Daily Current Affairs 17 September 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre approves ₹200 Crore under PRASHAD scheme to boost tourism in North East Region
Union Tourism and DoNER minister G Kishan Reddy said that the Centre has sanctioned 16 projects under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme, which focuses on integrated development of theme-based tourist circuits, in the North Eastern region.
- The ministry also sanctioned Rs 200 crore and a number of projects in the region under the National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASHAD) schemes.
Defence Ministry constitutes High-Level Expert Committee for a comprehensive review of NCC
Ministry of Defence has constituted a High-Level Expert Committee for a comprehensive review of National Cadet Corps (NCC).The committee’s effort will be to make NCC more relevant in changed times.
- The Terms of Reference of the Committee broadly provide for suggesting measures which can empower NCC cadets to contribute more effectively towards nation building and national developmental efforts in various sectors.
- Former Member of Parliament Baijayant Panda will head the committee. Cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni, former Minister Colonel (Retd) Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, industrialist Anand Mahindra among others are members of the committee.
Kushinagar Airport declared as Customs Notified Airport
The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has declared Kushinagar Airport as a Customs notified airport. This would also facilitate international passenger movements including that of Buddhist pilgrims.
- The Kushinagar airport is an international airport spread across an area of 600 acres.It had been granted the licence to operate international flights by DGCA last February.
Cabinet allows 100% FDI in telecom sector via automatic route
The Union Cabinet allowed 100% foreign direct investment (FDI) in the country’s telecom sector via the automatic route, adding all safeguards will apply.
- Till now, only 49% of FDI was allowed through the automatic route and anything beyond this had to necessarily go through the government route.
Rs 14 lakh cr loans given under Kisan Credit Card so far: Agriculture Minister
Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar has said that benefits of Central Government schemes for Agriculture sector should reach the correct farmers at the conference of Lieutenant Governors and Administrators of all Union Territories in New Delhi.
- Mr Tomar said that loan target of 16 lakh crore rupees has been set for the current year and around 14 lakh crore rupees has already been given to the farmers through Kisan Credit Card.
- Mr Tomar said that under the Digital Agriculture Mission, the database of 5.5 crore farmers has been prepared and it will reach 8 crore by December this year.
NITI Aayog launches report on ‘Reforms in Urban Planning Capacity in India’
The NITI Aayog launched a report on measures to ramp up urban planning capacity in India, recommending ‘Healthy City for All’ by 2030.
- The report, titled ‘Reforms in Urban Planning Capacity in India’, stated that all the cities and towns under the proposed ‘Healthy Cities Programme’ should strengthen development control regulations based on scientific evidence to maximize the efficiency of urban land.
- It recommends that the states/UTs may need to expedite the filling up of vacant positions of town planners, and additionally sanction 8268 town planners posts as lateral entry positions for a minimum period of 3 years and a maximum of 5 years to meet the gaps.
BLS International ties up National Health Authority to process Ayushman Bharat cards across India
Tech-enabled services company BLS International said it has been empanelled for processing Ayushman Bharat cards under Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) by the National Health Authority.
- BLS will start processing Ayushman Bharat cards across India for the people to avail healthcare services at any of the empanelled hospitals in their respective regions, effective immediately.
- The cover includes cashless and paperless access to healthcare services for the beneficiary at the point of service in any of the empanelled hospitals.
Govt announces guarantee of up to Rs 30,600 crore to back Security Receipts to be issued by NARCL
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has said that the Union Cabinet approved government guarantee up to 30,600 crore rupees to back Security Receipts to be issued by National Asset Reconstruction Company Limited, NARCL.
- She said, Banks’ asset quality review had happened in 2015, for cleaning up and fully provisioning bank balance sheets, this revealed very high incidence of Non-Performing Assets, NPAs.
- The Minister said, along with NARCL, government is also setting up an India Debt Resolution Company Limited. She said, PSBs will have 51 per cent ownership in NARCL, while PSBs and public financial institutions will have a maximum of 49 per cent stake.
Niti Aayog in tie-up with ISRO,CBSE launch ‘Space Challenge’
Niti Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission in collaboration with ISRO and CBSE has launched ‘Space Challenge’ for school students across India.
- This challenge has been designed for all the school students, mentors and teachers across the country who not only are associated with schools having Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL) labs but for all the non-ATL schools as well.
- This is to ensure that students of classes 6 to 12 are given an open platform where they can innovate and enable themselves to solve digital age space technology problems.
US, UK and Australia announce formation of AUKUS – a new trilateral security partnership for Indo-Pacific region
US, UK and Australia have announced the formation of AUKUS – a new trilateral security partnership for Indo-Pacific region. It was announced in a joint address by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison and US President Joe Biden with a vision for a safer and more secure Indo-Pacific.
- The first project of AUKUS will be to help Australia acquire a nuclear-powered conventionally-armed submarine fleet.
