Daily Current Affairs 17 September 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Modi launches world’s first Cheetah Rehabilitation Project by releasing eight cheetahs brought from Namibia at MP’s Kuno National Park
Prime Minister Narendra Modi released 8 wild Cheetahs, which had become extinct from India, in Kuno National Park. Cheetahs which have been brought from Namibia are being introduced in India under Project Cheetah, which is world’s first inter-continental large wild carnivore translocation project.
- The release of wild Cheetahs by the Prime Minister is part of his efforts to revitalise and diversify India’s wildlife and its habitat. The cheetah was declared extinct from India in 1952.
- The Tiger Population in India has increased from 2 thousand 226 in 2014 to 2 thousand 967 in 2018. The budgetary allocation for tiger conservation was raised from 185 crore rupees in 2014 to 300 crore rupees in 2022.
- The population of Asiatic Lions also recorded a steady increase with a population of 674 individuals since 2015. So far it has witnessed one of the highest growth rate of 28.87 percent.
- Besides, the country has also witnessed over 60 percent increase in the population of leopard since 2014. The number of leopard has gone up from 7 thousand 910 in 2014 to 12 thousand 852 in 2020.
India takes over SCO rotating presidency, to host SCO summit next year
The rotational presidency of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization has been handed over to India in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. Delhi will hold the presidency of the grouping for a year until September 2023. And next year, India will host the SCO summit.
- PM Modi visited Uzbekistan to take part in SCO summit under Uzbekistan presidency.
- Also, Varanasi has been nominated as the first-ever Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Tourism and Cultural Capital during the period 2022-2023 at the 22nd Meeting of SCO Council of Heads of State in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
USAID and UNICEF launches Doordarshan and YouTube series titled ‘Door Se Namaste’ in New Delhi
The US Agency for International Development and UNICEF launched the Doordarshan and YouTube series titled Door Se Namaste at function held in New Delhi.
- Door Se Namaste is a new television series which promotes healthy behaviours in a post-pandemic world. It is a fictional Hindi series developed in an entertainment education format highlighting the challenges of a post-pandemic world and promotes the adoption of healthy behaviour and practices.
India’s first Forestry University to be established in Telangana
India is soon going to get its first forest university. The Telangana legislative assembly approved the University of Forestry (UOF) Act 2022. The University of Forestry (UOF) will be the first of its kind in the country. With only Russia and China having forest universities in the world, globally, this will be the third university of forestry.
- The Government of Telangana has decided to expand Forest College and Research Institute (FCRI) in Hyderabad into a full-fledged university.
India Stands 4th in Global Crypto Adoption Index 2022
As India’s crypto market faces legal and other hurdles, it fell from the second to fourth spot in the 2022 Global Crypto Adoption Index, crypto analysis firm Chainalysis said in a report.
- The index tracks countries adopting cryptocurrencies or investing in the digital assets. The study finds that India’s crypto adoption at the grassroots level was higher than the US, ranked fifth on the index.
- Vietnam is ranked first in cryptocurrency adoption with an overall index ranking of 1.000. The Philippines and Ukraine have taken the second and third rankings, respectively.
BANKING & FINANCE
Federal Bank ranked 63rd in Best Workplaces in Asia 2022 by Great Place to Work
Federal Bank was ranked 63 on the Best WorkplacesTM in Asia 2022 and became the only Indian bank to be listed by Great Place to Work®, the global authority on workplace culture. The list is based on over 1 million survey responses across Asia and the Middle East, representing the experience of more than 4.7 million employees in the region.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India Ratings cuts India’s FY23 GDP growth forecast to 6.9% from 7%
India Ratings cut the India’s FY23 gross domestic product forecast to 6.9 per cent from 7 per cent, joining other institutions who have cut their projections to below 7 per cent since the release of the April-June quarter GDP data.
- India Ratings projects GDP growth of 7.2 per cent in July-September FY23 quarter, 4 per cent in October-December and 4.1 per cent in February-March.
Vinesh Phogat scripts history; first Indian woman wrestler to win two medals at the World Championships
Vinesh Phogat has become the first Indian woman wrestler to win two medals at the World Championships after clinching a bronze in 53 kilogram category in Belgrade, Serbia.
- The Commonwealth Games 2022 gold medalist defeated reigning European champion Emma Malmgren of Sweden.4
- This is her second bronze medal at the Championships. She had previously earned a podium position in the 2019 edition of the tournament at Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
Pranav Anand Becomes India’s 76th Chess Grandmaster
Bengaluru teenager Pranav Anand became India’s 76th Grandmaster after he crossed the 2,500 Elo mark in the World Youth Chess Championship in Mamaia, Romania.
- To become a GM, a player has to secure three GM norms and cross the live rating of 2,500 Elo points.
India’s Pranav Anand & A R Ilamparthi win titles at World Youth Chess Championship in Romania
In World Youth Chess Championship, India’s Pranav Anand and A R Ilamparthi won titles in the Open under-16 and under-14 categories respectively in Mamaia in Romania.