Daily Current Affairs 17 November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi unveils 12.5-foot ‘Statue of Peace’ in Rajasthan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveils the “Statue of Peace” in Rajasthan’s Pali district via video-conferencing to mark the 151st birth anniversary celebrations of Jain monk Acharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj.
- The 151-inch-tall statue is made of “ashtadhatu” (eight metals with copper being the major constituent) and is being installed at the Vijay Vallabh Sadhana Kendra, Jetpura, in Rajasthan’s Pali.
World’s first tram library for children launched in Kolkata
The world’s first library for children on a tram would be launched in Kolkata on Children’s Day, which is celebrated to commemorate first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s birth anniversary.
- The Kolkata Young Reader’s Tramcar has been jointly developed by the West Bengal Transport Corporation (WBTC) and Apeejay Anand Children’s Library and will have around 1,000 books.
- The tram would run on Shyambazar-Esplanade and Esplanade-Gariahat routes, spanning across north and south Kolkata, every day from morning to evening.
MoHFW launches three-month scheme to reduce childhood pneumonia deaths
A three-month marketing campaign to give attention to consciousness technology and early intervention with regard to childhood pneumonia, enabling caregivers throughout the nation to establish vital signs at earlier phases and set off immediate care-seeking with certified suppliers, was launched by the Union Ministry of Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- The initiative targets to reduce lower than 5 pneumonia deaths, per a 1000 reside births, to lower than three deaths by 2025 via the accelerated SAANS (Social Action and Awareness to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully) initiative.
- Launched final 12 months, the SAANS marketing campaign enhances the nationwide childhood pneumonia administration tips via a three-pronged method to shield, forestall and deal with pneumonia amongst kids. Save the Children, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) have additionally partnered with the MoHFW so as to intensify efforts to alleviate the burden of pneumonia on the nation.
Indian astronomers collaborated with Nobel laureate on Thirty Meter Telescope Project
2020 Physics Nobel Laureate Prof. Andrea Ghez had worked closely with Indian astronomers on the design of backend instruments and possible science prospects of the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) project being installed at Maunakea in Hawaii, which can revolutionized the understanding of the universe and the enigmas in it.
- The Thirty-meter telescope (TMT) project is an international partnership between CalTech, Universities of California, Canada, Japan, China, and India; through the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
GDP to contract 8.6% in Q2: RBI
The GDP is likely to contract by 8.6 per cent for the July-September period, which means India will enter into a recession for the first time in history in the first half of this fiscal with two successive quarters of negative growth due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as per an RBI official.
- The RBI has estimated that the economy will contract by 9.5 per cent for the full fiscal year. Researchers have used the ‘nowcasting’ method to arrive at the estimates ahead of the official release of data and their views in an article in RBI’s monthly bulletin
- ‘India has entered a technical recession in the first half of 2020-21 for the first time in its history with Q2 2020-21 likely to record the second successive quarter of GDP contraction,’ as per the article titled ‘Economic Activity Index’, authored by Pankaj Kumar of the Monetary Policy Department.
Retail inflation jumps to 7.61% in October, highest in six years
India’s retail inflation rose to the highest in more than six years on account of elevated food prices.
- According to Consumer Price Index (CPI) data released by the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation, inflation stood at 7.61% in October — the highest since May 2014. Retail inflation recorded at 7.27% in September, according to data. The Consumer Food Price Index (CFPI) jumped to 11.07% in October, up from 10.68% in September.
- In October, inflation in meat and fish rose to 18.7% while vegetable prices increased to 22.51%. Clothing and footwear inflation stood at 3.17% in October.
Lewis Hamilton wins Turkish GP 2020
Lewis Hamilton has won the Turkish Grand Prix 2020 at Istanbul Park, Turkey. Sergio Perez secured the second position and Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari finished third.
- This was Hamilton 10th victory of the season and 94th F1 win of his career.
- With this win, he claimed the seventh Formula One championships title of his career to equal the record of Michael Schumacher.
Indian American Pia Dandiya Appointed the White House Fellow for 2020-21
Indian American Pia Dandiya has been appointed the White House Fellow for the year 2020-21.
- Dandiya, the founding principal of Democracy Prep Endurance High School in Harlem, New York, is the only Indian American among 14 White House Fellows announced this year.
HDFC Mutual Fund appoints Navneet Munot as MD and CEO
Navneet Munot has been appointed as managing director and chief executive officer of HDFC Asset Management Co. Ltd.
- Munot, who was earlier chief investment officer (CIO) at SBI Mutual Fund, will be succeeding Milind Barve, who has been MD and CEO of HDFC AMC since inception in 2000.
Senior Rajasthan Minister Bhanwar Lal Meghwal passes away
Rajasthan’s Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Bhanwarlal Meghwal died at a private hospital in Gurugram after prolonged illness. He was 71.
- Mr. Meghwal represented Churu district’s Sujangarh constituency in the Assembly and also held the Disaster Management and Relief portfolio. He was Education Minister in the previous Congress government between 2008 and 2013.
- Mr. Meghwal had entered politics after resigning as a physical training instructor in a government school. In his political career spanning 40 years, he was elected a member of the Assembly five times.
Former SBI Chairman PG Kakodkar passes away
Former chairman of State Bank of India (SBI) P G Kakodkar died in Panaji following a cardiac arrest.He was 83.
- Kakodkar joined SBI as a probationary assistant in the year 1957 and retired as chairman of the bank on March 31, 1997. During his tenure as chairman of the SBI, he was instrumental in the bank achieving several milestones.
- He was also on the Managing Committee of Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industries (GCCI).
Japanese Nobel-prize-winning neutrino pioneer Masatoshi Koshiba passes away
The Japanese physicist Masatoshi Koshiba, who shared 2002 Nobel prize for the detection of cosmic neutrinos, died. He was 94.
- Koshiba won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2002 for the discovery of elementary particles called neutrinos, along with American chemist Raymond Davis Jr and American-Italian astrophysicist Riccardo Giacconi.
- Koshiba played an active role in providing science education to young people, according to AP. With his Nobel award, he established a science foundation for high school and college students.
World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims
The World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims (WDR) is commemorated on the third Sunday of November each year to remember the many millions killed and injured on the world’s roads, together with their families, friends and many others who are also affected. This year World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims 2020 fall on November 15.
- The theme for World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims 2020 is “First Responders” .It recognises “the selfless men and women who rescue, care for and support victims of road trauma.”
International Day of Tolerance
The United Nations’ (UN) International Day for Tolerance is annually observed on November 16 to educate people about the need for tolerance in society and to help them understand the negative effects of intolerance.
- This day was created to encourage mindfulness and faith in human rights – in order to encourage equality and diversity across the world.
World Kindness Day
World Kindness Day is observed annually on November 13 as part of the World Kindness Movement to promote kindness throughout the world.
- The theme for the 2020 World Kindness day is Kindness: The World We Make – Inspire Kindness.