- The three heads of state reaffirmed their intention to continue to work with their allies and groupings in tandem with AUKUS, with the Quad being mentioned by Morrison and Biden.
BANKING & FINANCE
Sidbi collaborates with Assam govt for development of MSMEs
The Small Industries Development Bank of India (Sidbi) said it participated in a special event held at the Administrative Staff College, Guwahati, Assam, to strengthen the state co-operation.
- During the event the KK Dwivedi, Principal Secretary, Industries & Commerce, presented the expectations of the state on three major themes: startups, cluster development and livelihood and enterprise promotion.
- He also requested Sidbi to extend its expertise to manage startup fund along with active state-level institutions and called upon Sidbi to help the state in formulating a suitable guarantee fund leveraging Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for Micro and Small Enterprises (CGTMSE).
Escorts ties up with IndusInd Bank for finance to farmers
To make its range of tractors and farm equipment more accessible, Escorts Ltd has partnered with IndusInd Bank to provide financial solutions to farmers.
- IndusInd Bank will offer farmers easy access to financial assistance in the form of loans in a seamless manner.
Power Finance Corp issues India’s first-ever Euro Green Bonds
Power Finance Corporation (PFC), a non-banking financial company (NBFC) under the power ministry, said it has issued its maiden 300-million-euro seven-year Euro Bond issuance on 13 September, 2021.
- The 7-year Bond has been priced at 1.841 per cent. This Euro Green Bond is the first-ever Euro denominated Green bond issuance from India. It is also the first-ever Euro issuance by an Indian NBFC. With the issuance, PFC has also forayed into the European market for its international fundraising.
- This issuance demonstrates our commitment for achieving India’s renewable energy goals. This bond issuance would help PFC in diversifying its currency book as well as the investor base.
Punjab & Sind Bank ties up with Indiabulls
Punjab & Sind Bank (PSB), a public sector bank, has entered into a strategic co-lending alliance with Indiabulls Commercial Credit and Indiabulls Housing Finance (IHFL) for MSME and Priority Sector Housing Loans respectively.
- The co-lending model will improve the flow of credit to the unserved and underserved sector of the economy and make available funds to the ultimate beneficiary at an affordable cost, considering the lower cost of funds from banks and greater reach of the NBFCs/ HFLs.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
PM Modi launches Sansad TV along with VP Naidu, LS Speaker Om Birla
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched “Sansad TV” along with Vice President of India and Rajya Sabha Chairperson, M Venkaiah Naidu and Lok Sabha speaker Om Birla at the Main Committee Room, Parliament House Annexe.The launch date coincided with the International Day of Democracy.
- Sansad TV is a merger of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha TV channels and will showcase the democratic ethos and the functioning of democratic institutions of the country.
- It will aim to target national and international audiences through its content.
Noted Kashmiri writer Aziz Hajini passes away
Noted writer and former secretary of Jammu and Kashmir Academy of Art, Culture and Languages Aziz Hajini passed away in Srinagar after a brief illness. He was 64.
- Hajini, who hailed from Hajin Sonawari area of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district, held several positions in academic and literary circles, including as secretary of the Jammu and Kashmir Academy of Art, Culture and Languages, and authored several books.
Two-time Olympic hammer gold medallist Yuriy Sedykh passes away
Yuriy Sedykh, a two-time Olympic champion in hammer throw whose world record from 1986 still stands, has passed away. He was 66.
- Sedykh won gold at the 1976 and 1980 Olympics, but missed the 1984 Games because of a Soviet boycott. He claimed silver at the 1988 Seoul Olympics and won a world title in 1991.
- Sedykh threw a world record 86.74m at the European Championships in Stuttgart, a mark which still stands. At this year’s Tokyo Olympics, all 12 finalists in men’s hammer were born after Sedykh set the record.
Tamil Nadu govt celebrates 143rd birthday of E.V. Ramasamy as Social Justice Day
Tamil Nadu Government is celebrating the 143rd birthday of E.V. Ramasamy as Social Justice Day on September 17,2021.
- Chief Minister M.K. Stalin administered social justice pledge to Government staff at the Secretariat. He will also garland the statue of Periyar at the arterial Anna Salai.
World Patient Safety Day
The World Patient Safety Day is marked worldwide on September 17 to raise global awareness about patient safety and to encourage individuals to demonstrate their commitment to making healthcare safer.
- On World Patient Safety Day 2021, with the theme “Safe maternity and newborn care,” WHO encourages all stakeholders to “Act now for safe and compassionate delivery!”
Hyderabad Liberation Day being observed
Hyderabad Liberation Day is celebrated on September 17 to mark the historic accession of the princely state of Hyderabad into the Indian Union.
- ‘Operation Polo’, as the famous “Police Action” was codenamed, brought down the curtains on an oppressive Nizam’s rule on this day in 1948.