the Far-Western Development Region of Nepal.
U.S. approves first pill with digital tracking device
The Food and Drug Administration has approved the first drug Abilify MyCite in the United States with a digital ingestion tracking system, in an unprecedented move to ensure that patients with mental illness take the medicine prescribed for them.
‘1st WHO Global Ministerial Conference on Ending TB in Sustainable Development Era’ held in Russia
The first Global Ministerial Conference on Ending TB in the Sustainable Development Era held in Moscow, Russia Federation on November 16, 17. The conference was themed “Ending TB in the Sustainable Development Era: A Multisectoral Response”.
- Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare represented India. There, he reaffirmed India’s commitment to eliminating TB by 2025.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBL Bank opens all women branch in Chennai
Private sector RBL Bank has set up an all women branch in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. The branch at R A Puram, would be managed by eight women and offer all products and services across liability and assets. The women branch is a testament to the bank’s efforts in encouraging gender equality.
Yes Bank ties up with Centre Denmark India for fintech collaboration
Private sector lender Yes Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Innovation Centre Denmark India (ICDK India), a partnership between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark and the Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science to bring fintech innovations and startups from Denmark to India, and facilitate entry of Indian startups to the region.
- The partnership aims to build bridges to promote innovation and assist fintech companies in India and Denmark to expand into each other’s markets.
India’s First Moody’s Upgrade in 14 Years Bets on Reforms
International credit rating agency Moody’s Investors Service has upgraded India’s bond rating for the first time in 14 years, saying continued progress in India’s economic and institutional reforms will enhance its high growth potential. It has upgraded India’s bond rating to Baa2 from its lowest investment grade (Baa3). It has changed the outlook for India’s rating to stable from positive.
- Moody’s has also upgraded India’s local currency senior unsecured rating to Baa2 from Baa3 and its short-term local currency rating to P-2 from P-3.
Moody’s upgrades NTPC, NHPC, NHAI & GAIL to Baa2 in line with India’s ratings
After upgrading India’s sovereign rating to Baa2 stable from Baa3 positive, Moody’s Investors Service has upgraded the ratings of infrastructure government-related issuers (GRIs) NTPC, NHPC, NHAI & GAIL to Baa2 in line with India’s sovereign ratings.
- Reliance Industries (RIL), India’s most valued firm by market capitalisation, which traditionally used to enjoy one notch above sovereign ratings by Moody’s continues to enjoy Baa2 ratings. RIL, without any ratings upgrade, is now at par with India’s sovereign ratings of Baa2.
France named as surprise host of 2023 Rugby World Cup
France will host the 2023 Rugby World Cup in a huge surprise after the Council of the sport’s governing body World Rugby’s Board announced so.
Former MP Abdul Mannan Hossain passes away
Former Murshidabad MP and senior Trinamool Congress leader Abdul Mannan Hossain has passed away.